Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the accolades heaped upon PRM, I'm sorry to report one disappointment. Of all the underbody protection PRM offers, the one item needed most on the Rincon is the front skid plate, as the stock part is pretty thin material.

Like many aftermarket items, their front skid does not fit too well and is the cause of much frustration. It is attached with the four stock bolts. No matter how you do it, three of the bolts go in well, but positioning the fourth is all but impossible. Sure enough, my struggles to make it fit cross-threaded that fourth bolt, eventually stripping the threads. Had to put in a smaller bolt wtih a ny-lock nut behind it. That sort of thing bugs me. I guess if it bugs me enough, I'll buy a new subframe for $102 and spend an hour replacing it...but for now, I'll just bitch a little.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Dave, you could probably get a metric tap & die set at Sears for around $15. Just a thought. Beats the hell out of $102 for a new subframe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You should have filed out the hole on the plate and you would have been ok.
PRM is the best protection available.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well I have to say that my underbody skid plate is missing some bolts because the holes did not line up right. PRM sent me another underbody to see if the first one was defective, but the second one was the same. The fact that mine did not line up was not their fault but rather honda's because a lot of the stock holes are tweeked and you have to go in at different angles to make the bolts thread in straight. For anyone else putting on a skid plate, i know it is already too late for you dave-o, take the old plates off and then put the bolts back in by themselves to see what kind of angle they sit at. That was pointed out to me on here so I just figured I would pass it on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yes there are any number of should haves, could haves, but what's done is done, and I only offered this post at a warning to others so they can file out the holes instead of ruining a subframe as I did. I think the holes should be a little larger to allow for individual bike variation. I love the plate, but I don't like the holes. PRM may be the best, but they are NOT perfect.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ya wanna talk not perfect, talk about the Armidillo belly plate. I thought that a "Plastic" skid would be good cause it is light weight, strong, (I read their advertising), to make a long story longer, the plate was secured with larger bolts in the original holes and washers at the back of the plate, where there is not much banging around but at the front, where you take the most abuse, they use two hose clamps. I swear... I couldn't believe it. On my first ride after it was put on, I got 27 miles before the darn thing came folded in half like a cheap suit. On top of that, the hole for the oil plug didn't line up, it was centered and should have been offset. I talked to the owner before I ever put it on saying I wanted to send it back and he told me he could not allow me to send it back... All I would have to do is cut a larger hole. This item was supposed to be "Custom Made" for the Rincon. I should not have to do any backyard maintenance to it. I will never do business with them again and I will continue to tell all my friends about the lousy service. Sorry for the rant but it upsets me when I spend 139 bucks for nothing...

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I too had trouble with the PRM front bashplate. I think it could be welded up a little better. I ended up enlarging a couple of the holes, cross-threading one of the holes in the subframe, and ultimately putting a smaller nut and bolt through it too.

But crap, that thing is so strong you can probably hit a stump at 40 mph and not hurt it. :)

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear I was not the only one with problems leading to a cross thread! (I really felt like an idiot).

DT

·
Registered
807 Posts
I like the PRM plates, but must agree that the bolt alignment was poor and could have been done better. I went a step further and modified mine to give full coverage to the floorboards as well. I also made the oil plug access a flush door. (check profile for pics) I found that using a solid plate in mud would create a suction that would make it harder to get through and more difficult to pull out when stuck. I added some stretegicly placed holes "bingo", no more suction. (drains the floorboards better too) They work perfect now. I'm still working on changing the front bash plate. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to modify the front bash plate (spreading out the hole to the correct location) I believe I ended up with three new bolts and the fourth is a black OEM. I was unable to get one screw in on the bottom skid plate. The A-Arm skids were perfect.

They are very heavy duty but for just about $500 I should not have had the problems I did/have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts