Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy guy's

Have anyone of you use this oil for cold weather operation? If yes how did you find it.It's Honda 0w-30 synthetic oil without moly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have not tried it, but it is a blend of synthetic and petroleum oil. I use Rotella synthetic and have had no problems with it.

John

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you John!

I will be changing my oil next week 5500Km.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hondas 0W-30 is meant for really cold weather operation. Where you live, it would
be just the ticket I would think.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess this oil is good from -30 to +20 celsius, can't wait to see if there will be a difference in very cold weather, like -30. You spit and by the time it hits the ground it's frozen.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have been running this oil since last year, in the fall, winter and early spring. It performs very well and makes a huge difference in cold weather starting and shifting. I don't care if it's -40 Celsius outside, with the HP4 0W30 and two shots of primer, your Rincon will start without a problem. You still have to let the machine warm up in this type of cold, but it doesn't take as long to shift smoothly. I currently have 6350 km on my 03 Rincon and have run this oil for about 2000km out of those. Great oil.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello ATVtech!

It's nice to exchange with someone from the area.I'm glad to hear that you tried this oil and had good experience.Do you do a lot of mud driving? How much mileage you got on your rear brake pad before you had to change them,if you had too.Have you had the chance to try a Detroit gearless on your Rincon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I ride some mud, just not for fun. I have two sets of wheels/tires. The stock setup is used for trail riding which is what I love to do. The Mudlites on C-series are used only when I know I will be hitting deep mud, and during hunting season. I'd say I mud ride about 20% of the time.

Regarding the rear brake pads, I have 6350 kms on my Rincon and am still on the original pads. Judging by the minimal wear, I'd guess the original pads will last at least another 2000 kms. Not bad in my mind.

I haven't tried the gearless locker on my Rincon because I don't want to machine the original ring gear. If I rode more mud I would think about it, but the infamous 3WD is just fine in my book. Haven't broken an axle yet.

I will be hitting 4000 miles (6438 kms) on my Rincon next weekend and will be posting an extensive report at that time. Stay tuned for that...

·
Registered
322 Posts
How often are yall changing the oil with the aftermarket synthetics? Are you still going by the book or waiting a little longer. I run full synthetics in my truck and 4-runner to 5 or 6k before changing but the rinny is about due.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rincon!,
I use Rotella synthetic and change at regular intervals recommended by Honda. The oil is only about $12.00 at Walmart. Small price to keep the machine working.

John

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can easily go double the recommended change interval with full synthetics.
Once a year is not uncommon, depending on how much you ride of course.
Any blend should be changed at the recommended interval.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That was my plan....about twice as long because the synthetics will not break down like a conventional oil does. Now days, some vehicles we sell @ the dealership (Audi) go for 10,000 on an oil change using 5w40 castrol synthetics. Thats too long for my standards but it definitely shows how much more refined the synthetics are and can be trusted far longer.

Just wanted everyone else's 2-cents..........???????

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to try that oil. I have only had the Rincon less than two weeks and after warm up (two minutes) it still takes a half a mile to shift out of first. I think that i will wait until over 500 miles or maybe more to go to synthtic (i have had some synthetic issues this year with Amsoil products and im surprised there isnt someone on here peddling amsoil as mostly every offroadvehicle forum has one! Amsoil to me even prior to use has always seemed like a pyramind scheme!) Is this Honda oil energy conserving? What about the Rotella? I looked at Syntec, Mobil 1, and mineral Castrol and they all are energy conserving. I changed my oil out at 96 miles saturday, which was a blast, espcially putting the oil back in (way established discussion im sure) but overall easy with the exception of spilling some oil on the frame. I will just research these oils if no one knows about there breakdown as far as grades/energy conserving.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
nonir, take a closer look at the Castrol Syntec labling... here is my recent revelation... ( I just bought 60 bottles of syntec at costo for about 2 bucks a liter, 60 bottles cost me $140.00 )

the weight is written on the bottle and on the case, in both blue and red... when you see the blue (or green) printing, flip over the bottle, its API circle says Energy Conserving, now grab the same bottle with the red printing on the lable and take a look at the API circle... its not Energy Conserving.

In the USA, WallMart sells the shell oil products, and that is where you would purchase your RotellaT synthetic oil, wich is the "amsoil" equivelent on this forum...

maybe I'll take a photo of what Im talking about...we all know how much I love photos... ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
nocnir,

FYI-Quicker oil changes

There was a posting a while back on here about a easy way to put oil in. WalMart has a long black funnel in their oil section. The tip of the funnel fits perfect where you add oil. You will be able to add three quarts of oil in a couple minutes. It makes changing the oil a lot better experiance. The first time I changed my oil it took at least 15 minutes adding all the oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts