Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say that my "05" Rincon is probably well on the way to being broken in. I've just spent a week in the Michigan "UP" outback. There were 13 of us running up there and we managed to score 300+ miles in 4 days of riding.

The Rincon did ok. But only ok. It does not fare well against the 700 fuel injected, or the 700 carb, (those 2 Polaris 700's really dusted me) or the 650 Bombardier (hauling 2 people)which steadily pulled away also. I know this because we lined them up on an abandonded, (Raco Air Force Base) runway up there. The rincon topped out about 54 miles per, and I was even with the 2 500HO polaris in our group. Close to the rear.

So I was a little disappointed. I really thought the Honda would make a better showing. It feels as if it wants to go, but can't quite get there.

The trail ride is very good. But the stock tires gotta go.

Any Ideas? Or is that all I should expect in the way of performance.

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bob,
Most guys on this site have added the Dynojet kit and the K&N air filter and have had pretty good performance increases. I also just installed the 2" stainless exhaust tip. That added a nicer sound, but not much added performance. Mine will run 58-60 on almost any surface and I have had it to 63 on a long run on blacktop. I don't think you will ever be able to outrun the 700's no matter what you do....it's 50cc bigger. It should be faster. The big one here is the dynojet kit. You may have to play with that a bit to find out what works best for your machine, but that is the one relatively easy thing you can do to make the Rincon faster.
As for tires, if you check out some of the other threads on here you will find a lot of different opinions. I have mudlites which went on before I had 100 miles on mine. The stock tires just can't do mud at all. I have heard that the atr's are very good and I guess it all depends on what type of budget you have and what kind of riding you do. The mudlites cost me around $200 bucks for all four. They are stock size.
Hey I just got back from the Ironwood area of the UP...check out the photo on my profile.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Bob, I agree with Hodag81,
I was riding with a couple of 700, and i felt the same, but then again the top speed wasn't the reason why i like the Rincon.

As for Mods: again hodag81 gave a quick fix to increase lowend power.For Tires, I went with the ITP Mudlites this weekend and i'm very happy all around. photo's also included in profile.

Good luck

·
Registered
371 Posts
I owned an '02 SP700 that was modded with an AAEN performance megaphone muffler, clutch kit, re-jetted and K&N filter. I felt it ran pretty good but the dependability wasn't there so I sold it and bought the rincon. My point is that after I did the mods mentioned on my Rincon and if memory serves me right, my rincon is every bit as quick as the 700 I sold or very close to it. Both my sons own SP500's, one of which is a very, very good running SP500. He walked on my rincon before I did the mods but after the mods and about 400 miles, he is now behind me. I use the dyno-jet kit with the stock #152 main jet, K&N filter W/outerwear and the 2" exhaust tip. Don't expect too much performance wise from the tip, but it sounds good. Try these mods and I bet you will be a lot happier man.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can make your Rincon about 10 MPH faster by putting around 15 pounds of air in you tires if you are racing for top speed on a road. Your speedometer won't show the increase, but get a GPS and it will show ya. I had mine up that way once to show a friend with a griz. Got it to do 62 MPH.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey picky,
Why did you use the stock jet when you installed the DJ kit. If I understand you right you only used the needle and spring correct if so did this set up really help you as much as you say. I am just curious because i have never heard of not using the DJ jets in the kit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's correct. I used the DJ kit per their instructions with the exception of the main jet. This set up was suggested by a Honda Tech that has extensive experience with the DJ kit, or so he says. Before I tried the stock #152 main jet, I had tried the DJ #144, #146 and the #148 and all kinds of needle clip settings etc. None of the mentioned DJ jets gave me the performance throughout the power band that the stock jet gives me on "my" rincon. Im at about 900' to 1000' in elevation and the settings I use are the DJ spring, DJ needle with the clip on the 2nd notch, F/A screw turned out 2 1/8 turns and the stock #152 main jet. I have the K&N w/outerwear and the 2" exhaust tip. It will wheelie with ease and I've had it to 59 mph and climbing (slowly) till I ran out of road. I have never experienced the stalling problem with this combo nor has my temp light ever come on. In fact the fan very seldom comes on. I have never tried a different needle clip setting other than the 2nd "with the stock main", so it's possible that I could get it to run a little better, "mabey". I am very satisfied with this set up and I'm not a person that is easily satisfied. I guess the bottom line is, if your happy with what you've got, leave it alone. But if you just can't seem to get it right, it wouldn't hurt to try this set up. I might add that the DJ #144 gave me a tad more punch out of the hole but acceleration would start to fall off at about 30mph to 40 mph. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob,
If you are judging your Rincon based solely on top speed on asphalt, then you have the wrong bike. There are more traits that beat the crap out of those other bikes. I am not an advocate of driving any bike 50+ mph. Too bad that there are so many people wrapped around the axle on the speed thing. Get a sport bike if you just want to go fast.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts