Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a Rincon in on a trade for a jeep I got rid of. Great 4 wheeler. 17 miles later, threw the oil pump chain. I opened the engine, replaced the timing chain, oil pump chain, O-rings, gaskets etc and added a high compression piston for a little more power.

Cranked it up, engine stalled, lost the chain again. This project is to permanently fix the problem.

Started with the old timing chain guide since the timing chain and oil pump chain are a similar type, silent chain.
Next, fabbed up a bracket that uses the bolts that hold the oil pickup tube. Added longer bolts and a 1/2" spacer to the top (behind the bracket, on the bolt)
This is where I am today. Currently waiting on a shoulder bolt to show up that will hold the tensioner in place. I also have a rotary spring that will push the tensioner into the chain. As you can see, currently where this tentioner is at, there is no way for the chain to come off.

I will post more photos once my bolts come in. Any feedback is welcomed

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shoulder bolts came in. Installed. All seems to align just fine. Now just have to measure for a torsion spring and it's ready to go back in the bike Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Transmission part Pipe

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I were you I think I'd be applying for a patent on that and selling them on ebay.

Wouldn't be a huge market, but with the cost of mass producing them it would be worth your while.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
I agree with jeepwm69. It will need to be tested under real time running conditions. Will it last, will it continue to work over time and mileage? Also can you give us the time and cost it takes to produce the parts needed for this mod? I'm sure if you buy in bulk the cost will go down, but how much time did it take you to create the bracket or lever? I see that a lot of the parts can be bought premade. What do you think you can sell this mod for and still make a profit for yourself?

Reactions: jeepwm69

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
I agree with jeepwm69. It will need to be tested under real time running conditions. Will it last, will it continue to work over time and mileage? Also can you give us the time and cost it takes to produce the parts needed for this mod? I'm sure if you buy in bulk the cost will go down, but how much time did it take you to create the bracket or lever? I see that a lot of the parts can be bought premade. What do you think you can sell this mod for and still make a profit for yourself? It will need to be sold in a kit with everything needed to do the mod once the tranny is opened up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really interested in making money. I've always been told not to turn hobbies into business because then you have no hobbies.

I had the metal and drilled the holes on my drill press. I've got $3 in bolts, that's the tensioner i took off of the cam chain and an $8 spring. Pretty cheap overall

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not really interested in making money. I've always been told not to turn hobbies into business because then you have no hobbies.

I had the metal and drilled the holes on my drill press. I've got $3 in bolts, that's the tensioner i took off of the cam chain and an $8 spring. Pretty cheap overall
that looks like a good mod. I have read of the oil pump chain jumping off the sprocket on high milage bikes.
have u figured out why a new chain would jump off so quick. can u give us some clues as to what to do and what not to do?????????
TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes actually. When i put my new chain on, i pinched it together to make sure it stayed on the sprocket. Very loose.

I checked when i pulled it apart, you can actually pull down on the oil pump as you tighten the oil pump bolts and it gets significantly tighter. Felt decent actually. There is some slop in the oil pump bolt through holes

Just not sure what happens when you bolt the front cover on whether it moves the pump back or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts

How did you cut the metal to the exact shape? Got a plasma cutter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Took a Rincon in on a trade for a jeep I got rid of. Great 4 wheeler. 17 miles later, threw the oil pump chain. I opened the engine, replaced the timing chain, oil pump chain, O-rings, gaskets etc and added a high compression piston for a little more power.

Cranked it up, engine stalled, lost the chain again. This project is to permanently fix the problem.

Started with the old timing chain guide since the timing chain and oil pump chain are a similar type, silent chain.
Next, fabbed up a bracket that uses the bolts that hold the oil pickup tube. Added longer bolts and a 1/2" spacer to the top (behind the bracket, on the bolt)
This is where I am today. Currently waiting on a shoulder bolt to show up that will hold the tensioner in place. I also have a rotary spring that will push the tensioner into the chain. As you can see, currently where this tentioner is at, there is no way for the chain to come off.

could u tell us the year and how many miles on your bike and any one else that's had a oil pump chain
jump the sprocket. pls include the year and mileage. I realise that diff years and diff batch of chains
ill affect longevity. I would rather replace it before it leaves me stranded.
TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you cut the metal to the exact shape? Got a plasma cutter?
Just cut it with my bandsaw.

As far as the rincon, it's a 2005 with 3500 miles. I am not the only owner so I'm sure it's had an average life. Found rust and mud in everything

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
It's odd that you needed to permanently fix a problem that I have not had in over 12,000 miles. We have some other Rincons here that went over 30,000 miles without an oil pump chain issue.

Why do you think its throwing the chain to begin with? (Never mind, post #10 answered my question)

Reactions: Oilcan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's odd that you needed to permanently fix a problem that I have not had in over 12,000 miles. We have some other Rincons here that went over 30,000 miles without an oil pump chain issue.

Why do you think its throwing the chain to begin with? (Never mind, post #10 answered my question)
Yea i really thought about just putting it back together while pulling on the pump to make the chain tighter but i enjoy doing things like this. Figured i would share

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,832 Posts
I can believe the replies.... I think guys like you are the 1 off's, you see something needing a tweak and you tweak it. Nothing wrong with modifications when they either enhance or amplify I always say.

Corndog is right about us long timers not hearing much about the oil pump chain, I think you truly "figured it out" when you noticed tension increasing on the chain as you pulled on the pump. I will be most curious as to the longevity of the chain tensioner. Please keep us posted.
1 question. What tension is the new spring, in grams? and Thank you for your posts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can believe the replies.... I think guys like you are the 1 off's, you see something needing a tweak and you tweak it. Nothing wrong with modifications when they either enhance or amplify I always say.

Corndog is right about us long timers not hearing much about the oil pump chain, I think you truly "figured it out" when you noticed tension increasing on the chain as you pulled on the pump. I will be most curious as to the longevity of the chain tensioner. Please keep us posted.
1 question. What tension is the new spring, in grams? and Thank you for your posts.
Maybe so. However i can't explain why the chain fell off the first time. As far as i can tell the engine has never been apart. Just luck of the draw i guess.

I know if the chain coming off is that sensitive to the position of the oil pump then just machining tolerances and assembly differences could be the difference between my chain off at 3500 miles and your chain still on at 30,000.

I wanted to make sure it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Usually on parts like that that need to stay perfectly aligned you will see alignment pins. Which will also hold the gaskets a place when your reassembling. I do not have the Service manual in front of me at the moment are you sure they weren't left off from a previous repair

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I did not mean to be a smart ass. If your mod fixes your issue then it worked. I have been tightening the spring in stock Rincon cam chain tensioners myself, to make them have an extended adjustment range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Usually on parts like that that need to stay perfectly aligned you will see alignment pins. Which will also hold the gaskets a place when your reassembling. I do not have the Service manual in front of me at the moment are you sure they weren't left off from a previous repair
No dowels. The alignment is set by the small seal holder pieces between the case halves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts