Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rincon 680
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: wasn't hitting hard enough. Got it off!

I just got a used 2012 Rincon and I'm doing all the routine maintenance. As I was doing a test ride, I started hearing a grinding noise anytime it was rolling. I figured it was a brake rubbing. Doesn't roll in neutral, got it lifted up and the front wheels rotate freely but the back wheels are jammed. Pulled the back right wheel off to pull the brakes but because it's seized, I can't get the caliper off. I took the bolts out and tried to muscle it for a bit but didn't get far. I can see the rotor turning when I move the caliper back and forth. What's the secret to removing a seized brake?

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
Left handle bar lever (rear brake) is also a parking brake, sometimes forgotten. Make sure that it is not engaged.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Make sure your foot brake isn’t seized in the down position either. That foot brake lever can start to seize to its shaft after a few years of use. Even if it isn’t seized, now is a good time to take it apart, sand the shaft with sand paper, grease it good and reassemble.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rincon 680
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure your foot brake isn’t seized in the down position either. That foot brake lever can start to seize to its shaft after a few years of use. Even if it isn’t seized, now is a good time to take it apart, sand the shaft with sand paper, grease it good and reassemble.
Oh yeah the previous owner warned me that the foot lever gets stuck. I'm pretty sure it's not currently stuck down but I'll definitely take that apart while it's on the stand anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rincon 680
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did manage to get it off last night. This is my first ATV but I'm pretty sure these are supposed to be flat

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
Yikes.... is it east coast rust? We have the stronger rust as compared to the west coast... Ha!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: wasn't hitting hard enough. Got it off!

I just got a used 2012 Rincon and I'm doing all the routine maintenance. As I was doing a test ride, I started hearing a grinding noise anytime it was rolling. I figured it was a brake rubbing. Doesn't roll in neutral, got it lifted up and the front wheels rotate freely but the back wheels are jammed. Pulled the back right wheel off to pull the brakes but because it's seized, I can't get the caliper off. I took the bolts out and tried to muscle it for a bit but didn't get far. I can see the rotor turning when I move the caliper back and forth. What's the secret to removing a seized brake?

View attachment 21296
Next time use a C clamp to push the piston back into the cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts