Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there RINCON gets hot on the side panels and down around there ankles. Mine gets hotter the heck after riding for and hour or more...I didnt know if this was normal or if something might be wrong.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Is it primarily on the left side? That's the side that the exhaust pipe is on, so it will get warm. I've never actually touched mine to see how hot it gets, but you can feel hot air blowing on your leg if you ride in shorts...

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
During my desert riding, left side = mighty toasty!

Add some Wetter Water to drop it a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep left side gets pretty warm.

I use water wetter to help the radiator disapate heat quicker and to not have the fan come on as often.

But never can understand how any water wetter lowers engine temperature; it may improve cooling system effeciency maybe. If the thermostat is working correctly it will start to open when the engine reaches the rated temp of the thermostat and continue opening as needed to maintain that temperature. Then the radiator and fan take over cooling the water to maintain that temperature. So unless you are at a temperature well above the ability of the radiator and fan to deal with the heat produced by the engine how does water wetter lower engine temperature?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep left side gets pretty warm.

I use water wetter to help the radiator disapate heat quicker and to not have the fan come on as often.

But never can understand how any water wetter lowers engine temperature; it may improve cooling system effeciency maybe. If the thermostat is working correctly it will start to open when the engine reaches the rated temp of the thermostat and continue opening as needed to maintain that temperature. Then the radiator and fan take over cooling the water to maintain that temperature. So unless you are at a temperature well above the ability of the radiator and fan to deal with the heat produced by the engine how does water wetter lower engine temperature?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually mine gets hot on the right side...after riding for an hour or so the side panels even get hot.

What exactly is water wetter supposed to do, I work in the environmental industry and we use a product called surfactant (dish washing soap) which makes water "wetter" allowing it to penetrate into materials such as asbestos reducing fiber release. If that is the same as this product, which it sounds very close, it is basically soap.

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ol Gerk,
It does basically the same thing. It was designed for race cars to work in place of anti-freeze, which race cars do not use. It does lower the engine temperature, but probably not more than a couple of degrees.

John

·
Registered
54 Posts
According to the manufacturer of Water Wetter, Red Line Oil. They claim that it can lower temps as much as 30 degrees farenheit. Check it out at www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?productID=53

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rincon John,
I agree with the 30 degrees, but that is in a race environment. The Rincon has anti-freeze and a very small amount fo Water Wetter. The affect is not as dramatic.

John

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do race cars run thermostats? I still don't understand how the water temp in an engine running a properly working thermostat can be significantly effected by water wetter. The engine produces more heat than the block can disapate thus a radiator. Water doesn't flow to the radiator util the thermostat opens, it contiues to open further to try maintain the set temperature of the thermostat. In the Rincon when that isn't enough the fan comes on.

·
Registered
576 Posts
parkgt;
Does it help to know that there is one person who understands what it is that you are saying? You are right by the way. Maybe the water wetter would help for those times when the thermostat is open, the fan is running, and still the cooling system is overtaxed. Maybe it would help the cooling system to keep up in those types of situations.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jay,
Thanks, that helps. What box do you have?
Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine used to burn my leg heres what I did first I replaced the spark arrestor with a 2" tailpipe gives a bit more power and a lot less back pressure then I removed the side panels and stainless steel exhaust guard and wrapped the exhaust pipe with a 1 inch by 15 foot long piece of exhaust wrapping material this covered about 30 inches of the pipe put it all back together and it is much cooler,more quick gets slightly better fuel economy and the tailpipe is not discolored due to the heat buildup cost me about 75 bucks altogether and it is money well spent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts