Honda Rincon Forum banner

Short winter ride

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  smokey680 
#1 ·
6 of us got together on Saturday to go for a short ride on the bay of Green Bay. Snowing like a bitch, deep snow. We put on a total of 40 miles and went thru a full tank of gas! Talk about fuel mileage!! Had to have it in 4 wheel drive the entire time, and WOT! Took quite a beating, but stopped at Bottoms' Up in Pensaukee for a burger, and then ventured out to Geano' s Beach for a beverage. It was a good time, but wow, cold and snowy! Thank god for a windshield and hand/thumb warmers!!

#3 ·
Thor it was a balmy 7 degrees out without the windchill. Some of the guys with us (Rooster) didn't have a windshield, and he wouldn't admit it, but he was cold!! I was very comfortable for sure. Hands were warm, (actually had to shut the handwarmers down to low) windshield was perfect height. We had to stop a couple of times for the 2 guys who didn't have any handwarmers or windshields. After that ride, they are getting hand/thumbwarmers!!

Had to pull the rincon into the garage and fire up the heater to thaw it out!!

Pic may not be the best, it is off my cell phone!

#5 ·
Soul..

What the brand on your windsheild? easy on/off? I'm pretty full with the handwarmer controll and hand guards taking up most of the mounting space..wondering how it's mounted.

#7 ·
Y'all make me think of hypothermia. You know people die from hypothermia.

It has been6 years since it has been this cold here in Alabama.Only got down to 15F. Friday night I was riding the Rincon in 26F and I got cold. Had on plenty of hunting clothes along with heavy coveralls. Yesterday I went hunting @ 39F and it felt lke 60F. I got to get me some of the electric warmers.

#9 ·
Dblshock, it is a Moose windshield, the brackets mount to your handlebars, and the windshield mounts with two bolts. You just need to carry a couple of wrenches if you want to take it on or off.

Rincon all out, by all means, it's just that my schedule is so f'd up, I only have two full weekends off every 6 weeks or so. We are doing the 3rd annual Rincon Riders ride at my cabin this summer again. You are more than welcome to come! I work a 4 on 4 off schedule, so its' gonna be hit or miss when you have your ride in the UP. We were at the Lighthouse Bar for lunch this past Friday, near Cedar River. How close are you to that?

Mudbuddy, you know how I am. Hardcore to the core! I really enjoy the winter riding! You can be sure of one thing, if I didn't have a windshield and hand/thumb warmers, I would be Al Bundying it on the couch!!

#11 ·
Nope, tight as a drum. I placed a pan to catch the melting ice from the back of the machine. Had me scared for a minute!! I had put my torpedo heater close to it to thaw out my rinny. She was a solid block of ice. I wanted to make sure I got the ice off of the boots, don't want to tear up the boots if I don't have to!!

#13 ·
as a child I had a '70 Mark Donahue too..green 360 auto if memory is correct..wiped it out then I got another '70 AMX 2 seater same color..they were rare even in the day...what do they go for now?

#14 ·
dbleshock, I had a 68 SST Javelin, red white and blue! That baby flew, I got clocked officially at 138mph by Wisconsin State Patrol! I now have a 70 Donahue Javelin, 360 4 speed, posi, front discs, 140mph speedo and tach.

I had a guy offer me 22 large for it and I turned him down.

This is for Ultra tech, the pics I posted on this thread disappeared. Any insight?

#15 ·
dont keep picks in default folder. They have problems. Move picks to another folder or use photobucket.

#16 ·
Lets try again!

#17 ·
Going to repost pics from photbucket:

#18 ·
The photobucket pics are working as well as the last set of pics you posted from the site (for now)

7 degrees? I refuse to ride if it's below 20. Way to cold for my blood. Neat pictures and looks like fun.

Do the handwarmers really work that good, or do you guys have some great gloves as well?

#19 ·
Disturbed, the handwarmers are awesome! I have absolutely the worst hands in the cold! Got them frostbitten when I was very young! If I have my gloves off for more that 2 minutes, they are shot! There isn't a glove made that keeps my hands warm for very long. I always put those charcoal handwarmers in my gloves when I am doing stuff outside. Makes ice fishing a bitch,but that's why I use my pop up hunting blind for ice fishing, and have a Buddy heater inside.

The windshield makes all the difference also. I think even if you hand on the hand guards, it really cuts the wind off of your hands. Like I said before, I'm hardcore, but also too old to be cold!! If there's a way to be warm, I'll find it!

#21 ·
Soulman, I am looking for a good snow and trail tire. Never really in mud or water much. Do you like the Mudlites for that and are you running the stock tire size?

#22 ·
rinconjack, I have a particular fondness for my Mudlites. I do lots of mudding, lots of snow riding, and lots of trail riding. I don't have any experience with the Maxxis Bighorns, but lots of people swear by them. I think the next tire I get will be the Mudlite XTR radial tires. They are radials and have a flatter footprint. I am also running 26" tires. Hope this helps!

#23 ·
look at those nice new shinny wheels. was thinking about getting the same ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.