Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are going from little rock ar. to the area between lake city and ouray co. most of our riding will be above 8000ft. some over 12,000ft. here in little rock we are at 374ft. i really don't want to change the jets on the carbs but do you guys think that i will have any problems at those elevations? i realize that it will not have the power that it does here but what other "easy" adjustments could i make? i was thinking of taking a few extra spark plugs in case they get fouled out. we are going with 12 other friends and only one has had to change the jets in thiers.

thank you in advance for your input

britt

·
Registered
338 Posts
we go to taylor park co (elevation 9.000 ft) in august for the last 3 years,drop your main jet to a 142.5,it will run o.k.,not great but ok and you wont foul plugs,as you get up in elevation(above 12,000 ft)take the air box lid off and that will help there some..it took us 3 out of 5 days to get my rincon to run on par with everyone else's rides last year..if i had a 140 main jet we were going to try that next just to test..

basically what we have learned is if you live on the east coast drop your main jet 10-12 numbers from stock and you will run ok at these altitudes),this goes for all brands we have had out there(i hate to admit it but polaris's are lest affected by the altitude changes,ie..they still run good top speed still.where all my hondas have lost about 10 mph on top out there) ..many hrs of rejetting on the trails is how we ended up with this info..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took my Rincon out to Colorado last year( I live in Ohio) even had the Honda dealer in Denver "work" on it. Told them I would be riding from 8-12 thousand ft. All he did was turn the pilot screw 1/4 turn. I paid 90 bucks for nothing!! When we got up around 11,000 feet it would barely go up inclines!!! Listen to some of the guys on this site, cause the manual only says to adjust pilot screw for up to 8000 ft. I know nothing about jetting but you will be dissapointed in the Rincon's performance if you don't rejet it. This year I'm gonna just rent a rubicon(already jetted for high altitude) while I'm out there.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
T-7, I take it that you're going to do the Engineer Pass-Lake City-Cinnamon Pass Loop. I'm going there on the 16th. From what you've heard, do they let you ride your ATV thru town and on the paved highway?

Incidentally, check Duramax's post about his recent rides in Utah at 10000 ft. He used a lot "fatter" jetting than I thought possible.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Once you get out there, if you find the machine isn't running well, remove your airbox lid. It'll get noisy and obnoxious, but it'll run better.

I ride between 6000-10000 ft. most of the time so I'm jetted for it. It definitely lacks power at 10k, but mine's never been powerful to begin with.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barkle Thull just PMed you.

thanks everyone for all of your input. you have been a great help as always!

britt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts