Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much valve noise is usual for a 2003 Rincon with properly adjusted valves? I have 1,250 miles on my Rincon and I have adjusted the valves twice. After each adjustment the power is good and there is very little ticking or tapping noise for about the first 7 to 10 miles of the ride. Beyond this point the valves start to get noisy. By the time the ride is over (I usually ride 70 to 90 miles on a full day ride) it seems the valves are making as much noise as they were before they were adjusted.

Any tips of tricks from those of you that adjust your valves instead of taking the bike to the dealer to have it done? The service manual says the feeler guage should have a slight drag on it when the valves are properly adjusted. Is there a better description of what a slight drag feels like.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There is a thread on valve adjustment I posted a while back. My valves make no noise at all when when adjusted properly.

Slight drag means you need almost no force at all to move the feeler gauge, but you can feel a drag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the way I interpreted "slight drag on the feeler guage" when I adjusted the valves the first time. Then when I started it up, it sounded like the engine was coming apart. So I tightened them again to the point where it is very hard to get the feeler guage in and out.

The valves are still very noisy. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've found when you tighten the nut down w/ a socket it will not stay at the set point, you need to use a wrench and recheck clearances after you've tightened them down. If this is not the case, not sure what else. May not have it at top dead center all the way.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I could find my thread on valve adjustment, all would be explained. You need to bend the .006 and .010 feeler gauges to about 15 degrees to clear the head
or it will give a erroneous "feel" to the drag. And redrincon is right, use a wrench and hold the screw with a screwdriver while tightening the nut.

If you are truly at TDC, both valve rocker arms will be loose. It can be a little tricky to get at TDC. DO not adjust valves unless both rocker arms are loose.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I found it;

http://rincon.atvowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=26&topid=144&thrid=8810#p68223

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Mine is very quiet. I adjusted the valves 2 times, at 100 and 2000 miles. Both times they were in spec. I agree with above, use wrench, and recheck clearances again after tightening. TDC is a must also, the shop manual tells it all. I will usually turn motor over several times and bring the engine back up to TDC before I recheck valves.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
amazingly, 3,000 miles on my '03 rinny. Took it to my dealer Tuesday to get it serviced and the valves didn't need adjusting. There hasn't been any need to adjust them so far after 3,000 miles. Is there something wrong with that or am I just lucky?....lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
No, you are normal.
Most of the time, no adjustment is needed. Most dealer "Valve ajustments" are just checking them anyway. If they aren't tapping, they don't need adjustment.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
If they aren't tapping they could be tight, bad bad bad . You have to check them with a guage. Only factory mechanics do it by ear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my feeler guage from Sears and it is the type that was made with a slightly bent blades for working in tight spaces. I had no problems finding TDC. However the exhaust rocker arms seemed to have more freeplay than the intake side. Does this make a difference?

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
That's expected. Exhaust is like double the clearance of the intake valve. I am at work and do not have access to a manual. I assume you are adjusting the valves when the machine is cold ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
intake .006 exhaust .010" so the exhaust will have a bit more movement.

Well atvrider, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe you just have to keep at it until you get it where the valves don't tick.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Still sounds fishy to me. Valve clearance should not change that quickly. It may be possible that the oil is not reaching the cam or upper cylinder head for some reason and is making her tick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've made some go and no go feeler gages for setting valve clearances, we use them at the powertrain plant I work at, I'll post pics when I get time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my valves adjusted, and was wondering if theres a noticable power gain from it? I have about 700miles on mine and noticed them making noise so I took it in, it'll be the first time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Probably wont notice much difference in power, mine actually seemed a little slower top speed, not sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the service manual and make the adjustments when the engine is cold (hasn't been started in days). The intake clearance is .006 and the exhaust clearance is .013. The engine oil reads just a tick past the full mark on the dipstick (using the method of checking the oil described in the service manual).

I'm still scratching my head on this one. Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone has any other thoughts please post them. I'll consider almost anything.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Mine make some noise that I can hear when my helmet is off. Can't hear them when I have it on. I especially hear it as the motor revs (just before it shifts). When I adjust my valves I do so with a "heavy drag" on the feeler gauge and this is as quiet as they get. Some noise is ok. A lot is prolly not.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You be right. I quoted the clearances off the top of my head w/o looking them up. Better look it up next time, huh?. (sheepish grin)

Makes no sense to me either. Are you sure the locknuts are getting tightened? If not tight they will loosen fairly quickly. OR, maybe you have damaged rocker arms/bushings, valve guides, ect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts