Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I installed the ITP atr's, amsteel rope, and 2" exhaust tip. Let me tell you that the rincon was a different machine. I loved it.

Sunday I went riding with the guys and tried started to climb a very steep +/-100' hill. Everything was going pretty good until a couple of feet from the top, my front end started coming up. I did have bodyweight towards the front. I slightly decrease throttle and started coming down but gave more throttle to try climb. Again, front end came, at this point I knew I was in trouble. Applied brake to hopefully come to a stop. Unfortunately the quad started rolling backwards and picking up speed quick. Braking was nonexistent at this time. I turned the handlebars left and to try make a jump for it. The momentum threw me down the hill. I felt a sharp blow to the helmet. The only thing that was going through my mind is where is the quad. After about two barrel rolls, I saw the rincon wheels up coming right behind me. I somehow managed to roll left and the rincon passed me up and I was able to see my beautiful machine barrel roll maybe about 10-15 times until it landed upright at the bottom of the hill with the engine still running. Got to the bottom and saw that there was a rear flat tire and plastic all torned up.

To make a long story short, after a couple of pictures, got back on the quad and headed back to parking lot.

Luckily I was able to walk away with some minor scrapes. Thank god I was wearing a helmet.

I will post some pictures of the damage.

Sorry for the long story.

RedBomb out of commission.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The machine can be fixed... Glad to hear your OK!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're okay. And, this is great testimony to the value of a good helmet....probably the most part of the whole ATV is the helmet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Been there,done that! Glad to here you are ok.Everyone should always wear a helmet whether or not you have a brain to put in it,as 600 pounds rolling on top of you is no picnic.I rolled and totaled my Rincon in March.I bought mine back from the ins.company and repaired it myself. If you repair it yourself try servicehonda.com located in IL. good prices and buy a service manual.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys recommend that I remove all the accessories (Superwinch, Amsteel rope, tires, and 2" exhaust tip) prior to taking it to the dealer? By the way I contacted state farm yesterday and they want me to take it in already. That's how an insurance should work.

redbomb

·
Registered
613 Posts
Glad to hear you walked away. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the new Mods long.

I had a friend few years ago was crawling down a hill, Less then 1mph and the machine endo-ed on him, because he was a bigger guy; he absorb all the weight of the machine. To this day we can’t walk right nor stand more then 5mins.. He was wearing a helmet but he broke his back, couple of ribs and damaged his spleen- (sp?) and punctured his lung.. Almost no damage to the rincon, just him. He sold the machine… They are lots of fun but also dangerous. I done lots of stupid thing and I’ve come very close at times. But Sometimes it’s not the rider's fault. Shit happens. Hope nobody gets hurt, just be safe and have fun. Good Luck everyone…

Hell Okie, If your machine looks that good after a crash, maybe some owners should do it more often...LOL

I keep on telling myself to get insurance on my machine. I don't really care about damages so much as the idea of someone getting hurt is what scares me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Insurance is the most usless thing you can buy, until you need it. Then it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
371 Posts
redbomb! You'll get good service from State Farm. I wrecked a Sportsman 700 to the tune of $3426.00 in damages. Paid everything and not a peep from them. Some after market accessories were also paid for, plus $5000.00 of the medical bills. Thank God I had other med coverage. Over $28,000.00 in hospital bills.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Totaled my Rinny back in July at Hatfield McCoy. I was in almost the exact same situation. I wasn't so lucky. My helmet was ripped from my head (lucky for a hard head, no damage there). Broke my back in 2 places and also broke a few ribs. Needless to say the rescue squade carried me out. Since I'm still not walking, State Farm sent an adjuster out to my houee after I got out of the hospitle and then sent a guy out with the check after the settlement. I've been with State Farm for 25 years but only had coverage on the Rinny for 2 days (thought I might need it trailering from Alabama to WV). The $5k of medical is coming in handy for all of the co-pays. My med bills are already over $65K and I'm not done yet.. Rubber side down guys!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had State Farm Ins when I totaled my Rincon.Make sure whoever is doing the esimate include the add ons in the esimate.I feel that the shop that did my esitmate, totaled ($5700) my Rincon in hope that they would get to buy it and make a profit.I knew there was not that much damage to it so after the adjuster went to the shop to take pics and get the estimate I went back to the shop to get my bike. They made me pay $100.00 for the esitmate but I got a receipt.I went over that thing with a finetooth comb making a list of what needed to be replaced to get it back to the condition it was in before the crash.It was only 6 months old. I put the stock wheels and tires back on it and had a friend test drive it to make sure the engine and drivetrain and frame were ok.About a week went by with the claim agent playing phone tag with me,so I had plenty of time to check out my Rincon.I knew it would cost me $600 in parts to mt Rincon back to like new condition. I told the claim rep. I would pay 1/3 of the value at time of loss to buy it back.The claim rep said that they usually get 1/2 of value at time of loss,and that indeed my Rincon was totaled and they would pay me $7599 Honda's full retail price.I did some math, gathered my reciepts, and played somemore phone tag.Another week went by so I loaded up the Rinny and went down to the claim office and the agent said she had just tried to call.We went back to her office and she said they would pay my $7599.I told her I would pay $3500 to buy my bike back,she said they usually get 1/2.She said she would pay me $200 for the 1 bent and 2 scratched Maxxis 8 spoke rims,$100 for my Warn bumper,$80 for my Garmin GPS,and $100 for the estimate for a total of $8079.She still insisted on $3800 for the rincon,and I asked her if she would split the differance.If not I would roll the rincon out in their parking lot and take a check for the $8079.She said ok and cut me a check for $4429 and I keep the bike.I paid more to buy it back than I thought I could get it for, but they gave me more than I thought I was going to get,so I came out smellin' like a rose.Especailly when you know that I only paid $5999 OTD for my 2004 Rincon and had $750 in tires,wheels and bumper.If you bike trully is a total loss take the money and run.You should come out ok.

Sorry for the book!

Later Okie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys i'm sorry to hear that some of you were not as lucky. But than again you are here to tell your story. That is most important.

Pic's are in profile.

I reinstalled the stock tires and removed the amsteel rope, and 2" exhaust tip. I left the winch since the switch housing was damaged, maybe they will count it on the estimate. The manager told me that he thinks it will get written as a totaled loss. He did mentioned that if I was going to try the option of buying it back, to go pick it up after the ins. adjuster looked at it. I though that these guys were pretty cool about the situation since I did buy the quad there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you rather see them in yahoo. Link is below.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jpereda/album?.dir=/3fd4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts