Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belive I am running the 144 main jet and when I checked the plug today it seemed to be a VERY light brown almost white in color. Should I move the jet to the 146? Mike you helped me with this should I adjust it or am I being to over worried about burning it up? I did adjust the A/F screw and finally got it set right I belive...although it STILL wants to die when I decelerate quickly...

Mike please call me if you have suggestions...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jason,

From your description, it sounds like you are about right on your main jet. Most of the other folks in here are running 144 w a K&N, w/o aftermarket exhaust. If you have made modifications to your stock exhaust, you might want to try a 146 just to see how it affects performance. If you are running aftermarket exhaust, you definately need to experiment with larger main jetting. If you are unsure, try this.

Put in a new, or at least very clean plug. Warm your bike up well. Put it on ESP and run it WOT in first, second and/or third, depending on how much room you have. Keep it pegged for at least 30 or 45 seconds, switch off the key and then take your thumb off the throttle. If you worked this out correctly, you will have just enough coasting speed to get to your shop area.

What you will have accomplished is an opportunity to check your plug for color as it pertains to the main jet only. If your sparkplug porcelin and electrode are a light brown to a copper color, you are pretty close. If it is a dark brown you may be a little rich. If it is white to grey in color, you are lean. It is always better to err on the side of being a froghair rich than too lean.

You can also perform this test for needle/e-clip position by only running at half throttle for about the same amount of time. It is important to start with a clean/new plug each time you test.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

This has worked well for me over the years and I have yet to burn one up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help :) I will do that this weekend

1 - 3 of 3 Posts