Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2"Exhaust tip and a K&N Filter along with a DJ jet kit I am wanting to install all these things over the next week. I am just curious what jet everyone else is running with these mods. I was thinking about the 148 but don't know if it will be to rich or not. I am also about 1000 feet

·
Registered
371 Posts
Im at about the exact same elevation as you are. I "don't" have the 2" exhaust tip which if anything should make your's run a little leaner than mine, which is good. After trying the dyno #144 main (which the instructions call for) and than the dyno #146 main and getting good low end but "bad" top end results with both, I ended up putting the STOCK main jet back in and useing the rest of the dyno jet kit per their instructions. Yoe will hear all kinds of settings but for me this combo seemed to give me the best blend of performance through out the power range. Being that the main jet is the most time consuming part of the install, I would install the dyno jet spring and needle on the 2nd groove along with the exhaust tip and K&N and see if your happy with the results. I think you will be. I also ended up with 2 1/2 turns out on the F/A mixture screw. You didn't mention an outerwear with the K&N but I would use one if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 2 inch exhaust tip and have not rejetted, I also have a [email protected] with an outerwear, the bike seems to run fine and is strong throughout, i checked the plug color a few times and it is a tannish brown, i really dont feel there is a need to rejet, because, 1 most likely the bike is jetted fat from the factory, and 2 i dont feel like taking things apart several times to get it right, i had a prairie 650 that i rejetted and it seemed as if i was messing with the jetting more than riding the bike, if it doesnt overheat then it is running fine, ive had mine up to 62 on pavement with mudlights, it wheelies with ease, i weigh 285 lbs so what more could changing a jet do

·
Registered
807 Posts
just give the ole red light time. LOL It will surely come on. You will need to re-jet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will try the 146 jet. I was thinking about trying the 148 jet but I think it will be to rich. I don't really care if I lost 10 MPH on the top end all I want is the low end power. The places I ride you can't go over 20 to 30 MPH anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, still no rejetting here, i could let the bike sit in my garage running for 30 minutes go out and rev the crap out of it, without moving it, get it hot, really hot, but the light will not come on, fan does but not the dreaded light, depending on where you live, you may not have to rejet, i live in the appalations and the elevation varies from around 700 to 3000, ive had the bike out for long slow rides on hot days and it has never overheated, i would be very hesitant on jetting after seeing all the problems that arise after doing the mod, also its not worth the money you pay, there is very little performance gain, also what matters the most isnt the kandn or the exhaust tip, its the air intake, the bike only gets as much air as the intake lets in, modifying the intake would be the single biggest reason to rejet

·
Registered
807 Posts
OK everyone, let's pay attention. You can't follow what "everyone" uses. Jetting will depend on many variables. It's all about misture guys. Rich= not max power, but cooler. Lean= more power but risky running too hot and can cause damage to the engone. What you add or change on your engine will make a difference and the alititude (thinner air) & temperature you ride will make a difference. You need to jet according to your indivigual situation. Also, with all the wondering about the mix & the temp..........get a gauge. Both. Engine Temp and fuel/air. No more wondering. In aircraft we use a EGT gauge, which registers the Exhaust Gas Temp, in conjuction with a Mixture control. This allows for adjustment of the mixture but with close monitoring. Critical for max engine performance at different altitudes & valuable to keep from blowing a hole in a cylinder. (Not good up there!)
Ok, end of lesson. Now decide what you need for your specific use. Err on the side of too rich. (or to put it another way, if your not sure leave it alone) Have a good one all & ride safe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CoalCracker,
I have to disagree with what you said about jetting not helping at all. I have owned many four wheels and sportbikes and jetting either one of these is a big improvement of course if you don't add the things that go along with the jet kit it might be useless (Air filter, exhaust) A good air filter will alter your air intake in which will require more full to prevent a lean mixture. I also will agree that it is sometime hard to get the correct jetting down, but with a little patiences and time it will make a huge differnece in the Rincons performance I have seen it to many times.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well said 04RinMan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts