Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any updated info a way to bypass the computer controlled Rev & Speed limiters on the rinny. Simply by installing the dynojet I gained 5 mph before having to change gears between 2nd & 3rd......this bike has a lot more potential and there has got to be a way to fix this #%^*......Just my thoughts>>?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys, I know your read'n this and I know I'm not the only one in this world that has this question................Gimme some feedback.........?!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
RINCON1 - don't feel bad i have asked this question before and no one every told me how to bypass the speed limiter :(

I know what you are saying...this bike could fly with this type of mod....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sclark,

The main reason I made this thread is because of a friend who told me of a curren post he read on another site. It was a canadian post and It stated that the bikes in canada don't have the federal speed and rev limiters that we have here in the states. He told me one of the posts said the bikes were capable of 90+ mph (not kmh) It makes me wonder if its as simple as changing the bike's computer module.....................?

·
Registered
118 Posts
that could be by changing the computer module HOWEVER if a person could find out what is diff in them maybe we could modfity the ones we have now..

can you find out what forum your friend was reading??

thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
Capable and what actually is reality are two different things. All the Canadians I have seen post here about top speed, usually say they are getting about the same as us here in the States. Mine stock was about 65mph. I doubt the speed limiter is the only item necessary to increase top end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've said it on one forum and I'll say it here. Removing the rev limiter is NOT a good idea. It's there for a reason. That is the highest RPM Honda feels is safe for the engine to remain durable in the long run. And it only takes once to destroy an engine. I recently helped a friend modify a small block ford with an MSD ignition system. Instead of waiting for the rev limiter chip to arrive he had ordered, he figured he would just be careful and take it for one drive. Well, long story short, 15 minutes later he was sitting at a light, went to race someone, went 2500 RPM's beyond what he should have, and now the rebuild process starts all over again (rod through oil pan, shattered crank, damaged valve assembly). My Rincon just barely taps off of the rev limiter in 3rd gear on a cool morning drive, and it's around 67MPH. Short of changing the gearing (which wouldn't be good because you'd never spin your tires in 1st) you're SOL.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Raising the rev limiter on the Rincon about 500-1000 Rpms isn't going to hurt a thing. They can run at 6000 rpms for MILES with no ill effects. So I don't think another 500-1000 rpms is going to hurt. These engines are built to rev.

The best way to increase the top speed without having to change rev limiters is to raise either the differential gear ratios or the 3rd gear ratio in the transmission. But, it's going to take some good modifications to run that 3rd gear past, lets say 70mph. Because the wind drag and high gear are really going to hold you back. But I think with a gear change, aftermarket pipe, airfilter and jet kit, and a timing advancement would easily take you past 70mph if you have the right gear ratio put in the tranny. *shrugs*

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sound's like a lot more work than most will do, but i'm checking to see if my bud can find that site . I'll let you know what he finds. In the meantime, I know ahonda tech @ the local dealer and I'm gonna make a visit to see if he can give me a little more insight on the amercan and canadian ecu's. Doesn't hurt to ask...................

·
Super Moderator
6,676 Posts
Yo Jo Kanuck here

That is a pile of bull about our rincons having top speeds of 90 MPH. Pure bunk.
If you guys want to go 90, buy a frikin jeep.

Oilcan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a few forums about on Canadian riders that seem a little more "Down to earth" to me too. They said that the bikes they ride are 70 to 75 mph machines which still tells me that it is not far fetched. Haven't got ahold of Bob @ the dealer yet, guess he needed a day off and it had to be today.....I'll try again tomorrow and let ya know what I find out.

It also looks as though there are a couple of company's trying to come-up with different ignition modules, one possibly by the end of March, but of course there still aren't any specs to be had.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to update everybody on the factory ecu's, the dealer cannotget any information on canadian parts so we still don't know if they are any different. I asked about the computers and the exhaust, the only thing we found was a different part # on the computers for the 03 and 04 models---what the differnce is , who knows.................

·
Registered
118 Posts
hummmm ok thanks for the info.....i would say the differnce in the 03 and 04 is cuase the 04 has gps and the 03 don't :)...that is what i would guess

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I would not push the stock rev limiter up more than 500 RPM. Remember that the Rinny motor is a pushrod design, not OHC. Pushrod motors are not really made for higher RPMs. You may want to consider stiffer valvesprings too, for safety's sake. That's one of the main reasons rev limiters exist. If you get things spinning too fast, the springs can't keep up and you get valve float. Then the valves tend to collide with the pistons. That's when the bad stuff starts to happen.

You guys getting 60+ mph out of your Rincons and talk of hitting the rev limiter in 3rd make me jealous. My POS to this day still won't go over 52 mph and the dealer insists it's perectly fine, and in fact Honda does too.

Once I have some money, I'm gonna put a Webcam camshaft in it and maybe a CDI box of some sort.

Rob

·
Registered
409 Posts
RobG- I know you have had problems on and off trying to get it to run correctly. And the dealer has supposedly check out everything. For awhile, there was talk of excessive cam wear in some cases. Maybe it is time to do a little checking of your own and get a dial indicator. Set it up and check the lift on each valve just to give yourself piece of mind that the lobes are not flat. It is also possible that you are not getting the lift because of bad pushrods and yet not have flat lobes. Just shooting in the dark. I would also pull the plug and check set the piston at top dead center on the dial indicator and then pull the side plug and see if the timing mark is in the correct place. Still seems like something is just not right. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RobG,

Not trying to be funny, but 52mph just seems so far off because even with the mud-lites I can still reach 57 on flat ground (with dynojet). I just have to agree with Duramax, there's smoething still not right no matter what the dealer says!!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way, anybody with a canadian bike that can possibly get me a part# from their ecu on the bike or a dealer? Still trying to do a little reseach via parts department info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine will pull between 56-57 mph with 27 inch mudlites on. It would do between 65-66 with the stock tires. This is the same machine that has been to the dealer 7 times with an overheating problem and has also had the cam replaced at about 130 miles for excessive wear. I would have them check the cam. If the cam is bad though it will get slower and slower the more you ride it as the cam lobes wear off. With 130 miles on mine it would top off at between 44-48 mph with a bad cam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts