Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to see if there has been any agreement amongst the group as to which jetting settings should be tried first. I really don't feel like experimenting till I go nuts. I have the 2" exhaust tip and the K&N filter ready to go. I installed the exhaust tips on both rincons, and they show some signs of being a little rich in the cold dense air now. I will install the filters at the same time that I rejet the carbs. Surely you guys have some sure fire, go to settings for me to start with.

I know this subject has been discussed a lot, but I am only interested in what worked, not what didn't work.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
funny thing, Im obsessed with experimenting till I go nuts...

currently I have the stock tip, and have have a Uni-Filter and DJ #148 Jet and it runs well, with the exception of that farking stalling when I let off the throttle after pulling up had incline etc... (but I think thats about dialing it in )

I started with the DJ 144, my intention is to keep "up" jetting till I backfire a little when i let off from wide open throttle, or the plug fouls...I have stopped at the #148 till my 2 inch tip arrives, and will go up another notch when it does arrive, I will be ordering and HMF pipe or MBRP pipe soon, and will more then likley go up another notch again...

I have also ordered new pilot jets as well, and will be getting them in a week or so, this is going to be an attempt at working out a few stalling issues...

the final tally on todays setup,

Uni-Filter
Dj #148 Main Jet
e-clip on 3rd notch (going to move to 4th notch on sunday)
stock exhaust

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jay,
I ran the 2" tip for a long time and when I jetted my rincon I got the best results with the #146 main and the clip on the 3rd slot with the mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out. I did run it for a long time with the mixture screw 3 turns out and really couldn't tell much change in it except it seemed to idle smoother when it was 2 1/2 turns out. I hope this helps. This should be a very close setting for you to try it really depends alot on your temp, and elevation. I am at 1000 feet here in Tennessee and the average temp is around 70-75 degrees

·
Registered
371 Posts
Try the stock #152 main jet first. I tried the DJ #144, 146, and 148 and ended up putting the stock #152 main jet back in. Install the dj spring with the clip on the 2nd groove, F/A screw out 2 1/8 turns (easiest part of the install) and see how it runs. If your not happy with it than try changeing your main jet. ( hardest part of the install). Im at about 1000' elevation also. That combo gave "me" the best performance through out the power range.

·
Registered
732 Posts
2" tip, Uni-filter, and Jetkit.Mine runs like a top. Top-Secret directions below.

Follow the Directions, thats all I did and I've had no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2 inch tip,dj kit 144 main 2nd notch on needle,2 stock spacers under needle dj spacer ontop. i have the [email protected] filter as well but didnt notice any performence dif compared to stock filter. i found that i needed to richen the idle jet due to backfireing durning a off throttle high rpm downshift in esp mode.mudchucker stated that he will keep raising the main jet to cure this but if you read the instuctions carefully you will see that its the idle jet that will cure that problem not the main. after all when you let off the trottle the main jet is not allowing the fuel to enter the engine its the idle jet doing the fuel metering at that time.good luck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
2" exhaust tip, drilled through baffles, DJ needle with two washer under clip in second groove. Have run several DJ jets and went back to the stock Honda #152. I too have the backfiring when letting off from full throttle, will try a #45 pilot jet to cure.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Just a little heads up. If we all lived at the same barometric pressure and temp and had the same modifacations, then we wouldn't even need adjustments. Keep in mind here that each person's ideal settings will be different with their specific driving location and changes to their engine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Question,

To those that have returned to the factory 152 main jet, did you also change your needle to stock or leave in the DJ needle? There has to be a diameter difference.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used the d/j needle and spring and set the needle up per d/j's instructions for my elevation. I also set the F/A screw at 2 1/8 turns out instead of the 3 turns that d/j calls for. After screwing around with the #144, 146, and 148 D/J mains, I put the stock #152 back in and this is the best set up for "me". No stalling, no overheating, no problems whatsoever and plenty of power. I'm happy! A local honda tech ( who has installed more than a few d/j kits ), told me to throw the d/j jets away and use the stock #152. In "my"case he was right. I'm not saying it will work for everyone.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'll try it for the hell of it. It does not make any sense that they would send a smaller jet than stock in the kit, but "to each his own" I guess.....

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Stupid Question for the Carb Experts:

I have a stock 03 that is used primarily on a ranch. No need for any performance mods but am considering a 2" tip just for the pleasure of the sound. Will this mess up the stock jetting?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, I'm far from being an expert but I have the 2' tip plus the K&N W/outerwear and mine has never overheated and I run the stock #152 jet. In fact, the fan very seldom comes on. ( knock on wood ). No pun intended Woodman. LOL. That's at about 1000' elevation and running it throughout the hot summer months. I think that the rincon is on the rich side from the factory anyway. Atleast mine was. Their are a lot of opinions out there, just as valid as mine, but that's whats working for me. I think the 2" tip is one of the best and cheapest mods out there, if for nothing else but the sound.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put everything back to stock (except Uni filter and 2" tip, and dyna spring) after mucking with that sorry excuse for a jet kit. :)

I've never used jet kit.. never wanted to. But everyone said "my rinny runs like a raped aped after installing it!" so I thought I'd give it a shot.

What a waste... I'd be happy to sell the kit for $25 shipped minus the spring. :)

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
bvstone, wow,,, I cant believe that you were not able to get the DJ kit to give you any performance... Im not exactly sure what you would have been expecting from a jet kit that by your standard isnt a sorry excuse, but it would appear to me that maybe you have, or had other conditions with your machine, or the instructions were not clear enough for you.

There is no doubt that jetting isnt a simply pop it open once and stick in a new jet and call it a day.. although this may work for some, it isnt the best practice... there does need to be some experimentation as the driver and driving style will dictate where the best jet sizes, and needle settings are going to deliver the greatest degree of performance.

The DJ kit is not a sorry excuse of a jet kit, its a box with an assortment of main jets and a needle and spring...the right tools in the hands of the inexperienced and unwilling will never work.

I dont mean this as a personal attack on you, I understand how frustrating some of this stuff can be... 2 weeks ago I was ready to put it all back to stock.. until I watched a more experienced rider do a wheelie down my back lane with the front end in the air about 5 feet high...and I have 26 inch mudlites on my machine... you do that with your stocker, and I'll go back to stock with you...

I have been at a point with my machine where it wouldnt idle, wouldnt move, and wouldnt cooperate at all...and believe me, I was frustrated... but some tinkering here and there, alot of reading, and replacing them damn soft philips screws with some M4 cap screws...and im confident im going to get all the power out of that 650 that there is to be had... and well, if I dont, there is always nitrous...;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's funny Mudchucker!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is the stock main jet bigger than in the kit?

I thought the Kit #148 was bigger than the stock?

I just had mine installed and seems good low and mid. Not sure about high yet. At first I thought it was struggling, but more I use it, it seems fine in hight also.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
bvstone,
You may want to make sure you air/fuel mixture screw is adjusted correctly. I re-adjusted mine last week and finaly got to ride it today. I showered down on the throttle and sat down on the seat, the front end came up like Fido begging for a bone. It was night and day difference once I got the adjustment right.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts