Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ten months ago, shortly after buying my Rincon, I put the Ramsey 3000 winch on it... the one with the wireless remote. I did this after finding out how crappy Warn is about letting you order machine-specific parts -- meaning they won't let you. You have to buy a winch in order to get the switchgear for a specific ATV, so I couldn't reuse the Warn 2500 I had on my Arctic Cat 400i that I was selling. That's when I decided to boycott Warn.

So I got the Ramsey. It was right at $400 from ATV North. I already had the winch mount from Warn that I got at the dealer. It bolted up just fine. Wiring was actually easier than a Warn because it only required sending one wire aft -- to the positive side of the battery.

The rest was all done up front. They include a waterproof brain box and a hard-wired switch in addition to the remote control box. I mounted all of it in the front on top of the winch mounting plate.

Yesterday was the first time I ever used it. Hard to believe it's been almost a year and I haven't needed it. :)

It worked absolutely flawlessly, and did so better than the old A2000 on my Grizzly. My lazy mounting of the hard switch down by the winch turned out to be a very good place for it, so it'll stay there. I do plan to mount another switch up near the bars someplace so I don't have to dig around for the remote if I need to be on the machine.

The best part is that the winch did NOT stall no matter what. It nearly did once, when it was faced with getting the Rinny up and over a particularly nasty rock, but it ultimately didn't. I've stalled the A2000 on my Grizzly several times.

So the bottom line here is that I HIGHLY recommend this winch!

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will second that. The ramsey 3000 wireless was the first mod. i put on my rincon. (only had it about 2 months now) It was easy to install and has worked flawlessly. I have had to use it on several occasions now. Then again, i was looking for a reason to use it, so i would try to go through the nastiest stuff i could find.

I put the aux. switch on the bottom left of the console (on the black plastic below the left handle bar, not on the face of the console) and that seems to have been an ideal location. Steer and gas with the right hand and winch with the left.

I thought about the warn, which i have never had issues with personally, but chose the ramsey when i found it on the web for $324 shipped. I would have paid at least another $100 for a warn. I chose to save the $100 for more mods., and have not regretted it for a second.

I have a feeling i will be using it less once i get some new tires. Stockers just don't cut it in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I also have the Ramsey 3000 with the wireless remote. I welded a receiver mod on the rear multimount which stores my winch high & clear of any water. I put the contactor where the tool pouch was and it looks factory. I use the spider sythentic rope and it pulled a Rincon and a Bombadier hooked together and stuck in mud over the tires, at the same time. It works great. (spider line guides easy with no concerns about frayed wires stabbing you) I got really stuck in some mud and using four quads as an anchor it dragged them sideways with no effort. With two more quads pulling I finally got out. Gotta make a folding anchor next. Just my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another kudos to the Ramsey with the wireless remote.

I'm in the process of moving stuff into storage, and that includes my snowmobile. Well, as you know, Winter is over, so there's no more snowmobiling until November. My sled has been Summerized and therefore cannot be started, unless I wanted to do the Summerization step all over (uh, no).

I have a set of rollers for it that the skis and track sit on so it can be wheeled around as needed. I needed to load it into my enclosed trailer to take to storage, but there was no way even two people could push it up the ramp. It'd take at least three, and I'm here by myself.

So what I did was open the front ramp door on the sled trailer, and drove my Rincon up so that the nose was about 18" inside the trailer. I left it running, set the parking brake and put it in neutral.

Next, I ran the winch line down and using a tree saver strap, attached it to the front bumper on my snowmobile. I then used the wireless remote to run the winch while I guided the sled up into the trailer. It worked almost flawlessly; the only problem being having to deal with the gap where the door meets the trailer (had to fill it in with bits of wood).

I couldn't have done it even with a wired remote because I started from much too far away for that to be practical.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts