Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me almost 5 hours to install the springs ($99) from Highlifter. I just ordered the Front & Rear Springs and did not know to purchase the $39 Spring Compressor tool they offer. I had to improvise with a homemade device, but I would have rathered order the tool along with the springs. I pushed on the rear end before the install and it was very soggy response (probably from me overloading it all the time). The front was a little better. After the install I got at least 1-1/2" more ground clearance. With the 25" Maxxis Radial Bighorns underpressured (better mud riding) I was sitting at around 10" clearance again. I gave it a quick 30 minute run and put it to the test. The front end does not have near the push in the turns. I don't know why, but it is actualy easier to steer, even in 4x4. I transversed a few slopes that usualy made me nervous about tipping and hot damn it felt a lot more stable. The ride was only slightly more bumpy (not as much as I expected)and completely acceptable. I am hoping with these stiff springs I won't be slamming my frame on so many rocks. I have yet to go up or down any steep hills (none on my property) so I guess I will have to post again later and let you know how it handles after my next outing. I hope everyone post their "Before" and "After" reports on the mods they do so the rest of us can decide if we want to do the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You said,
"I pushed on the rear end before the install and it was very soggy response (probably from me overloading it all the time)."

Here's your problem,

" and a permanently mounted Wife on the rear seat. "

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hey Rinny4life,let me know how the springs work out for you,I want to do the same thing but i'm going to wait and see how they work out for you,I was afraid that the springs will lose their tension after a period of time and be right back to where you started at. If they do , give me a yell.I probably wont install them untill around Christmas. Thanks.......Bigjohn

·
Registered
807 Posts
bigjohn1028....You don't want the Highlifter springs...What you need is the new NASA designed "Forever Spring", just out for the Rincon. Hello.... all springs will fatigue. What do you think.... the stock ones won't get softer? The highlifter springs work great and inprove the ride and handling
.... and unless you weigh 600lbs., they should last every bit as long as the stock ones would, or any others for that matter.
Ya know, some of the decisions for your Rinny's are not that difficult. Stop trying to put TOO much thought into them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Where do we find these Forever springs?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
SXflier,you dont have to be a smart ass about it .I was just concerned about premature fatigue.I dont have an extra 139.00 just laying around like some people. I'm trying to get the most out of my Rinny for the least amount of money.Not only that but I don't recall asking for your opinion.
Grow up and get a life!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bigjohn1028.....Oh, chill out! Everybody doesn't have to be so touchy. With a name like "BigJohn" and you get all whinny like a girl. Cmon, use some common sense....that post was asking for a sarcastic comment. Some questions I see on here my daughter could answer. And futhermore, asking a question on a "open forum", does make the question open for anyone's opinion. I don't know you and there's nothing personal about any of my posts. I always try to be helpful. Just be a man about it, it's only a little humor....Whatever......SxFlyer.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
SXFlyer- You were doing well until you ended with the "whatever."

·
Registered
338 Posts
th h/l springs are only a bandaid fix,they only lasted about 800 miles for me until they too sagged to much for my liking...finally broke down and got the works shocks...1000 miles later and they are still stiff (not sagging)but be careful what you ask for because there is some sacrifice,the nice smooth pillow ride is gone except when you are hauling ass(thats were these shocks really shine...

my rincon is always loaded with extra fuel and boxes on the front and back,chain saw and a cooler and these shocks don't even know its there,awesome if you don't mind losing the ultra soft ride,more sporty with awesome control..

·
Registered
280 Posts
I still don't see any one telling us where to get the Forever springs.
Just a bunch of juveniles arguing.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Thanks Toolman that is the kind of info I was looking for I will probably go with the shocks instead of the HL springs .

·
Registered
338 Posts
bigjohn,there is a big difference in price between the two,springs are around 100.00 for a set were as the shocks are 1000.00 for all 4...you just have to decide how much riding you will do to justify the difference..

woodsruner...not sure who is arguing anymore?trying to turn this discussion back in the direction it needs to be going..informative...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey, ya get what you pay for. No free rides.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HL Springs Follow up Report:

The springs made a world of difference. My wife and I took it on a week long vacation (Bear Creek Trails on Lake Greeson). We both noticed a huge difference. We only heard the skid plate hit once this time when it usualy bounced of rocks dozens of times on a trip like this. I was Transversing slopes I never would have tried with the Stock Springs sice I didn't feel like I was tipping over so easy. We both hardly noticed the slightly stiffer ride after awhile and just got used to it. I was even able to go through a good bit deeper mud. We both are glad we took the chance and bought them. I just hope I don't have to change them out anytime soon because they were kinda a pain in the butt without the correct tool to change them out with. I took our friends 10 year old with me and showed him the wonderfull world of Mudding. We onlg got stuck once (High Centered in Gumbo), but getting out was half the fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rinny4life, I was just wondering what you think of your Bighorns, especially in the mud and on the trails. I am debating between Bighorns and the mudhook xxtremes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love them. They do mud 10 times better than stockers. I rarely need to put it in 4x4 mode. Mostly the riding we do is Hardpack (the tires run very smooth), but I do tend to aim for every mud hole I encounter. They are very self cleaning and have the 1" lugs. The few times we ever got stuck where we had to use the winch we already knew we shouldn't have tried it anyway but wanted to take the risk just for kicks and grins. I do like the fact that they are 6-ply. I put the Highlifter tire sealant in each tire and have run over so many thing I can't believe I have never gotten a flat. I have over 1000 miles on them and they don't appear to have worn down any at all. I have been very impressed with them overall, but I have not tried many other tires. I chose this one because of all the good reports in the forums, and it is very suited for our needs. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also have both the springs a BH Radials. They made a big difference in how stable and predictable the ride and handling are. They both add a little stiffness, but after a few miles you won't even notice. The BH radials do weigh more and don't slide around corners near as well as the stockers because of the improved bite and traction. 1700 miles on both and no problems, flats or regrets. The lugs are still above 5/8 inch. Not the most sporting setup but a very dependable one; I hate problems on the trail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts