Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have to admit, right after I bought mine I started reading all these posts and wanted to get rid of it, but I went to a rally his weekend and decided it would be fine.

I'm all stock, but everybody else in the group had big exhaust, jetting, tires, lifts, you name it, and the only time I couldn't hang with them was when they drove out into sone water over their gas tank.

True, I miss the low range/engine braking when riding on steep trails, but I have been riding ATV's since my first honda 70 three wheeler 23 years ago, and so far I've learned the brake handles are there for a reason.

I think a Rubicon would probably have been a better choice for me ( I like steep trails), But I can put my wife on the back and my 3 year old in front of me and ride this thing all day, it's so smooth. Good thing I'm satisfied, because I don't have the $$$ to trade it in on anything like a foreman or rubicon anyway.

I have no point here, and I can understand the frustration of Honda not standing behind their product in Rob's place, but I wouldn't try to talk anyone else out of buying one. Anyway, I hope he keeps this site up or passes it to somebody who will.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
With luck, mine will be sold in the near future, then I can walk away knowing that I'll never again own another Honda product of any type... not even a lawnmower.

I'm glad you like yours, and I'm glad the rest of you who like your Rincons are happy with them. Me, I'm just fed up with it, with the dealers, and with Honda as a company.

Rob

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also attended the Ralley at Pool Ranch that EastTexasMedic was at. There was several Rincons there and let me say up front that one did not win the Mud Bog contest. I saw a really neat looking Brute Force with 28" Mudzillas on it, and it set up well and looked mean. There were guys all over the place with their BFs doing wheelies,etc. And the one in the Mud Bog contest never made it out of the second hole. Swamped it. No doubt about it, I would like to have one, but there is that thing about being a belt drive that keeps popping out of some deep corner of my pea sized brain raising doubt. But, I was hesitant to get in the mud hole knowing I would probably have to be pulled out in front of hundreds of non-rincon fans, even if was only for fun. :)

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
It's too bad so many people have bad opinions of the CVT transmission. I used to be so-so on it, not really caring one way or another. Now I'm pro-CVT as opposed to anything else. Why? Snowmobiling. I spent last Winter on snowmobiles and have done a lot of reading about them. These are the guys that really know how to setup a CVT properly, and there's a lot to be learned from them.

CVT trannies are infinitely configurable given what you want to do to your ATV. It takes time to get it right, but the time is well spent. Honda doesn't give you that option. I do like their Hondamatic tranny in the Rubicon, but I think the Rincon's tranny is a joke and should never have been used in an ATV.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my friends was out at Pool Ranch with his 03 Rincon, 27" Outlaws, lift, dynojet, dual glasspacks(loud!), he got into some mud and when he was almost through, it stopped and no matter what it wouldn't turn those tires. A low range would make it a different bike, but oh well.

·
Registered
732 Posts
This past weekend I had a party, and some folks wanted to go on on a hay ride and heres what happened. 5x10 tilt trailer with wood floor, 14 adults, no children,8 bails of straw and just 1 Rincon in 4x4 ESP and 1 driver. You do the math, its a hellava lot more than 850pounds. I realize this sounds like abuse to some of you, but after several drinks and your the host, you'll do whatever they ask.
My point is some want to say the rinny doesnt or cant hang with some other quads, I say bullshit! I know what this bike is capable of regardless of what some people only read in their magazines. I dont relate to what i read, i only relate to what i have done. Mine has out pulled, gone through deeper mud, and out ran several other quads. Nobody on this website or any other will change my opinion about my rincon.(nice try Rob) your biggest problem with yours is probably the rider. In fact I'm sure of it. I dont need a reply from you Rob because frankly im sick and tired of your crying.
All im trying to say is that this website was probably created for rincon riders to help each other and talk about their personal achievments. Not the shortcomings of their rincon or how they'll never own another.
Okay, im finished i just needed to get that off my chest, hope everyone has a great day.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you! Rob has gone to great lengths and expense to put up and keep up this Ricon site.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Philjo.... If you only relate to what you do & not what you read, then why do you bother to read the posts on this site. Along with the positive & helpful information here, this forum also points out issues with the product, the manufacturer, the dealers & the potential of being stuck with either a lemon product or inept support network. That is very important & helpful information as well. Unless you have first hand experienced poor customer service or a defective unit, you're certainly not going to understand the frustrating and upsetting nature of it. It has nothing to do with the rider, and more to do with corporate greed. It can cause a lasting impact on a consumer. I know, Ive experienced it with my Rincons & dealer as well. I just deal with it aggressively and accept that it's typical of most everything you buy now days.
The new corporate policy seems to be "Make every possible dime you can off the customer"....even with deception, and if they don't like it..."**** em" what are they gonna do!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll have to admit that nothing can poison you as quickly as a forum, no matter what the subject matter. When a revered or prominent member speaks out negatively against something the status quo changes a little. Negativity goes a long ways in just a little time. All in all the Rincon is a great machine. Give a Rincon to anyone with a lot of extreme riding under their belts, and they'll most likely find the Rincon lacking. Take that same Rincon and load it to the hilt with gear and tote a trailer into the Alaskan wilderness, and you are sure to come to love it as if it were a reliable old sled dog.

Each to his own. If you want wheelies and raw power, buy a sport atv. If you want rock-solid reliability and day-long comfort - get a Rincon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There will be good and bad to anything. RobG has done us all a great big service by setting up and maintaining this site. I've learned a lot. I agree with some and not with others. But, I do think that discussing....even arguing....the machine, the accessories, the dealers, the manufacturer....well, that's good and healthy. When we attack each other....well that's bad and doesn't promote open discussion. No one is forcing any of us to participate, much less read, this forum. I offer my personal thanks to RobG for supporting Rincon owners and riders.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well said, Rockhead and QzATV.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Rockhead I must say that I don't agree with your statement about the Rincon lacking in the extreme riding area unless your idea of extreme is mud or perhaps rock crawling.

As I have said before I ride with my son and his Raptor often, mostly in the mountains. When I ride with him the riding is usually extreme (WFO)

I don't think there is another sport/ute with the handling characteristics to keep up with the Rincon under these conditions. Sure they have faster drag times but, anyone can go fast in a straight line. Take the Brute Force for example. It has a monster motor and so so suspension and handling (read the reviews). In rough terrain the Rincon would eat it up...

·
Registered
282 Posts
hondaman, you say "I don't agree with your statement about the rincon lacking in the extreme riding area unless you ridea of extreme is mud or perhaps rock crawling"..

well, that is the definition of extreme?? and honestly, the Grizzly, Polaris 500HO, and many others I could mention are MUCH faster than the rincon, so its not the fastest either...The Rincon is a comprimise between hardcore rock crawling and a sport bike...MAYBE that is why its called a sport/utility.

This "mix" of breed's is definitly NOT the ticket for some riders, and just perfect for others. All that matters is that your happy because you will not change the opinions of others.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Jason,

With all due respect mud is not extreme. You say the Grizz & Polaris are much faster than the Rincon. As I said before ANYONE CAN GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

I can guarantee you a Rincon will smoke a Grizzly or pos Polaris cross country given equal riders. Horsepower is not everything. Handling is much more important for going fast. How do I know this? Experience. When I was younger I used to race dirt bikes (motocross). You know which class usually had the fastest lap times? 80cc expert. Thats right. And the reason is because of the handling NOT horsepower. The big bore CR's & YZ's had oodles & gobs more horsepower than the 80's but slower lap times especially on technical tracks.

When you speak of going the fastest you obviously are talking about drag racing. I on the other hand I am considering the whole package when discussing speed & performance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok...I see we'll have to agree to disagree on some points here. My thought is simple, and in line with East Texas Medic. I've had and or ridden alot of machines and ideally there is no doubt the Rincon has flawes. However, in the riding I've been able to do on the machine I have to say overall I'm happy with my decisicion and comfort is the best of all I've ridden. RobG, I hear where your coming from and it sucks you've been tainted. Hopefully your next purchase won't go the same road. I love the forum though and appreciate your keeping it going for now. Ride safe...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Philjo does have a point, about the Rinny, but I do not agree with last part of his post blasting RobG.
The part I agree with is the apparently hidden torque the Rinny does have. I don't understand why some can't even get the wheels to turn.
I had to perform a rescue with my Rinny that had the engine pulling about 1,800 pounds of machine and riders up hills to get them back to water in order to survive the desert. The temp outside was about 105, and at points was doing about 35MPH on the not so steep inclines. ALL of this with at least 350 lbs of weight on the back rack as we had to strap the other quads front end up on the rack in order to get the front end off the ground, because the A-arm was broke(Polaris).
All I can say is I was astounded at how well the engine and transmission worked under these conditions, and the engine did not overheat.
No, I still cannot pull a wheelie, but as time goes on, the Rinny is getting more power. Everytime I ride it it seems that I am noticing a small gain in power, so one of these days I expect to get that wheelie.

Thanks RobG for this forum, I hope you keep it going even though you find no common interest anymore with us Red Riders. I have rode red for 37 years now, with the exception of 1 Hodaka, and 1 Yammerhammer, and I think Honda is still the best overall company for the small bore motorsports. The ATV market is probably the biggest weak point in thier lineup, and if I would have waited, might have bought the King Quad instead, but I am very pleased with the Rinny, it was right choice for me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not another blast...

My story:

I purchased a Honda Element in December of 2003 that was promptly messed up by my dealer (wiring harness all hacked apart to install some aftermarket alarm I didn't ask for). After three attempts to have the dealer make things right I called Honda customer service. After putting about 2500 miles on it in the middle of a New England winter, customer service instructed the dealer to replaced it, not the harness but the entire vehicle.

I know that Honda automobiles is a seperate division of American Honda but they all report back to the same corporation. My above interaction with customer service was obviously very positive so part of me feels that Rob just hasn't found the right person to talk to, or it's possible that he is being unreasonable? I don't know the entire story and don't care much too, I am very happy with all Honda products I have purchased and will continue to be a customer. This observation is based on the fact that my interactions with customer support were so good I find it tough to believe that someone could have as much trouble with them as Rob has. They didn't give me a new spark plug boot or repair the transmission on a $7k ATV, they gave me a new $22k vehicle!!

I guess my point is that I know they are a great company, they make a great product and I hope that Rob doesn't really give up on them like he says he will, someone at Honda can get to the bottom of his trouble.

·
Registered
322 Posts
RobG,

Backing up just a little, do you simply have someone else close to you that has a rinny to compare to? I know of most of the problems you have had but still think that a side by side comparison would be worthy of a try because every riders terrain is different in other area's. The bike I own has been pretty flawless except for small items. Simply put, I hope you don't give up entirely on Honda.........There will be lemons in everything you buy, but Honda makes a quality product.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
My thanks to you RobG for getting the site going. It helped me out installing a Jet kit. I am happy with my 04 haven't had any problems. got about 650 miles on it. I even pulled in a atv pull I did pretty well didn't beat every body but didn't get embarased either. I had it in the mud up to the seat. the only problem was the radaiator got clogged with mud but expected that and g;eaned it ouy before it overheated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I aint saying i agree with philjo 100%, but it does get kind of tiring hearing phil complain about his rincon.I mean, we all know he got a lemon, and his dealer sucks, but there are alot of us that have 65-67m.p.h. rincons that will wheelie easy, mud pretty good, and have had no problems at all.It seems everytime there is a post about a problem, he has to chime in and slam the rincon.Phil, you also own a grizzly, and know when you drench it , the belt starts to slip.Also they have had a ton of joint failures.My buddy has one, an 04" and his will slip whenever the water gets over the bottom of the engine.Also my rincon will run right beside him in a drag race all the way to 67 mph where mine will hit the rev limiter.The grizzly is a great quad, but also has flaws, hell they all do.I really appreciate the site phil, and know your problems have nothing to do with the rider, but we dont like hearing how bad you hate honda on every subject.You got a lemon, thats all.Every brand makes em, some stand behind it some wont.The dealers have alot to do with that.I would sell the rincon too if i had all the trouble you have.But theres alot of rincons that are trouble free,and the owners love em.Hope you aint pissed, but i thought i would chime in on my opinion of the whole thing.Later

1 - 20 of 26 Posts