Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Rincon with about 6,000 miles. I bought it used and have put about 1,000 miles on it in the last year. I have noticed if I don't turn the gas tank to off I get a gas smell in the garage. When I take the seat off, I can see gas/wet residue around carburetor and when I look underneath the there appears to be a drip out the drip line. Would this mean the float is possibly stuck. I haven't cleaned or rebuilt the carburetor because it has been running fine but it is hard to crank in cold weather and stay idling. Just looking for some opinions if I should try and rebuild the carburetor or just go ahead and buy a new one and start fresh.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
They are not that hard to rebuild if you have done that stuff before. Just make sure to replace the float needle and seat and all gaskets and o-rings. Also take note of the position of the a/f screw. Before removing it screw it in and note the exact number of turns. Then remove it and replace it to the same position.

·
Super Moderator
6,427 Posts
The older ones have a primer pump on the carb, which will also leak, continuously. Make sure you address that while rebuilding it.
In cold weather, turn the key on for a minute before you hit the start button, with full choke. Should pop on easily.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
If the pilot passage has deposits, that can cause it to run slightly lean at idle and be cold blooded. Deposits on the float valve can also cause it to seep. It may just need a good cleaning, but due to its age I’d probably do the rebuild kit.

Shutting off the fuel and running the fuel out of the carb before parking long term will help it start more easily. Fuel goes stale fastest in small quantities when exposed to air (like in the float bowl). Ethanol makes it worse.

Lastly the tension on the enricher knob can be adjusted by turning the round housing behind the knob. Sometimes they get loose and allow the knob to vibrate back in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oilcan,

Does all Rincon from 2003-2005 come with the heater for the carbs? I will try the turn key for 1 minute to see if it make a difference once it gets cooler here in hot Louisiana.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rebuilding them is not that difficult. Take some pictures of the way your vent lines connect before disassembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah you are doing good just repair that and check all seals is ok and make sure to check gas pipes also, I have experienced the similar issue i faced on the road so i had to take roadside assistance service and get fix at home garage i just changed all seals and problem got solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts