Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have loaded my new Rincon with everything I need, except this one...A locker. I have a Detroit locker in my Rancher and it does not steer all that easy so I was thinking of just putting in a spool locker ($39.00) from Highlifter but have 2 important concerns:

1. When it is in 2WD, will it steer easily or will the front 2 wheels still be locked together and cause me problems?

2. The instructions say I will have to adjust the "toe" out 5/8 inch, and this bugs me a bit because I am not experienced in this area and don't know the procedure.

Has anyone done this and if so, what are the results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The DGL is not locked when there is no torque on the front driveshaft. So when you are in 2wd, the DGL has no effect whatsoever on the steering. When you shift to 4x4, torque from the front shaft engages the locker mechanism.

No matter what they say, it is a lot harder to steer than stock when engaged. Normally to go around a turn, your inner wheel needs to slow and the outer speed up. With the DGL, the inner wheel never goes slower than the back wheels so you will fight the bars to make your turn. The outer can unlock and go faster but you still fight that inner wheel. I personally don't like it for the kind of riding I do. In the mud it is great but for trailriding, I give it a thumbs down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. That explains why one is $39.00 and the other is almost $345.00 Doh!

·
Registered
201 Posts
How often will you be making higher speed cornering in 4wd. I do not put in 4wd unless I am in some thicker mud, and most of the time you will be in 2wd, which will have no affect on steering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts