Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rincon Admin
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda may be on the verge of producing the largest displacement Side-by-Side in the industry.

While we cannot state for certain that anything is imminent, somebody in the know let it slip to ATV.com that a Pioneer 1100 is on the horizon.

Also, Honda has a patent for a Pioneer with a third seat in the front row. We'd imagine these two things are related.

More: Rumor - Honda Working on Pioneer 1100 on ATV.com

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Yeah I bet.
Check is in the mail.
I will respect you in the morning.
I am on the pill.
I did not fly in from Liberia.
I am a politician and am here to help.

·
Rincon Admin
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe what you will, but we (ATV.com) are expecting the Pioneer 1100. It's no guarantee, of course, but we like the pedigree of the source who provided the scoop.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
The Pioneer looks like a nice unit. It will be alot more versitle with an 1100 in it, if they put a low range in it. With the size of these UTVs coming out, both engine and physical dimensions, along with the price tag, when does it get to the point where you are just better off getting an SUV?

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
The pioneer is a vehicle made to work, similar to the Yamaha and Poo Poo Rangers... I never liked the massiveness of big red or pioneer, they both look lumpy.

Today, I took the Rincon down the hill to get some logs... that thing still amazes me with its torque and pulling power.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is dumb. Anyone that really loves Off-roading will tell you the same thing...the worst part of off-roading is riding passenger. These units are too powerful and to easy to drive...this puts people into the comfort zone of punching it and tearing things up. Big powerful units like this is why most of the states are pushing for a 50" or less width limits on recreational trails. Much like Colorado has already implemented and Arizona is trying to do.

As for work what would you need on a project that a 680, or 500 for that matter, couldn't handle? I mean the new Rubicon 500 has a towing capacity of 1,322 lbs!!! If you are doing more then that you need to use a truck! If for nothing else for the brakes! Plus the Outlander 1000 I think is only rated for 1,300 lbs. My point here is that you don't need that much power. The shocks required for a smooth ride are the towing capacity limiter here not the power! Fact is, they build these things for the people out there that have to have the biggest "unit" around, if you know what I mean.

I spend a great deal of time in the forest working and hunting. Much of the ridiculous and dangerous chit I have seen in the forest is by people with huge bore and extremely loud SxS.

If you want to go fast. Go get a CBR or a CRF. At least that way you are only endangering yourself.

If this huge SxS came with a lifetime supply of cookies; Cookie Monster himself WOULD buy it, then sell the SxS and keep the cookies. Cookie monster ain't no dummy or crazy.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
42 HP sure, but the way the engine puts the power to the wheels is the trick here. You don't always need high HP. In regards to the 680/650 engines, if you use hydraulic pressures correctly, you have more power than you need, and Honda is All over that one!

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
The big bore is a plus when you have four Good ole Boys riding in one of these up a hill. I would not get a SXS myself, thats what the Bronco is for(...and it holds 6), but everyone has their preferences, for their own reasons, good on them. At least Honda and Yamaha are concetrating on the utility, people carrying aspect of the UTV segment and not the turn key dune buggy. I walked around a Pioneer in the showroom and was inpressed with the very apparent quality and detail that is used in building these. Maybe if Honda read some of the posts from these forums, they would be selling product and not going out of business(he says sarcastically).

·
Banned
4,595 Posts
"42 HP sure, but the way the engine puts the power to the wheels is the trick here. You don't always need high HP"

No doubt. An hour ago I was skidding 14" Doug Fir trees (not logs, felled trees) with my 27H.P. Kubota tractor. I doubt the Pioneer 1100 could do that :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^^That's because your running a diesel engine, and as we all know, diesel engines are far superior in terms of torque over a gas engine.^^

42HP is quite conservative for that large of an engine considering there are 1000 cc ATV's on the market well nortH of 80HP. And that is considered quite mild because nearly the same engine in a sled is pumped up to 100+HP and will reliably run for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
im thinking more like 90-110hp with possible new style of transmission of a different case for the rincon automotive style transmission. I sold my rincon to get a SXS (miss that rinny everyday) and mine has 62hp in a 850cc engine. i think Honda is going to have one BAD A** machine. they probaly are not gonna have it strickly for utility but think like a RZR more sport than Utility. We have to remember this is all rumors and while it is possible it will come to our market (I can only Pray) its not stating for sure that they are not changing the frame shocks and what not to make it more sport or stickly utlitly. It may even be a cross over like the new style Teryx or 850i gator both are utlity based with sport additions to make it ride better and handle better on the trails. just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Been following the yamaha/honda spies.... Quote: Yamaha has been testing out in southern cali in the superstition mountains/plaster city huge semi an big ass tent so u cant see wut they are doing it will be runnin the fox shocks as well from lil insite I have heard from someone RnD there setup. Same lil birdy says they been testing one from Honda also on fox shocks, says its 2 speed shift on fly.. birdy thats been doin RnD says Hondas is the ticket better than yamaha's sxs an polaris's rzr 1000... I love my rzr 1000 be hard to sway me, have to wait an see if the hype is all that there makin it out to be.......
I love that "lil birdie sittin in a tree.... build me a honda SXS yes sir eeeeee " :) But better than an XP1K... we'll see. :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
HP is over-rated; torque is everything for a utility SxS or ATV. A big-bore single isn't going to have a 12K redline, it's gotta be able to pull from idle. And that's the point of one big piston versus 4 or 6 small ones, why Harleys are built the way they are and not with a V-6 with the same displacement.

Some of the SxS utes on the market today are as big or bigger than a WWII Jeep, and many will outperform a 4-cylinder CJ-5 or even a stock inline-6 CJ-7. They really are the inexpensive alternative to a highly-built Jeep.

Everyone complains about the Rincon's 3-speed auto transmission, or it's 650/680cc engine. These are the very characteristics that drew me to the Rincon over its competitors... that and Honda's reliability. I've been out and seen the guys on the dual-seat Can-Ams and Polaris 800cc ATVs. Yes, they're faster and quicker than my Rincon... and they're higher and heavier, too. For what I want, moving one rider (me) across forest and desert trails in comfort, at reasonable speeds (< 30 mph), they are not as good as a Rincon. Horses for courses.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts