Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering if anybody owns one and how you like it. I'll be getting the wife one this year. I plan to install 26" 589's w/C-series , a Warn 2500 , and a Tamarak front box (either red or black).

·
Registered
151 Posts
My dad has one... Nice machine... Good ride,but not like the rincon.... I am not sure about the 26" tires.. I think in dep mud you may have trouble turning them... He has the 400 at... It does 52-55... and has good response.. But not the low end grunt..... Seems to like rpms.... We got in some deep snow last weekend and you about had to floor it to get the tires going.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Crimson650,

I ride with all types of ATV's. I have a cousin that has the new Honda Rancher AT (got it for christmas). I have witnessed on several occations a rancher with 26" 589 (old style and heaver) stop in mud up to the headlights and then crawl right out without the "bog down" that people seem to find. Maybe where I ride the mud isn't thick enough?? I usually ride in TN mountains...I also used to run 27" 589 M/S on my 450S with NO problems...the only thing I noticed was loss of top end speed...(no speedo so no idea) but I was getting outrun by my friends on their 350 2x4...

·
Super Moderator
6,527 Posts
Hi Crimson

I bought the wife an 03 rancher 4x4 and she loves it. I kept the heavy hardware off it (She'd never use it anyway), it can pull my car up a steep hill, in the low 1st gear, and honestly there is no effort for the Rancher at all. The tires that come on it (Dirt Hooks) are great, she had to blaze the trails for me in deep snow (Then I was running a stock Rincon w/ those crappy stock tires ) Since then I put 26" Mud Lites on my Rincon and we can do pretty much the same terrain. I did notice though, (Her skill on gears is not really good just yet) but if the Rancher was in 2nd gear on a steep hill, and she didn't keep on the gas, she would bog, stop, shift to 1st then boogie up the hill with no problem. When it bogged in second, it was like a clutch slip (motor revs up a bit but no wheel spin) I would be concerned here, if you must put such big tires on yours.

See ya on the trails

Oilcan

PS.. I was in Lynchburg Tn. not too long ago! I would love to ride in you state in the fall! Must be nice there! Eh! ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
If you have to change tires on one of these, I'd suggest Holeshot ATRs on some C-Series or Maxlite 8-spoke wheels. The ATRs are fairly lightweight for larger tires, but handle well and have good grip, even in snow.

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since I posted this, we've decided to go with Mudlites instead of 589's. I prefer the 589's for the wear factor, but the Mudlites are lighter. Since we will be running a 26" tire, it needs to be lite.

Do yall think Honda will offer the "Nothing down, no payments or interest for 6 months, like they have the last couple of years?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
More than likely it will be. Just have to give 'em a little time... but beware what the interest rate becomes after the 0/0/0 portion ends. I took the 6.9% for 48 months deal on my Rincon to avoid a huge interest rate... but I was lucky enough to have 0/0/0 for 3 mos too.

Rob

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought the wife the Honda Rancher AT and she loves it. I have taken it for the occasional ride and It is a pretty nice machine power wise and it handles very well when going through the bush around corners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We just bought an '05 Rancher AT (for my wife) and she loves it! We put the new C-series type 5 along with 25" 589s and a Warn 2.5 winch package. I have to say that I have been impressed with it's overall performance. It (so far) has not had any of the reported problems that I had read about the '04s having. Power-wise it is as strong as any 400cc quad but is not as fast, which is a good thing. It has taken on everything that she has thrown at it, and my wife can ride with the best of them!
Rancher AT: A+

One last note: I took the factory wheels and tires and put them on her old Recon, man what a difference! Before, on long rides, it would wear you out with the rough ride due to limited suspension travel and small tires. Now, it soaks up the bumps like a larger quad and I noticed no power loss. It handles about the same in corners and seems to have less tendency to get "tipsy". I know that numerically, there is only a 2" difference in the tire height but as far as ground clearance, it looks and feels like more. If anyone has a Recon, I highly recomend adding the Rancher factory wheels/tires. It improves the ride tremendously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts