Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got several issues I'm trying to sort out on a 2004 650. After I ride for about an hour, my engine will suddenly stall. It cranks back up immediately, but will often stall several times before I get it moving again. I might make it a quarter mile before it repeats. I don't think it's a fuel issue, unless maybe it's a pump going bad. I've pulled the gas tank and the filter screen was spotless. The engine seems really hot when it's doing it. I can feel the heat coming off. Coolant levels are good and the fan runs fine. I'm not getting any codes. While researching the problem, I found one guy on another forum that described the exact same problem. His issue ended up being an ECU that was going bad. Does that make sense to any of you? I hate to throw money at such an expensive part if it's not the problem. Anything else I should check before ordering one?

I have the GPScape model and my display died. I'd like to replace it, but the GPS version is pricey. I could care less about having the GPS, so is there any reason I can't replace it with a non-GPS model?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Super Moderator
6,832 Posts
When it starts stalling (after an hour of easy riding you say) crack the gas cap and listen for a sucking sound. I suspect the cap vent is plugged as it takes a while for the tank to create the vacuum. Your Rincon does not have a fuel pump , it's plain ol gravity feed. If your tank is clean and the screen is clean, and a new inline filter is added, your set. Check this simple step 1st. As for the display, any 03-05 display will work. You can order the non GPS unit by ordering the Meter off an 03 as they did not come with GPS until 04.
2005 Honda TRX650FA A METER | Cheap Cycle Parts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts