Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do most of you members set the idle speed? By feel or do you use a tach? If you use a tach, where is the best place to find one? I just picked my rincon up from my dealer where they performed ( I think ), the 10 hr service. I think I just paid $170.00 for an oil change and I had to top the oil off myself when I got it home. Also the head gasket was leaking. I'll put that in another post.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use a small tach. I originally bought it for my Raptor. It has a tach and engine hour read out. The tach is a little slow to react under fast acceleration but works great for steady riding and setting the idle. It is the same one Yamaha sells but has Yamaha's name on it. I recently visited their web site and they have added a lot of new models since I bought mine 3 years ago for about $35. You can see them at sendec.com

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thaks Dura. I'll check sendec. I found one on aaen performance for $55.00. They also have an avenger 1 digatal tach that records engine rpm, exhaust gas temperature, and water temp. It records up to 6 min. of run time. Sure would make it easy to check your jetting witout pulling the spark plug all the time. At $450.00 I think I'll pass on that one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way! My dealer says they don't use a tach to set the idle. They go by ear till it has a nice Purrrrrr to it. Wonderful! Guess it depends on whose ears are doing the listening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered two tiny tacs for my rincons from Cabelas. I noticed that after riding for 30 min. the idle rpm was around 1650 on both units. The manual suggests 1400 + or - 100rpm. I set mine down to around 1200.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why 1200? Did 1400 sound a little high? Mine acts like it's going to shake to death at idle and that was off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If your idle is much less than 1400rpms you will have stalling problems on inclines. Keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I use the Tiny Tach from Cabelas also. I'm also due to set the idle on mine... it's kinda high. I'm about due for an oil change and valve adjustment too, so will take care of all of that this weekend.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts