Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Rincon for 2yrs and have never been in any water over my seat. I havent done any thing to my moter to make it so called (WATERPROOF). I havent rerouted the carb vent lines or anything else. All I have done is put 27in Mudlites and a Ramsey 3000 winch to make it ready for the mud. What I am wondering is how deep in water and mud can I put my Rincon in without risking damaging something? Here is a pic of my Rinny. Thanks for any imput. RedRider08

·
Registered
807 Posts
For deep water & mud......first say goodbye to the winch....LOL. You already covered the vent lines. Grease up the plugs & electrical. Make sure you have some tools to remove the carb drain & the spark plug and a long strap to pull you out. Oh, I almost forgot......if you ride down here where I'm at......you'll also need a .44 magnum to fend off the gators. HA In other words, if it's deep enough, you will get stuck!

·
Registered
409 Posts
The carb has an overflow line with a one way check valve near the bottom of it. It runs down sort of behind the pull starter. Some guys will plug this line completely when they know they will be in deep water and not rely on the check valve. Then unplug it when finished. Some also plug the weep hole in the bottom the pull starter housing with silicone and also just below the top of the rope handle so water cannot enter from these areas. The last two are on my "to do" list but just haven't gotten around to it. Probably think of it someday when it is to late fand it is filled with crud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have mine snorkled and the carb drain line plug it with a screw and don't take it out unless you have to , as far as the pull starter take it off!!
you cannot seal it " it won't work" they make a cover plate for it on highlifter.com seal the plug with {dielectric grease}?? and vent the carb lines, and don't ever forget just because you have a snorkle don't mean its a submarine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you play in deep mud or water and don't have a snorkle it only a matter of time!!!! check out mudanddirt.com
and go to the tech page and look for rincon snorkle!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
as far as a snorkel I am not sure about because I am looking to snorkel my as well but, I do know trying to seal the pull start is a waist of time, besides the Rincon's motor is sealed from the pull start anyways, so if you was to get mud or water in there it is not going to get to anything vital, it is just a pain to take off and clean out

·
Registered
10 Posts
not it is not seald ! if the dirt/mud eats your rear crankshaft seal it will let this trash in the motor, need to seal it!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You have to seal it!!!! I flipped my Rinny in a 6 foot deep river. I later tore apart the pull start, found so much mud and grime it was amazing. There are some companies making a mod to take off the pull start and replace it with a plate. I did what others have mentioned. I siliconed the hell out of it. If I need it, it's there, just break the silicone. The seal is a problem with all Honda machines, do not trust it!!

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Do not EVER think you can keep your tail pipe and intake nozzle hidden from a ******* Kentucky boy who was raised on "banjo" music....I will find it AND they will both be "wet" when I am done...LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
to the first ? about how deep can u go so water does not harm the rinny and the Ans. to that is just below the tank. take off ur seat and see the black ring around the intake that is ur intake and that would be ur snorkel from honda and the rinny is the most waterproof atv out on the market to day I have had it in deep water and lots of mud and clean as the day I got it and I have about 500 miles on trails of water and mud I have pulled the pull starter and no mud now I have a 05 rinny that I gor in sept.of O4 and have a buddy that has over a 1000 miles and has had it in mud snow and water and is hard on it and not problems and its a 04 he got in late oct. of 03

·
Registered
409 Posts
My concern is not so much the water coming into the intake as it is the exhaust. It still dies sometimes if I let off of the throttle quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
yeah,,, when your in deep water your commited to atleast a 1/4 throttle... I was going to make up a mechanical "cruise control" so that I can engage it in the deep stuff so when I make a mad dash for the front rack or one side or other I dont need to be too concerend about keeping a hand on the throttle... the water holes I have to cross from time to time are just above the height of the seat, with the stock snorkle, this is Okay but not the best situation I want to be in if for some reason the front end decides to bob under the water for an instant, its game over for me... and I'll need a pull out of the water... so long as I can keep the front end afloat its usually OK, this is why I think moving the air intake to up behine the radiator cap their I should get a few more inches of height on the level, but when the front end floats up and your essentially water wheely'ing I'll have more like a foot of additional height. Im just not a fan of the farking pipes sticking up out of the front plastic... it looks horrible..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Mudchucker, Do you know why the rincon's die in the water. I moved the vent lines up under the handle bars to stop the excess steam entering the carb when the hot motor gets wet. This was what I have read that causes one of the problem of the rincon shutting down. Other than that, I still have to keep on the gas to stop it from stalling. There is nothing worse that having to start the bike a couple of times in a hole with other riders watching.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did a couple of test with mine and I manage to stop the stalling by removing the square piece of plastic just above the seat and below the gas cap. I then took a square piece of heavy plastic and tape it on the clear intake plastic pipe and I then put the seat back on an duck tape everything on the body of the rincon and part of it on the seat. All this to stop the steam to be suck inside the air box. After I did this I tried the same water hole that use to give me stalling problem, I had put the finger on the problem that day I could have drove in water as much as I wanted, the bike never stalled or gave any sign that it was sucking steam. This was only a temporary thing I will snorkle the air intake sometime this winter and post some picks of it. I went to the scrapyard not to long ago and brought back the air intake hose off a Civic it's just the right size.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Miner, I was thinking of just snorking my bike to stop this problem. I found that High lifter sells a clean looking kit. It might be a little expensive once we pay the exchange rate and extra taxes. I'll have to look at all my options first.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check out this website for the Rincon

http://www.bayousnorkels.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have snorkeled mine and it stoped the stalling in the deep stuff. I used shop vac hose from air box up to the front black plastic that has honda on it. On the to do list making something that doesn't look like crap sticking out but took care of all the stalling problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I am working on a new snorkel system, or at least I haven't seen it anywhere. It will be hidden until needed. I should be completely finished by the weekend. When I am done I will take some pics and try to put them on my profile...if I can get my stupid computer to work right! But really what's still slowingme down from finishing the snorkel is the dang reverse rev limiter! For some reason I can't get it to work.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts