Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had to adjust the rear brake cable recently? The left (rear) hand brake doesn't retract to it's open position and it's annoying that the brake light stays on unless i manually retract the hand brake. How would I adjust the cable? Didn't find anything in the service manual.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the same problem so I adjusted the nut on the end of the cable, loacated near the rear brake. Doesn't take much, but I agrere, it is a pain and should have a small spring to keep it retracted so the light doesn't stay on. I will work on the spring thing and see if I can come up with an idea.

John

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fot the reply Ridge. So do you think that loosening of the cable was caused by the brakes getting worned out or could it be something else?

Jose

·
Registered
143 Posts
By virtue of working the cable, it stretches. It gets less the more it it used. In addition to that, the brakes wear and that contributes to the play in the cable. Periodic adjustments are required, but it would be nice to have a small sprint to hold it so the brakes don't stay on. I have found that the vibrations from riding pretty much keep the brake handle extended and the light off.

John

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Yea mines doing the same thing. Thanks for the info,i'll take care of that this weekend..........Bigjohn

·
Registered
95 Posts
You might want to try some cable lube as well. You can buy an aerosol can and the tool to apply it for $15-$20 at your local cycle shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts