Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just wasted a good part of probably my last weekend to ride this fall by getting a torn sidewall on a rear stock tire. We were riding in northern NH about 12 miles from the trucks when we noticed I had just about a flat. The one guy that has a plug kit wasn't with us so we had to pump it up about 10 times to get out of the woods, luckily it would hold air about 5 minutes and someone had a hand pump. We were able to get a few plugs in it and get another short ride in later in the day but so much for the long weekend of riding we had planned. Needless to say I now have a plug kit and a small 12v compressor on the way.

So I know this has been discussed many times but I just have a few questions:

I like the Mudlites but with no other mods than an exhaust tip do I go to the 26" or stick with the 25" ?

How are the sidewalls, will they hold up better in the rocky stuff?

We ride a mixture of everything, hardpack, rocks, mud, roots, little snow, is the Mudlite a good choice? Something better?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if the stockers could be considered garbage, but there sure are better tires available aftermarket. When mine wore out, which didn't take as long as I thought it should, I went to ITP ATR Holeshots. For where I ride and the way they make the Rincon handle, I rate them excellent. I will buy another set when these go away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
26's are the best choice for mudding if you can deal with a small power loss.... I really don't notice it, but im sure it takes some power away.... The mudlites will hold up great in rocks as far as sidewalls go.... But i have found that shale and other sharp rocks will cut the tread part of the tire.... It seems soft..... Great trail tire, wonderful rock and root tires, excellent light snow tire..... Not so good rock and deep snow tire...

·
Registered
231 Posts
A bunch of us are happy with our 26" ITP 589s but the less aggressive mudlites seem to be the most popular. 589 pictures in profile towards the bottom.

I'd make the same decision as I did but one thing I failed to consider when selecting tires was the width of the Rincon with the new tires/rims. There's some narrow trails out there.

Also I carry some stuff called green slime or something like that. Suppose to be very handy for flat tires. Never had to use it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't say they are any better because I have a set of 26" Mudlites and I currently have a hole in one of the sidewalls and also had a stick puncture another tire right next to a tread.

Not sure what punctured the sidewall since my son was riding it at the time on a night ride and he has no idea what he hit.

The stick puncture happened while I riding in the woods at low speed.

I have now filled all of my tires with tire Slime to help prevent this from happening in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I think the only difference between 25" and 26" Mudlights are the height of the tread. I think the tread on the 25" are .750 in height and the 26" is 1.00. Might want to check on that to be sure.

·
Registered
800 Posts
replacing the stock tires is 1 of the first mods you should do.there is no 1 best tire for the rinny.i have 26"mudlites and in mud and going though the trails caint be beat.but with deep treads comes a rougher ride.i live on 118 acres 30 of it is open fields and i have notice that the deeper lugs are not good for my lawn and dirt driveway that i need to cross to get to the field. i am going to be getting a second set of tires and rims somthing like itp atr holeshots for around my house and put the mudlites on when i am going rideing with the guys. maby 25" mudlites would be a good choice if you wanted a tire haft way between stock and the deeper lugs of a 26"tire guess it all depends on what you ride on the most.its your money spend it wisely lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
The new Polaris (PXT) radial tires are a really good looking tire. According to the dealer here they are supposed to be 6 ply. I just got my 589's so I did'nt price the PXT's. The only size that was offered the 26 inch. Got a feeling they would be pricy though.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I opted to go with the 27" Titan 589s because of all the muddin we do around here. They ride pretty smooth for a big mud tire and they are 6 ply and have a strong sidewall that covers the outside of your rim to keep from getting dings in 'em. I ride alot of woods, mud and rough trails and have never had a flat. I might just be lucky though.Also the wieght on the titans isn't too much on the rinny motor, they are a pretty light tire. My second choice was the mudlites. Might try them after these wear down some.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a set of 25" Dirt Devils, I do not ride in mud but take on the mud on the trails of Windrock, Don't go looking for it tho. We travel on everything from Blacktop roads to Gravel trails to backwoods trails strewn with rocks and downed trees, to 2' deep mud puddles, across the trails, to snow and icey trails. Lots of climbs and off camber stuff and the Dirt Devils have not let me down, they seem to be a hearty tire (6-ply) that should last a couple thousand miles. I got a buddy with a Rincon as well, Toolman, and he swears by the Maxxis Bighorns. They are supurb tires for everything but really deep mud, IMO. He also had holeshots, which are great trail tires but not much for the muck of the east coast, I believe he is in Nevada, (read, not much rain). I had to pull my buddy out of mud with them with my stockers before I got my new tires, seems they clog up real easy cause the lugs are very close together, anyway, that is my 2 cents, hope it helps.
BTW, if you get the 26" Dirt Devils, they have a larger lug than the 25's.
Good Luck with your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts