Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what damage can be caused by running the engine too lean. i installed the dyno-jet kit and thought it was running fine, the plug was a little dark i figured it was fine. keep in mind i'm not a mechanic, i had never seen the inside of a carb before this. i checked the plug after a short ride on friday and it was a little white. i checked the fuel mixture screw and it was only two turns out, i meant for it to be 2and 3\4 truns. i made the adjustment and it ran alot better, i just don't know if major damage may have already happened. i only rode about ten miles or so.

thanks

d

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Rindon, I doubt if you hurt it any as long as you was not "honeing" it out.you had a couple of things going in your favor. 1 its winter time out side and that will help some on the engine temperture . 2 you didnt run it very far.Plus if your electrode on the spark plug shows no damage i would say your good to go,hope i'm right

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure by what you mean "a little white". You will probably get a dark black looking plug from idling and using the choke to start it this time of year. But after it has warmed up and you have run it for awhile, you should get a good reading on the plug. Short of having it on a dyno, you would want to run it at full throttle and shut the ignition off and come to a stop and pull the plug for a reading. In a really lean condition, it will almost blister the porcelin. If you continue to run it lean several things can happen. A hole in the piston and burnt valves are two biggies. Maybe even ruin a head, etc. I doubt if you have done any damage to this point but I would richen it up and keep checking it until it looks a pretty tan. I checked mine this past weekend and it has a good color. I am running the DJ 144 and K&N filter with an outerwear. I am at 700'. Air jet is about 2 3/4 out. I would rather error on the rich side than lean. Don't wait to long......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Keep in mind that the mixture screw ONLY adjusts the idle mixture! If you are running lean under throttle adjusting the mixture screw wont help. You need to find out at what range you are running lean. If your top-end is lean you need a larger jet, if your mid-range is lean you need to raise your needle (lower the clip).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick replies. i am currently running the 148 dj, clip on 2nd notch and the mix screw 2 and 3\4 out. should i put in a new plug to get a better reading?. i plan on going riding saturday. a couple of things i noticed while riding was that the fan ran more than i thought it should ( i thought the coil was full of mud). and i was expecting to use more gas than i did, just one notch off of the display. another thing was that the bike feels alot stronger though the whole range lower and middle (havn't had room to top it out yet) since i made the adjustment. thanks for all the help.

d

·
Registered
47 Posts
If all you did was adjust the mixture screw you will still be lean while you are riding, only your idle will be richer. If I were you, I would atleast go down to the third clip on the needle. You may have to go to a DJ150 to get maximum topspeed, but for now richen up your needle, that will help the most as that is the range that most people run in. Your old plug will be fine, if it was white before it will be able to show color now if your richened it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks fomocofan, thats what i planned on doing but wasn't sure. sure glad they have places like this to ask questions. i plan on going grizzly hunting this weekend, he's been running his mouth a little too much.
d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts