Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm making a skid plate of the first 1\3 of the underbody and can't find any pictures of how you guys mounted to the frame since there is no OEM bolts like the back half has. I'm using 3/16 uhmw for the install. I researched as many posts as I could but the pics wouldn't come up, not sure why.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about drilling a few small holes in the tube frame with self tapping 1/8"pan head screws and a washer? Probably not the best???

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I wouldn't drill to many holes in the frame... you will weaken it. For the very front I used 2 hose clamps on the sides of the front sub frame the rest were home made washers (Hole saw and extra 3/8 skid plate material) with a counter sunk hole for the bolt head. I used the factory skid plate mounting tabs. Been working fine for 16 years now. :) Instead of pan head, use socket, flat head or button for a torx bit to keep the profile near flush with the washer. The home made washers do get abused but they are easy to replace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Oilcan, good advice on the frame and that's what I was thinking ( actually pondered it for alwhile) but I really didn't think that drilling four 1/8 holes would compromise the strength of the frame. So I did that; and used a 1/2" Torx flat self tapping screw to keep it flush with the washer and some silcone to seal. There was already two OEM holes already drilled in the frame so I used them as well. It seems to be nice and tight. I tucked a couple of inches of material inside the space of the OEM skid plate so it wouldn't catch. I didn't get your post right away and in reading your post (hopefully four holes aren't to many) :eek: the hose clamps could have been used as well. Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I bent a piece of aluminum plate in my press, and I used carriage bolts through the stock “skid plate” to secure the front, and conduit hangers to secure the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts