Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, been browsing/reading for a while, joined, need some help. Have a '08 Rincon 680 EFI and it will not start, no spark and no joy.

Issue started when it was -10F here, trying to start it to plow. Got one sputter and then nothing. Got it moved into a garage and warmed up to ~50F and still no start. Turned it off, let it sit, came back and now will not start again, no spark, nothing. It's dead.

Started with a new Interstate 300 CCA battery, checked spark plug and worked down the chain testing, boot, wire, coil, no spark. Went ahead and put in new spark plug ngk iridium, boot, wire and coil - still no spark.

Tested the Crank Position Sensor and while cranking was getting alternating signals, tested the bank angle sensor/roll over switch in hand, seemed stuck but after rotating in hand a few times it was giving alternating signals. Fresh premium fuel in tank, hearing pump run at key switch, not smelling gas so ECM knows there's no spark. Not the kill switch either as it is cranking fine. Cleaned the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) though when it runs it runs very well and idles correctly.

At a loss at what to check next. Reading a lot about the crank sensor/stator combo being bad but crank sensor seems to test okay. Don't want to keep dropping money on parts without knowing what the heck is wrong. Darn near ready to take it somewhere :eek:. Any ideas on what to try next, would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
One of the test in the service manual for not getting any spark talks about disconnecting the gray wire for the powertrain control module ( 33p ). Did you clean and test that wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not certain, had some help testing things and we tested a lot. lol. Will look that up in the service book and verify. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Joe, checked those connector ports B23 and B12 on the 33P plug. Got readings on mine of .169v with key on, .605v cranking. I have access to another Rincon, same year as mine, about same mileage, and with same style new battery. That one runs fine and shows .098v with key on and .375v cranking. Mine is reporting basically double the other one.

Found notes from the a few weeks ago, the CKP sensor then Ohm .236 K Ohm "standing" and 1.267 K Ohm when cranking.

Does any of this mean anything to you (or others)? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
When it comes to wiring especially an intermittent problem it could become quite aggravating. There's a lot of sections in the manual that can cause the symptoms you're talking about. I would illuminate them one at a time starting with ground wires especially the one is bolted to your frame. Go away Marine store and buy a can of corrosion X ,or corrosion block. Both will dissolve corrosion and protect wires down the road. Also check the connections in your main fuse ,clean and spray. If anything these are things that need to be done periodically.you will invest very little time and money. Then just follow the book One sensor or connection at a time.if anything this is all preventive maintenance that needs to be done anyways. Fuses ,kill switch ,ignition switch,grounds,connections, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, been over this thing inside and out already, nothing is coming up. Gone through all the sensors in the service book related to this and all check out best I can tell. Driving me nuts. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. If I can't get it going this week I'll have to take it in, need to get it running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
run a wire to the bottom of the ignition coil to the positive on the battery and see if it runs i have the same problem and have not had the time to get into the checking of everything yet but bike runs but limits out at 20 mph

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, been browsing/reading for a while, joined, need some help. Have a '08 Rincon 680 EFI and it will not start, no spark and no joy.

Issue started when it was -10F here, trying to start it to plow. Got one sputter and then nothing. Got it moved into a garage and warmed up to ~50F and still no start. Turned it off, let it sit, came back and now will not start again, no spark, nothing. It's dead.

Started with a new Interstate 300 CCA battery, checked spark plug and worked down the chain testing, boot, wire, coil, no spark. Went ahead and put in new spark plug ngk iridium, boot, wire and coil - still no spark.

Tested the Crank Position Sensor and while cranking was getting alternating signals, tested the bank angle sensor/roll over switch in hand, seemed stuck but after rotating in hand a few times it was giving alternating signals. Fresh premium fuel in tank, hearing pump run at key switch, not smelling gas so ECM knows there's no spark. Not the kill switch either as it is cranking fine. Cleaned the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) though when it runs it runs very well and idles correctly.

At a loss at what to check next. Reading a lot about the crank sensor/stator combo being bad but crank sensor seems to test okay. Don't want to keep dropping money on parts without knowing what the heck is wrong. Darn near ready to take it somewhere :eek:. Any ideas on what to try next, would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks all!
I have this same issue on a 2007 680 what was your problem? I see this issue with no solutions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts