Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello y’all, I’m stuck with this transmission issue on my 2012 Honda rincon 680.
The bike since I got it would grind pulling from Neutral to reverse, then it wouldn’t even go into reverse unless I slammed it from drive into reverse straight across OR I put into reverse while it was off and started it while in reverse by holding front break and starting...

This weekend out in the trail I pulled into reverse to take a picture, then drive & shut off. When I went to start it I put in first it grinded bad then reverse then first was almost impossible to put in first I finally got into first by forcing it heard some gear noise then nothing, and now drive & reverse do not do a thing. Had to tow out of the trail.

Oil level is good, and the grinding issue was going on for awhile, but as far as shifting threw the gears manually or auto it worked fine, it was fine besides that grinding with the hand shifter... also checked linkage and that’s all fine.

I’ve heard that it may be final shifter gear? If so is this a job where the case in the middle has to be cracked open? Or is this on side case. Thanks any info is helpful!
Riggy Rincon

·
Super Moderator
6,848 Posts
With all that slamming from forward to reverse, yes I would say there is a good possibility the shifter gear and associated parts are damaged. You would need a manual for this job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like your final shifter gear and the two guides. They are at the rear of the engine. Just need to pull the rear cover off to replace (granted, rear suspension needs loosened and removed to get the cover off). Cost is low, man hours is about 4. I have done on both of my Rincons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello y’all, I’m stuck with this transmission issue on my 2012 Honda rincon 680.
The bike since I got it would grind pulling from Neutral to reverse, then it wouldn’t even go into reverse unless I slammed it from drive into reverse straight across OR I put into reverse while it was off and started it while in reverse by holding front break and starting...

This weekend out in the trail I pulled into reverse to take a picture, then drive & shut off. When I went to start it I put in first it grinded bad then reverse then first was almost impossible to put in first I finally got into first by forcing it heard some gear noise then nothing, and now drive & reverse do not do a thing. Had to tow out of the trail.

Oil level is good, and the grinding issue was going on for awhile, but as far as shifting threw the gears manually or auto it worked fine, it was fine besides that grinding with the hand shifter... also checked linkage and that’s all fine.

I’ve heard that it may be final shifter gear? If so is this a job where the case in the middle has to be cracked open? Or is this on side case. Thanks any info is helpful!
Riggy Rincon
I have the same problem. A alternative to slamming it in gear is.
1. Shut off motor.
2. Put it in reverse. Sometimes I have to rock the machine a little to make sure it's in gear.
3. Grab and hold the right front break.
4. Turn the key on and start the machine.
This is a safety bypass to allow the machine to be started in gear. If you find out more about this problem I would appreciate a message explaining what you did to fix it

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem. A alternative to slamming it in gear is.
1. Shut off motor.
2. Put it in reverse. Sometimes I have to rock the machine a little to make sure it's in gear.
3. Grab and hold the right front break.
4. Turn the key on and start the machine.
This is a safety bypass to allow the machine to be started in gear. If you find out more about this problem I would appreciate a message explaining what you did to fix it
Yes Change out shifter gear with update version and reverse gears next to it around. I’ve also done 2 machines but shift nice now. Big project but doable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes Change out shifter gear with update version and reverse gears next to it around. I’ve also done 2 machines but shift nice now. Big project but doable View attachment 21234
Ya that looks big. Did you really have to take the back end off? I'm not a mechanic but I stripped it down last year to change a engine position sensor and that was a big job.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ya that looks big. Did you really have to take the back end off? I'm not a mechanic but I stripped it down last year to change a engine position sensor and that was a big job.
Rear cover has to come off. Either pull the engine or drop the rear subframe. I hang mine and do it while standing comfortably. 4 hrs solo. A buddy and I have done it in as little as 2hr

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts