Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2005 Rincon. I live at 4300 elevation and will use it in the Kaibab mountains at 6000 to 9000 feet elevation. I will also use it in the desert of Tucson which is 1500 feet elevation. I can't seem to get a straight answer on jetting? Any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
800 Posts
that is sure a big change in elevation,and having efi would sure help out there.i think efi will replace carbs more and more as time goes by. not sure when honda will try efi on a atv but others all ready have it. i would think you would have to rejet depending on were you wanted to go. not sure if this helps but just 1 guys view

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I have no experience with them, but maybe you should look into a dial-a-jet system.

My .02 if you jet it for your home altitude and live with it being a little rich at the higher elevations, and maybe when you ride up high take the lid off of the air box to lean it out.
I would be afraid to jet it for high altitude then when you go low it would be way too lean and burn up the motor.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I'm no expert but I have recently re-jetted my carb and according to the Dynojet instructions you will need to re-jet/adjust depending on where you are riding. Apparently, a couple thousand feet makes a heck of a difference. The good news is that rejetting was a lot easier then I though it would be.

I was in Page, AZ a few years back, it is beautiful place. Lake Powell is awesome. Do you have a jet ski or a boat too?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll get a service manual and study the re jetting procedure. I have a friend that has gone down one size from the factory setting and seems to be happy except for a slight loss of performance at the lower elevations.

Yes, I couldn't live here without a boat. It is a beautiful place and Lake Powell is awesome!

I will look into the "dial a jet".

Thanks again

·
Registered
143 Posts
I took my Rincon to Utah from Georgia earlier this year. I use the Dynojet 144 jet for my riding in Georgia. When I called the Honda dealer in Utah, they said to re-jet to the 136 jet. I ultimately put a 140 jet in and it ran good. The altitude I was riding was from about 6000 ft to over 11,000 ft. The only problem that I experienced was that when I got to the high country, it would stall more frequently when I let off the gas rapidly. I should have adjusted the idle mixture screw but I didn't want to change it when I re-jetted. It was my fault. Once I got back down to 6000 ft. there was no problem.

John

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Im a big fan of jetting, I find myself rejetting just for the sake of rejetting...Im down to about 4 minutes to change notches on the needle, and about 10 minutes to rejet (I cary a spare box of stainless M4 cap screws so if I drop a screw I dont bother looking for it any more) ... so while your unloading your quad from the truck, I have already rejetted...my point... dont bother trying to hit the one size fits all jetting combination... just rejet...

I also have a tiny tach that I use for setting the A/F, but Im getting farking awsome at doing it by ear...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
four minutes to re jet! I need to get learn this but haven't had time to check out the service manual and study. Is it really that easy?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
thats 4 minutes to take the four screws out of the top of the carb, remove the slide, remove the needle, move the e-clip up or down, reasemble the slide insert in the carb and screw the top back on....

thats 10 minutes to remove the 8mm bolt that holds the throttle stop, remove the snorkle, pull the vent line out of the airbox, remove the 2 10mm bolts from the back of the airbox, loosen the clamps on intake and exhaust sides of the carb, twist carb 90 degrees, remove 4 screws from float bowl, unscrew main or pilot or both, insert new jetting, attach float bowl with 4 screws, twist carb back 90 degrees attach airbox, insert 2 10 mm bolts in back of airbox, insert vent line into airbox, put lid on airbox, tighten clamps on intake and exhaust side of carb reinstall throttle stop with 8 mm bolt, reninstall snorkle.

and if I so desire or have accidentaly moved the throttle stop, it takes me another 3 minutes to,
set the throttle stop to the lowest possible idle (engine good and warm) and reach in under the carn, turn the A/F OUT until I hear the idle go up a few RPM, and then from that point, I count the turns as I turn the A/F IN till I hear the idle increase again ( it will go down from the starting position and back up again) what ever the the number of turns was I back up half of that...

my machine idles at a nice 1250 RPM and never ever stalls, and sounds like a harley with the nice slow idle

I have permanently removed the 3 body clips, the one on the snorkle, and the 2 on the body plastic around the tank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
10 min....WOW, I thought I was getting good at 45 min! I still have all the plastic push pins in though. They are the biggest problem you have to deal with...once you remove the stock phillips head screws. I swear, they are so soft, I think they are made of solder!! LOL Whenever I rejet, I think about jetting my CR-500...It has a plug in the bottom of the bowl and full access to the carb. REAL EASY!!! Just getting to A/F on these beasts is a PITA.

I am running the DJ 148 2nd notch w/K&N. So far so good up to 3k'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mudchucker, I live in calgary and ride west of town in the foot hills, elevation 4500-5500ft, from your extensive jetting experience, what would you recomend for a main jet. I would prefer to use kehin jets. I currently have the stock #152 and the dinojet spring and needle. clip in second position all spacers in place. Also run k&n filter and 2" exhaust tip. The quad runs great, but just wondering if there is any more performance to be had by rejetting without doing a lot of trial and error.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
woot,,, Im extensive at somthing !!

On a more serious note.. MtnQuad, Im realy not a jetting guru but here is what I have found...so far the best combination is a Keihin #54 Pilot jet and a Keihin #158 Main jet. Im at about 700 feet here in Winnipeg, so I have some seriously dense air to breath...and this gives me alot more flexibility in how crzy I can go....with these jets, I burn a boatload of fuel, so I have backed out to the stock pilot (thinking to move up one to the #54) and I think I have the #154 main in there now... this is also a good combination... and I dont seem to burn such a gross amount of fuel.

to tell you what I think would be best, my gut says that a Keihin #152 or #156 and the stock pilot are your best bet.. and stick the clip on atleast the 3rd notch...

I should also mention that all my experience with jetting has been over the last 2 months...and the trial and error for me, is what I call "tinkering" and Im a tinkeraholic...

in addition to the above, my jetting experience has also all been done with that an HMF utility on the machine Im not too sure how much of a blow your stock pipes give you relative to the amount of fuel your stuffing into it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Mudchucker, I'll probably try going up one size #155 on the main and maybe raise the needle one groove, #3. Once I get it dialed for this elevation I will let you Know, in case you ever want to come west and ride the Mountains. Also, with the mods I have made and the performance gains achieved, how much more of a difference would adding the HMF pipe make.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just figuring out the sites features, heres a picture. If im doing this right?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
MtnQuad, the HMF made a huge increase in performance...HUGE! my machine is whent from cool, to farking awsome after installing the HMF... its a little loud, not obscene but you definatley let people know your comming...

Im trying to figure out an efective way to video the rincon so that people can get an idea for the sound level.. possibly set up the video camera on a tripod, ride away from it a 1/4 mile and then ride back.. hmmm not a bad idea...

definately 3 notch or more... if I didnt have so much snow I would go and hit the last notch down, but everywhere I go I would just spin out right now, so I think im done with jetting experiments for the winter, and Ill get back to it in the spring...

anywhoooo gotta 24 pack in the fridge thats calling my name pretty loudly...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would love to see a video to hear that exhaust. Are you planning to do it soon?
Roger

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you don't get to it don't stress. I have my 05 Rincon sitting at the dealership still. I am going to convince my kids that Santa brought it for the family. I can assure you I will have videos posted that weekend. I'm going to line it up against a 2004 Polaris V-Twin 600, 1998 Honda Foreman 400 and finally a TRX 450R just for laughs. My driveway is 650 feet long, strait and concrete so I have my own little drag strip.
Roger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts