Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On of my only complaints, and a general complaint if you do any reading on the Rincon, is the very soft front suspension. Has anyone found any upgrade shock kits for the Rincon that aren't outrageously expensive and make it possible to have a range of adjustments to fine tune the ride? I ride pretty hard and would like to make it possible to stiffen up the front end without loosing that nice smooth ride.

Hodag81

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hodag81- I felt the front end was soft also and wanted to buy some spacers like those that come with the new springs from Highlifter. Since I couldn't find andy without buying the whole kit, I used some automotive coil spring stiffeners on each spring to see if they would help some. I think they helped a lot and for $5 and a little grinding I like the results. They certainly don't look cool but I thought I would run them until they popped out but after 2 months they are still intact. I would still like to find some apacers but am happy with the ride as it is for now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yep. The only ones I had seen until I saw these were the metal ones. These are a hard plastic. The end that actually goes into the spring is to long and needs to be ground down so it will fit inside the spring. I Cut about inch off and then use a gringer to get it to the size I wanted. Not a hard job at all. The hole on it is made for a 1/2" rachet to fit into and you just turn it into the spring. It came with instructions on how to place them but because of limited space, this is about as close as I could get them. For about $5, give them a try. I think you will like the improvement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a set of rubber spring stiffeners that came with my Rincon from the previous owner. He said he used them the couple of times he plowed snow to stiffen up the front end. Kind of hard to explain what they look like, but they're a piece of fairly hard rubber with an opening on one side and they're grooved along the top and bottom for the spring coil to recess into. The simply wrap in between a couple of coils to keep them from compressing and are held in place by the grooves. I imagine he got them from the dealer or the plow manufacturer. I'll snap a picture of them when I get a chance. I've only put 2 miles on my Rincon since buying it, so I'll have to get some saddle time before I can decide if the stiffeners are needed full-time or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure how to add a picture, so you might have to copy and paste to your browser, but here they are.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/pf4fa61cf499c1585e77552dfe23a0a43/f896e4b0.jpg

·
Registered
409 Posts
On another forum someone described some similar to what you have that he used with his plow. He said he got them from a Polaris dealer. The dealers I tried did not know anything about them. He said they were about $15.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys,
This sounds like it might work. Hey Duramax, What auto parts store did you get these at? I think I might have to make some phone calls around here to find something like that. Thanks for the info.
Hodag 81

·
Registered
409 Posts
It was an AutoZone. I just checked my records, thinking I might have kept the part number, but I didn't find it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The ones in Buster's picture are the Polaris Coil Spring Spacers part #2872655. List price is just under $15.99 for the pair. You can buy them at a Polaris dealer or on the web. If you go to the Polaris web site, look under ATV accessories, then Plow. They are on page 4.

My buddy had them on his Sportsman.

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2872655(PolarisPGACatalog)&Department=ATV(PolarisPGACatalog)&Category=ATVAccessories(PolarisPGACatalog)&Listing=ATVPlow(PolarisPGACatalog)&nPage=4&nSet=1

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks TopGun. That is what I originally went looking for. 2 different parts guys could not find a thing on it. Finally told me there was no such thing. How do you install them? Do you have to take the shocks apart to install?
Buster- how about installing them on your Rincon and then post some pics????

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am pretty sure you just push them in between the coils. Probably would help to jack the machine up to lessen the load on the springs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The new 2005 have black shocks unlike the red ones on the 2003 and 2004's. They are quite a bit stiffer than the red 2003-2004 shocks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went to a Polaris dealer this week and bought a set of the spacers. I can't believe how large they are. If you lay them down in a circle, they are 4.25" across. The only way I can see using them is at the bottom of the shock spring. For those that have used or tried them, is that where you placed them? Did you use the whole spacer or did you cut some off the length? Looks like it will wrap around several times the way it is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went and got some at my Polaris dealer. They were $15, and he stocks several pairs. I haven't put'em in yet though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"The new 2005 have black shocks unlike the red ones on the 2003 and 2004's. They are quite a bit stiffer than the red 2003-2004 shocks."

Joe, this is great news. Do you have any specifics on the changes? any other changes for 05?

·
Registered
371 Posts
My '04 has "black" shocks. I bought it in Feb. of 2004. Does that mean it has the improved shocks?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lizard - Are they same size as Topgun described? 4.25"?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Even though they are larger than needed, they flex and will install but will take up more than one wrap around the spring. That is why I was wondering how others have done this mod. That is the only set they sell, the same as in the previous picture.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts