Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all this rincon was running just fine before my brother noticed a power loss and found water in the oil. He took it to the dealer to have them check it out. They said they had found that the water pump was faulty and replaced it. He told them about the fact that it was slow to shift when in auto. They said they checked the "valve body" and everything was ok and that when they went for a test drive it ran fine.
Well, we got it home and it would barely hit 40mph and there is this tapping in the engine. I thought that maybe it was the valves so I checked them and found they were indeed in need of setting. After adjusting them I found there was no improvement in power. I listened to the tapping again and it seems to be coming from lower in the engine.
I checked the ecu for codes but not having a manual I don't know what the code meant. I continuously flashes code #8. I reset the ecu and then checked the codes again and came up with the same code. I assume this is the all good code but hopefully not since that would tell me the problem.
It was bought in Iowa (850' above sea level) and recently my brother moved down here to Texas (380' above sea level). Would a rincon sold in IA have different jets than one sold in Texas. I remember I had to rejet my 400ex when I went up there to visit.(I love my 400ex, it's so simple!)
I have been reading about the O-ring problem with the 2003 models but it doesn't seem like the tranny is slipping, more like the engine doesn't have any power. When I run it in ESP it shifts solid and also seems to jump everytime I shift. When run in auto is just doesn't want to upshift. Will the dealer check this out for free or will he have to pay them to check it out if it proves there is nothing wrong with the O-rings? I have a set of guages so if someone could point me in the right direction to the test ports I would be grateful. As of right now there is no way my bro can afford a service manual.
Sorry for the long post but I can never be brief. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
The service manual is available here for download.... Look in the thread called service manual...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Downloaded the service manual, thanks for all the info. I have done some other test and have found a few interesting things.

1. compression test: 65psi, supposed to be 75psi
2. ecm code #8: shift solenoid A, cleared code and it has not re-occured (1 short ride)
3. checked timing: OK , lots of oil and air blowing out timing hole? similar to leaving out the plug and turning it over except faster.
4. valves set

I'm still trying to scrape up the parts to make a guage to check the transmission pressure. I'm really just trying to get as much info as I can so that when I take it to the dealer I'll have something to show him.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Depending on how long the water was in the oil, you could have worn crank bearings, which could be responsible for the noise. Good luck getting Honda to do anything about it... so far three dealers haven't done anything for my Rincon that goes 48 mph at best.

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts
Where do you down load the manual at???

·
Registered
33 Posts
i cant get this to come up what sight did you find this link at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just now cut and pasted the url into the address bar at the top of Internet Explorer and it worked fine. It asks if you want to open or save the file. Save it. You might have another problem. I read that it will be gone this saturday. I found it in a thread called service manual as suggested by ISurvivedNMU, but like I said this url does work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts