Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an off shoot of the Black rims thread, in a twisted way...

From the other thread:

"I think my biggest question at the moment is if the steel wheels are all black, or black and chrome. If you noticed, i am kinda set on an all black wheel... Thought about painting the entire rinny all black, that would be amusing... but i doubt it would be durable... unless i use black plasti-coat.... ut-ohh, i might have an idea here... and thats scary..."

Well, on a whim and some brain damage, i am painting the Rinny black...

Found some Plasti-Dip spray at Lowes... and the fun begins

This might be a way for those who want to change colors to do so economically... the stuff comes in black, red, blue, clear, white, and some other color that i can't remember... when it dries it leaves a rubber like coat on the plastic...

See my profile for some Pics of the first stage... i will add them as i get more done... waiting for them to dry, so i can put on another coat...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Plasti-Dip;
Is that the stuff you spray on water and then dip the part into the water, transferring the paint/coating onto the part?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was also thinking of painting my rinny black in the future. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay, Plasti-Dip is either a spray or a liquid. You can dip things (like a wrench handle) in the liquid to plastic (rubber) coat it, no water needed. Good for slip resistance and it does not conduct electricity. The spray, is just like spray paint, and is good for things too big to be dipped. Update: Didn't have time to "paint" the entire rinny. Got the back half done, the front will have to wait for this week / after memorial day. Things went well, the stuff is easy to use and cheap enough to buy... total cost of the project so far < $20 I have a feeling that the coating is not going to stand up to scratches too well. Means two things, bad for bush-wacking, good if you want to go back to stock colors... Looks like with a little effort it can be peeled off... New pics in my profile, like this:

·
Registered
338 Posts
that is the first thing thieves do here,paint it black,so don't be alarmed if someone wants to check out your vin..just a heads up..when i got my 450 back from the meth people(who stole it)it was black,yellow and some sort of pink/red color and oh yeah they brushed it on...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Yellow650. I am ordering the black C-series with 26" Dirt Devils XT's today or tomorrow. The debate over black Delta steels vs. Black C-series is what sparked this whole experiment. Now i just have to paint the front, which will be a bit of work to get all the crap off the front to get to it. Oh well, taking it apart and putting it back together is half the fun. I learned a ton about the rinny and how it was put together doing this... My hard copy of the service manual came Saturday... perfect timing...

Toolman, at least you got it back. Hopefully, it was not too messed up.
Thanks for the heads up on that, i don't think i would have thought of that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dave,
How ironic. My hard copy of the service manual came on Saturday also. Your toy looks neat in black. I am curious how it will hold up with things hitting it. Keep us informed.

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The real test will be the mud, and moreover, sticks. I feel pretty sure that the coating i put inside the wheel wells will get scratched off first... But then again, it will be easy to fix...

I wonder if a product like Rhino-lining or Line-X would stick to plastic...
oh god, here we go again....

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the spray-on liner stuff due to its weight. Plus I don't think it's meant to flex that well, so it'd likely crack. I think the best way to do this is what you're already doing with the spray-on stuff. You may find that you'll have to rough up the plastic, and maybe even prime it to get it to stick well.

Once you're done, get some good photos and maybe send 'em to Honda in the hopes they'll wise up and offer some DIFFERENT colors besides the standard red, yellow and olive green.

Or heck, talk to Fullbore. Maybe the'd do some 4x4 plastic instead of just sport quad platsic.

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about roughing up the plastic to allow the Plasti-Dip to stick better. Little bit of fine sandpaper should do the trick, but that kills the ability to go back to the stock color...

now the racks are a different story... i noticed that the scratches to the original carrier racks were starting to rust, so i think i am going to sand them down and coat them well with plasti-dip... if that does not take the abuse, then i am going to try Line-X or something similar...

I will get some pictures once it is all finished - a solid black rinny, with black rims, plastic, racks, etc... thought about coating the engine shields, but i am a little apprehensive, since they tend to get a bit on the warm side... not sure the plasti-dip will take it... last thing i need is a patch of melted plastic on the inside of the leg...

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I wouldn't go too far on the all-black thing. I'd leave the engine covers stock for now. I would even suggest leaving the front rack silver until you're done with the fender, just to see what it looks like. It might look slick with silver racks and all black otherwise.

Heck, I think it'd look slick with shiny wheels (C-Series or Maxlites). But that's just me.

I can vouch that bedliner does do well on the racks. I had my Grizzly's racks done six months ago and they still look awesome.

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That just might be an idea... Silver racks might look pretty sharp on an otherwise black machine... only thing is, you have to take the front rack off to get to the plastic that covers the nose... that would be the time to do it... then again, i could do the plastic first, loose fit it for a trial, and then decide to turn them black, or leave them silver...

ahh the endless choices... thanks for the input...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, its done. The rinny is now black, head to toe. The black C-series look sharp. Waiting to see how the rubber coat holds up against some mud and sticks.

New pics in the profile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just an FYI if anyone else is thinking about painting their machine. I saw some stuff at Home Depot, I think it was called Fusion, that is similar to spray paint, but is supposed to bond to plastic through some sort of a chemical reaction. It's specifically made for the purpose of painting plastic and would probably hold up far better than regular old spray paint. By the way, your machine looks good. It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up over time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw that stuff too. I was told that it sticks well to plastic, but was not meant for applications that require flexability... i.e. it will crack if flexed... I was goiing to try some of that Fusion in a wheel well if the plasti-dip did not take the abuse i was hoing for, as a comparison...

·
Registered
2 Posts
well I hapened to have went to the honda shop today and it turns out that they are coming out with a factory model with black plastic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

For those who have followed this series. I have put on a few miles through the mud and sticks. The Plasti-coat has held up nearly flawlessly on the plastic. I have noticed that it is a bit harder to clean than the normal plastic, kinda acts like the fender flares. No cuts in the coating, to date, due to mud and sticks... i have noticed that it separated around the bolt holes, where there is a lot of friction due to the tightening of the bolts. Also, it shows a bit of red through where the seat hits the plastic. However, you can't see it when the seat is on..

The racks have not done as well. Seems the coating does not stick to the slick metal surface. Might have to go the Line-x / Rhinocoat route on them...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess you can just go out and buy OEM black plastic now that the '05 Rincons offer it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts