Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-
Well i signed up here about five days ago and after reading into why i never recieved my authorization to log on, i saw the thing about AOL users, so i used my gmail account, anyhow, i just picked up my new rincon a week ago tomorrow, i have to say i am pretty impressed with it so far. I have logged 66 miles so far and i can tell a difference from day 1 already, performance wise. It seems a bit more torquey on the low end at least on the last time i was out on it as compared to when i took delivery. I do intend to do the dynojet and i would like to get the mbrp pipe eventually. I think it sounds pretty decent stock, but a bit more sound would be nice if there were indeed a noticeable improvement in performance. Also which plow is the best as far as ease of hook up/removal and construction. I am looking towards Warn, Moose, and Cycle Country manuel lift, i am not going the winch route, plow wise, i think they are too slow (winches and plows) As i am rambling on here, the only concerns i have really are the fact that i need to get the valves adjusted or would have to adjust them so othen. I mean look at a Yamaha R1 or RX1 engine, they reccomend doing this every 25K miles and this engine every 600? I guess i will learn fast how to do this valve adjustment. (the dealer/salesman didnt give me a straight answer on the valve thing, which leads me to thinking honda is being conservative and wants the valve under a service for $ and to be on the safe side...... One other thing is oil, the dealer or salesman reccomended 0w30 this time of year to compensate for the slippage issue in the trans and i plan to drain the oil this weekend, just have to see if there is a nonsynthetic 0w30 out, as i don want to put synthetics in a new machine yet. Well thats enough for now, i can say on the last run i topped out at 60, first time i opened it up. It wasnt even at the rev limiter (as far as i can tell) So if anyone can give there opinion on.

-plows
-oil brands of choice

i would appreciate it. i will be back, this is a nice site.......Kevin

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Check out my post under maintenance about oil change. Do valves at 100 to 200 miles (important)then probably every 1500 miles or so. However, if mine needed adjusting at 200 miles I would check it again per the manual until it quits changing valve clearance, then go to longer interval. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the cycle country plow and have been very pleased with it. Can't say how it stacks up against the others as I haven't tried them, but it takes about two minutes to either hook up or remove the plow - VERY easy !!!

I have used the manual lift and had it connected to my winch. The winch is physically easier, but you are right, it is slower - particularly if you have a shorter driveway and have to raise and lower it a lot. The only draw back with the manual lift is that the handle gets in the way when you drive the ATV onto the plow - but it is no big deal.

As to the valve adjustment;
1. It is really easy to do.
2. Don't ignore it just 'cos other engines go longer between adjustments - they are not comparable. The Rinny uses a VERY old fashioned valves train (O'head valves, rockers, screw & locknut tappets, pushrods) all of which introduce potential for additional freeplay or the worse condition, no valve clearance.
3. Corndog makes a great recommendation to keep checking until they are bedded in and aren't chaging much anymore, then ease up on the schedule.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you will find most if not all of the 600 mile valve adjustments with be checking clearances, and not actually adjusting them. They won't move much after they settle down from break-in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is not hard to do, it is a pain to take off the gas tank, but it is easy to adjust valves, mudchucker can give you the website to download the service manual for free. I bought one, but downloaded it just for the hull of it.;)

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
shite... I dont remember where I stuck the manual... hmm.. hang on a minute whilst I finger out the URL....

drinks beer.....

drinks some more beer....

ok,, found it.
http://rincon.mylinuxguru.com/~files/servicemanual/Rincon%20Service%20Manaul.zip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts