Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through the manual a couple of times trying to find the red line rpm and rev limiter rpm and have not had any luck. Does anyone factually know these numbers? I may be chasing a ghost and causing myself to lose sleep over this high speed miss. This evening I hooked up my tiny tach and ran the engine up sitting in the garage several times. It begins the steady missing at around 6300-6500 rpm range. Tried it with and without the air box lid and get somewhere in the neighborhood of the same readings. Maybe this is the rev limiter I am feeling. Some have claimed to hit the limiter at 65 mpg but mine won't run that fast. I thought it was the plug or plug wire but I seem to have fixed the missing at lower rpm by repairing the plug wire. Thought it might be the plug but get the same results with a new plug. It still seems to be running rich at lower rpms and leaning out on top. I am going to raise the needle from 4th with no washers to 4th and 2 washers tomorrow and see if the bottom end will clear up some. It may be that the 158 is still lean on top. I have a 160 or 165 I guess I can try. That should answer the question if it is to lean on top and then work backwards. Makes a fellow want to start drinking sasparilla, huh?

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, rev limiters don't go by speed, they go by RPM. I wouldn't want to raise the Rinny's limiter because after about 4k the power drops like a bad habit.. it would gain nothingn to get more RPMs out of it.

As for your jetting, yo udidn't mention where your a/f screw is set.. for some reason everyone was putting it over 3 turns.. way too rich. will cause the stalling problems. Try 2, 2 1/4. 158 is also pretty fat for a main jet. And #4 is pretty rich for the mid.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not trying to raise the rpm limit. It is cutting out at high rpm and I wantt to know at what rpm the rev limiter activates. If I am hitting the rev liviter, then great. If not, I want to know why it is missing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Duramax;

That sure sounds like a rev limiter. They commonly work by eliminating every other, or every third spark, thereby making it miss. One way to find out would be to install the reverse limiter eliminator that is sold on ebay. The guy who makes them claims that when the switch to his gadget is turned on, it not only allows you to run wide open in reverse, but the rev limiter is also bypassed for forward also. It looked fairly easy to install, and you kill two birds with one stone.

Being able to go unlimited in reverse may seem like a bad idea, until you get into a situation like I was in last winter. Could not turn around on the little goat trail, and could not back up the muddy hill due to the stinking limiter. After a few tries, the plug fouled and I could not get the Rincon started. Had to use the winch to do a very scary 180 degree turn around on the steep, skinny, muddy trail. Reverse limiters should be gathered together, wadded up into a large ball, and then inserted at high speed into the lawyer's butts who came up with the stupid things.

I guess without those limiters some kids would be practicing backwards wheelies and then sue Honda when they broke their necks.

Solution; Lawyer hunting seasons. You could use an ambulance siren to call them in.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I asked two Honda service reps about the rev limiter, and both repeated the same
line, but would not give me a factual answer. The line is "the rev limiter kicks in at between 5500 and 7500 rpm, depending on which quad you are talking about".
With a tach on my Rancher, it hit 6700-6800 rpm at start of limiting, so 6300-6500 would not sound too unreasonable for a rinny, assuming that a larger
displacement engine is limited more than a smaller one. Remember these are pushrod engines, and over reving them will totally destroy them. Honda is being conservative with the rev limits.

BTW, I have never hit the limiter in 3rd, so there must be more than just rpm limiting top speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts