Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’m getting a soft high pitched soft squeaking sound from the rear right tire (I think). It’s pretty consistent and I only hear it at speeds less than 10 mph. It also seems to occur at the same place on the revolution of the wheel. I’ve checked it’s not rubbing on anything or bent, so I’m not sure what else to check.

I’ve done some mechanical work, replaced the carb, the thermostat, neutral sensor, temp sensor and installed winch and plow. I’m decent, but by no means a mechanical expert. I checked both the owner and the service manual, and I can’t seem to find anything I need to grease. Any ideas what it may be? 2003 Rincon 650

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the squeak change if you lightly apply rear foot brake or rear handbrake as it rolls? If so might be on the rear brake caliper on the rear shaft. Mine squeaks sometimes when reversing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all, thanks for the responses.

@TaH , when I apply some light brake it gets louder.
@Oilcan, when I sit on the rear rack (I weight 200 lbs) I find it doesn't really seem to cause any change in the sound.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
What do your pads look like (there is an indicator) on the caliper. Also check below the disc, I have seen small rocks nest there which can also cause a squeak.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @Oilcan. I checked the indicator, see the attached picture.

To be honest it’s so dirty it’s tough to tell, so I’m guessing this may be part of the noise. What’s the best way to clean everything without taking it apart (if possible)?

A related question, should those two arrows line up? It’s hard to tell from the photo angle, but they’re probably offset by almost a 1/2”.

The service manual I have is for the 500cc 2001-2003 model, and it doesn’t seem to have the same rear brake mechanism as the 650, so I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking at. If anyone knows where I can get the service manual for a 2003 650, that would be great!
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Needs a good cleaning...The indicator shows good pad life still, but I would remove the caliper, service it, a little silicon grease on the sliding parts and reassemble. Make sure the park brake cable is properly adjusted and check again for that squeak.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Yeah hung up caliper pins, dust/gunk and the like can cause that brake to squeak. I’d just go ahead and pull it apart, and probably change brake fluid and do the front caliper mounts and fluid as long as the tools are out.

The rear caliper mount pins are shown at about 6:00 into this video, if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Yeah hung up caliper pins, dust/gunk and the like can cause that brake to squeak. I’d just go ahead and pull it apart, and probably change brake fluid and do the front caliper mounts and fluid as long as the tools are out.

The rear caliper mount pins are shown at about 6:00 into this video, if that helps.
You funny... 03 had shoes on the front.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Right you are! Forgot it was 03.

In that case maybe clean and inspect the shoes and drum, flush fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts