Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this may seem stupid. But the manual says run the motor for approx. 5 min without touching the throttle, wait 2-3 minutes then check the oil level on the dipstick.

This doesn't seem very precise since temperature will have alot of effect on the viscosity of the oil and how much oil is in the pan when you measure it.

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the reason for this is after it is ran some oil is in the system yet.

because checking it cold, it would seem to be over filled with all oil at the bottom

thats my guess

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
To fill the torgue converter.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I would imagine oil will be in the system for the most part, but running it for a few minutes will warm the oil up so that the proper level is shown. Otherwise it might (as 4wheeldave suggested) show too full, OR, it might show too low. I know on my Grizzly, if I don't warm it up first, it'll show too little oil in the system.

Rob

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can check it cold too, it will be at the top of the flat area on the dipstick. Looks like it is overfilled, but it's not.

Make sure the bike is on a very flat surface when checking. Even a 3 degree
slope can give a faulty level reading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Service Manager at Keene Motorsports told me it was because the Rincon has a dry sump oil system and needs to circulate the oil to get an accurate reading on the stick. *shrug*

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also might have to do with changing the oil. If you change the oil and refill it without letting it run, there is not going to be oil in the filter, and it is going to give you a false reading too high.

They (Honda) probably suggest this to cover all bases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts