Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this- while on a ride today on the new Rincon (has only 30 miles on it). I had it in 4wd and then switched back to 2wd except it didn't go out of 4wd (the light stayed on). I finally had to stop & switch off the ignition so the light went out and it went to 2wd! Other than that and the unusual engine braking the machine is great and I love it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It does take time to come out of 4wd, and that is normal. But, you should have to shut the ignition off. Coming to a complete stop will shut it off and so will tapping the throttle or brake. It takes some time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine does the same thing , I think it will not switch out of 4x4 if your going fast, I Noticed that when I slow down or stopped the light went off.

·
Registered
716 Posts
yes you do have to come to a complete stop for it to disengage it's a safety
thing. you also have to be on a level surface.honda does that so if your going up hill in four wheel drive if you accidentally hit two wheel drive it won't come out of four wheel drive because if you do your back wheels might start to spin and you could flip it backwards so your rinny is doing what it is supposed to do.(normal)

·
Administrator
12,361 Posts
Its not normal if you are stopped and it wont come out of 4x4.... I had that happen to me on my 06, I had to shut the machine off then it was fine... Has been ok since, not sure why it did that.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Mine usually kicks out right before I stop. that is normal for the riny. Nice feature if you accidently bump the switch going up a nasty hill.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Normal. A little stab on the throttle will release mine.

·
Super Moderator
6,527 Posts
I find it difficult to release 4 wheel drive with your thumb into the throttle. However, it is easier to let off, switch, then back into it. If it does not disengage, there is a problem in the solenoid, or wiriing/switch

If you are in 2wd and switch to 4x4, same thing, just let off the throttle, for a second and right back into it, you should be in 4x4 now.

That is why they put the switch by the throttle, so you would release the throttle, switch to 4x4 or 4x2 and then back on the throttle.

You DO NOT have to stop the machine to switch in or out of 4x4.

Engine brking in 4x4 mode is better on the newer models, but to enjoy it you must learn how to use it. Try going down some moderate inclines in 4x4, esp 1st gear and no brakes and watch how the wheel spin will disengage the engine braking.If the wheels do slip and it disengages, use the brakes to get your speed back down below 10MPH/15KMH and it should re-engage. In 2wd it is useless as the rear wheels will easily lock up. I believe engine braking was meant for 4x4 mode.

·
Registered
716 Posts
correct me if im wrong but if your in four wheel drive and going up hill the machine will not disengage that is normal.but when you stop it will but you have to be level if your on too much of an angle up or down it will not disengage

·
Super Moderator
6,527 Posts
correct me if im wrong but if your in four wheel drive and going up hill the machine will not disengage that is normal,

correct as long as you keep your thumb into the throttle,

however.....

Refer to the manual pages 23-4, 5 and 6.

The best trouble shooting is on page 23-7. Simple tests to prove it is the final drive clutch or something else... as mudbuddy has eluded to ;-)

PS.. Above I referred to the front drive switching mechanism as a solenoid.... the manual references to it as the final drive clutch.

·
Registered
937 Posts
when you switch from 4wd it wont go off if you keep steady throttle u just need to bump the gas a little

·
Registered
122 Posts
The shifter is electric, the function -mechanical.
Some of you guys must have had an old 4x4??
The tension on the gears won't let it disengage. until you back up, or run on a slippery surface, the gears can't release.
Try pulling off the road to the gravel shoulder, on at least one set of wheels
and slow a bit. The light should go off.
Ive had a dozen old 4x4s, and you couldent get many of them out of four wheel easy (unless the wheels were perfectly matched),Without pushing like hell, or getting off hard ground, my Rincon acts the same.
It will stay engaged until I get off the pavement, or hard trail,then the light goes out.
You may have some other issue but it may be nothing at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts