Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Rinconers,
I have a 2003 green rincon and just put 27 inch ITP 589 tires on it, i would like to know what simple changes can i make to get more power out of the old girl ? Would like to hear from some of you guys who have allready made some changes. As you can see i am from Maine where the going can get tough. Most of the guys up here buy the 650 Kawi. or the Yam.Griz., so as you can guess i take alot of teasing about my new Rincon but i really do like it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, first of all I hear nothing but good things about the K&N powerkit. It's only $118 or so from Highlifter. It really improves throttle response and gets rid off ALL the low end bog that Rincons are netorious(sp?) for. I also plan on doing an exhaust mod. All it really is is putting a bigger tailpipe on. From the stock size now to 1 3/4". Everyone I have talked to said the powerkit and the exhaust mod are the cheapest ways to really improve the Rincon. I guess you could also buy an HFM of FMF aftermarket exhaust for it also. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Don't waste your money on crap from Highlifter. Get a regular K&N filter and DynoJet kit from Rocky Mountain ATV and it'll cost around $90 and it's the same stuff. Most of Highlifter's stuff is either overpriced or just plain crap.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys... great site... can't wait to see it get going!

Anyway, just installed a HMF slip on exhaust and DynoJet kit on my Rincon. Haven't ridden it much yet... so my thoughts may change when I can really open it up on a long ride... but I wouldn't say I saw a huge increase in power with this set up. I didn't do the air filter or make any air box mods b/c they don't make a pre-filter (charger) for the K&N high flow filter... at least I couldn't find one.... and I was worried about crap getting in. Anyway... I had the jet kit installed at the dealer.... they used a DJ148 main.... the largest Main the kit came with was a DJ150 Main.. the smallest was a DJ134.

As for noise... at idle it is only a little bit louder than the stock set up.... although I do have the quiet core and spark arrestor installed.... but when you get on the throttle a bit... wow... it's loud.... but it really sounds great... real throaty.

As for getting the most out of this set up.... the most speed / low end power that is.... anything else you guys would suggest that I tweak?

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can't tell much of a difference even with aftermarket exhaust? From what I hear, the Rincons exhaust is very restrictive. I am just waiting to see if Supertrapp makes an IDS2 series muffler for it.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I'm holding out for the one by MBRP. They said they have one in the works but couldn't give me a date. Theirs will be especially nice because it never needs to be repacked.

I'm not fond of SuperTrapp. I have the IDS-X on my Grizzly and one of the bolts that hold the discs in snapped and they agreed to replace the core, but then they suddenly stopped responding to my emails and I can't reach anyone by phone. Hmph.

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
rob, ill have my power tech 4 from mbrp next week, i know your not fond of highlifter, but scott the owner tested it for 500 miles last week end and was very inpressed.
olive---you have to do the filter, if you add more fuel and let more air out, you have to allow more air in. the prefilter is the same for the rubicon, thats what i got.

and yes with all three it makes it a hole different bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK... I went out and rode for a little while tonight.... and it isn't running right at all. The low end power is a bit better.... will almost pick the front wheels off the ground from a standstill.... but the mid and high range power is nonexistant.... totally flat. It is sputtering and choking out when I get near the redline. I'll have to take it back in and have some adjustments. I'll get the K&N too... I should have just gotton it in the first place... thanks for the heads up on swapping in the Rubicon prefilter.

About the running problem:

Did this happen to anyone here (I guess I'm assuming it is running rich from my symptoms.... does that make sense)? Any advice on the set up would be greatly appreciated....I know mine is the first Rincon my dealer has jetted w/ a pipe and I don't think they know exactly what to do either.... BTW I'm in Western New York... elevation 500 - 2500 feet the vast majority of the time.... again... here's my set up:

HMF exhaust w/ quiet core and spark arrestor
Dyno Jet kit (spring, etc) using DJ148 main
27" Mud Lites
K & N Air Filter (I'll be purchasing one)

Thanks in advance for any help....

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Olive:

It sounds to me like your main jet is way too big and the needle may be set too high. Basically you're running way rich up top. So start by dropping the main jet one size and lower the needle one clip position and try again.

As for Highlifter, I only hate them because their customer service sucks and many of their products are crap. Oh, and they run their forum like a bunch of Nazis. :)

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the posts... I went out this afternoon and played around.. ended up taking tyhe top of the air box off... and BANG... holy crap.... what a difference.... as other people have said it is like a different machine. I'm going to drop in the K&N and see what happens.... then take it back and have them put a smaller jet in if needed.... thanks again...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey bud! I know where Baileyville is...Im in Dover-Foxcroft...

Add a pipe, a K&N and the Dyno jey kit and thats it...

or, you can get rid of the heavy-ass 589s and get smoe ultra light Mudbugs ...which will work just as good where you ride.

Im not knocking your set up, but I had 589s on my 660 Grizz and I got rid of the boat anchors because they dragged me down too much. The 589s do pretty well in mud and snow, but Ill bet you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in performance between the 589s and the bugs....

...those 589s are just too damn heavy....especially for a machine with no low range...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Where can you find MBRP, I would like to look at the stats on them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The mbrp site does not list the price on the pipes, what do they run for the Rincon pipe?

·
Registered
59 Posts
One mod that I did that was simple was clipping a few lengths of the stock slide spring. That's the part of the jet kit (the lighter spring) that makes the most improvement. with this mod it REALLY woke the big girl up. Turn the pilot screw out a turn as well.

Can't yet do wheelies (only about 150 miles on my 04) but I am looking for a bigger pilot and a bigger main. I'm sticking with keihin jets because I hate the way dynojet numbers their stuff. Sticking with the stock pipe too and going to a uni filter.

If anyone has a 55 keihin pilot lying around or a 160 keihin main jet lying around and willing to part with it, let me know and I'll paypal ya some dough to mail them off my way!

If not, and you know which part number it is from www.carbparts.com, I'm all ears as well. There are two listed that look exactly like the jets, so I'm not sure which one it is.. I emailed them but I'm sure they won't respond.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mudcon...

...let us know how loud the power tech is. Ill probably get one, but Ill run it with the spark arrestor. Ill do the dyno jet kit at the same time and do away with the larger stock jet and exhaust mod...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts