Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Recently I have noticed my transmission slipping. In ESP Mode, in 3rd going down hill it slips in and out of gear. In 1st and stopped, on a full throttle it pauses revs up, then engages a second later. Never did this before. If it was in 3rd and stopped, it would rev up a lot before starting to move. The oil is checked regurlarly and full, it was 14 C degrees yesterday.(Sunny and warm) Anyone have an answer? I have 1500 KM's and she is an 03 version.

Oilcan

·
Registered
38 Posts
have you changed the oil ? did you use energy conserving, if so get rid of it, the stuff will make your clutches slip.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Festus

How's yer Kitty?

Yea, I did all the "regular things " oil, filter change, clean air filter and also checked the carb settings, all seem in order. The key I think is the slippage in 3rd from a start. My buddy can take off in 3rd like I used to (engaged and a steady pull to top speed), but now it'slike the clutches are spinnin and no friction. Then after a bit of revvin in neutral, it seems ok, but this never happened before. I change the oil and filter every 700K. Also, when descending a hill in 3rd, @ 30 - 40k the engine will rev like it is trying to engage (lower rpm's), then it lets go and I speed up the coast (rpm's don't change, just speed my speed), then it tries to re-engage. (Sorry if it sounds like Star Trek;-))
Is there a monitor (sensor) on the drive shaft or somewhere similar that could be defective and making the computer hallucinate?

Oilcan

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chikinman

I have done all that... except the reset. I just did it and will wait patiently for Saturday.

Thanks again both you and Festus

Oilcan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Resetting the ECM won't do a damn thing. Oilcan, you may want to have your oil pressure for the transmission checked. If you have a service manual, it tells you the PSI the pressure is suppossed to be at, if it's too much under that you may need to replace some O-rings in the tranny. There has been ALOT of discussion about these O-rings in the tranny going out causing it to slip and loose power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Rincon has 100 miles on it and now I notice it slipping when I first start it up and put in in gear. It takes a bit to get moving when giving it part throttle. Then when it's warmed up, I can idle it in gear and when I give it a little throttle, it jumps like dropping the clutch. It does this everytime in forward or reverse. It had been serviced by the Honda dealer before I bought it with 88 miles and everything worked fine. This acts like a tranny low in fluid. Is the engine and transmission oil all together? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
The engine and transmission share the same oil. I suggest warming your machine up and checking the oil level as indiciated in the manual. Also check your idle speed... it should be around 1300-1350 RPM, no more and no less. If it's low, then it could very well do what you're describing. If it's high, then engagement will be very sudden and jerky.

But, since your Rincon is brand new, give it some time. It takes almost 400 miles for these motors to break in, and by that time, you'll pick up more power and your off the line response may improve. A Dynojet kit will help your throttle response as well.

Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
It has worked fine until recently. I checked the oil and it's right where it needs to be. The idle is set right too.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys

I have put only 50 miles on my Rincon since I had it at Honda for service. I had a #9 error , meaning the shift solenoid was acting up.Prior to taking it to honda, I had just installed fresh oil and a K&N oil filter, and took it to Honda. There they dumped my $10.00/ltr oil and brand new filter in the garbage saying the oil is too thin! (BS all the way here) Did not return the filter so I could look at it. Said they cleaned the solenoid yet when I took my Rincon out the 1st part of the ride was up hill. I let it warm up (idle) for 5 minutes. I put it in Auto and away I went. Happy (fleeting happiness here) untill it tried to shift through 2nd. same old thing. Revs higher than I am moving, and seems to not engage untill I completly let off the throttle. After a while though it shifts ok. I don't get why it gets better. I was always strong from cold engine to warm up, not now though as it seems something is slipping when it feels like it.

Recomendations welcome. Anyone have a rep's number so I can talk directly to a Honda Tech (not a dealer tech)

Oilcan

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

Just received a call from my dealer, seems that after I exposed this site to them, they got off their asses and did something. I was informed that the O rings in my pump will be replaced with the new style, at no cost to me.

I'll keep you all posted, also my reporting the error code #8 was incorrect, it actually was a code #9

\cheers

Oilcan

·
Registered
19 Posts
was your Rincon is warrenty yet? Mine is out and the dealers here act like they have never heard of a problem like this. I even called the Honda tech # and they act dumb to this too.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
57ringo

Just read this site. If the dealer acts dumb do like I did and go to his office and get this forum up on his PC. No way they can dispute any issues we have with our rincons, mainly because now there are so many of us!
My 03 Rincon is under warranty, but my buddies is just past his. here is a quote from another poster:

Rob, a few weeks ago I noticed a drop in power in third gear. I hooked up the Honda issued gauge and tested the pressures; I got 80-85 psi at each test port (there are five test ports). I called Honda and told them of my findings. The person I taked to immediately told me that they had seen other Rincons with this problem. He told me to order the eight oil pump o-rings and that the replacement o-rings Honda would send would be blue in color as opposed to the original black. He also told me that Honda was covering this repair under warranty even on units past the warranty period; I was 6 months past my warranty period. I made the repair (very simple to work on BTW) and warmed up the engine to recheck the oil pressure, just to make sure all was well. I had an oil pressure of 160 psi at 5000 rpm with the engine very warm. I called back the Honda technician and explained the situation. He told me not to worry about it, plain and simple. So I haven't worried about it and have put on over 300 miles since doing the repair, my Rincon is running great. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Oilcan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oilcan.....When you say "I made the repair (very simple to work on BTW)", did you need any special tools to do the repairs? If so, could you list which tools and any replacement part #'s for the O-Rings, gaskets, seals, etc....so that those that may have this problem and don't want the dealer to touch their ATV for various reasons, can decide if this is something they are willing to try on their own.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sidewinder,
the quote was taken from another poster speaking to Rob G about his ordeal. Please re read the post, second paragraph is not me speakin! Sorry

Oilcan

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ask the same question in the original post and got no answer. Here is what I know so far. I have the O Rings in my hand. The part number is 91356-MA6-005. There are 8 of them and they are a dark blue color. You would swear they are black until you put them next to a black O Ring. You have to pull the front cover off the engine to access the oil pump. By front, it is the side toward the front of the machine. The pump will be toward the lower left. 4 of your O Rings go in front of the pump, 4 in back. The service manual says you have to pull the torque convertor to remove the pump. I can't see why other than the top bolt on the pump may not be accessable with it on. Should that be the case, the nut on the convertor would need replaced as it gets peened to avoid it backing off. The part number for that is 90235-HM7-000. There is no special gasket on the front cover, says to use sealer.

Guess I am the guinee pig. Will probably do something with it in the next week. The O Rings were $.95 ea, the nut $3.71, may not even need the nut but have it just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Topgun.....Please keep us updated on how things go if do decide to replace the O-Rings. I'm sure alot of people here would like to do the same procedure if everything could be done with normal tools. The only thing that peaks my curiousity is whether or not the torque converter could be taken off without the specified puller.

Good Luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts