Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Rob posted about his front brakes I want to jump in about my rear one. The foot lever is very hard to mash and stop the bike. I can lock them up but it takes a lot of pressure to do so. They do a great job when using the hand lever. I have only ridden one other rinny and it was the same way. It was the demo at the dealer and I made a post on several boards and the feedback was mostly that it was out of adjustment. Does anyone else have hard to mash foot levers?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Duramax,
Mine is the same way. Becasue it is so hard to mash, I use it to descend steep hills in lieu of the non-existant engine braking (which isn't a problem for me).

John

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mines the same way. Duramax, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's supposed to be that way. The rear brake is very easy to lock up and if you are decending a hill using the rear brakes, you don't want them to lock up so you use the foot brake. I'm not even sure if there is an adjustment, I just don't think that lever pushes as much pressure through the lines as the the hand lever does.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe so. I just don't think Honda would overlook something like that but I may be wrong. I usually am.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I've read for the rear brake; the foot pedal provides hydraulic activation and the hand lever is mechanical. Is this so?

It seems like the running board gets in the way of getting full use from the foot pedal. I wonder if the pedal is on a splined shaft and can be reattached one spline higher. I'll have to take a look after dinner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats funny, Dirt wheels said the brakes were great! That just goes to show you how much those *********** really know.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Yea, mine are the same way,but as stated earlier i like them that way for going down steep inclines,they don't lock up the rear brakes as bad.

·
Registered
576 Posts
bihjohn1028;
I use the front brakes sometimes when negotiating really tricky steep stuff for the same reason. The front brake doesn't lock things up easily and so it is much more forgiving in those situations. I mostly use both brakes, but sometimes in those scarey places where skidding would be catastrophic,,the front brake's weakness is welcome.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Briman, this is true...sort of. The foot lever, actually directly pushes a hydraulic "pump" which activates the rear brake. The hand lever pulls a cable, which goes back and pulls on a lever which pushes the "pump" and activates the rear brakes.

I personally think it's just a matter of the foot brake actually built to work that way, they have set it up to push only so much pressure to the rear brake. Whereas the hand lever is full power, because you barely touch it and that sucker locks up no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts