Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a miss at wide open throttle and thought maybe I had fouled a plug so I put in a new one and it didn't help. I decided to go from the 148 main jet (DJ) to a 158 Keihne yesterday. I have been running the needle on the second notch. After installing the 158 main jet it had a really terrible hesitation or flat spot from stand still. I moved the clip from the 2nd notch to the 4th without any washers and it disappeared. Was very relieved. Have not had it out to see how the 158 does but it does not blow black smoke and the plug looks pretty good but I have only run it down the alley. The wot miss is there. I am wonderinf if I am hitting the rev limiter. I do not kknow at what rpm it kicks in. Anyone know? I have loaned out my tach but supposed to get it back next week and should be able to get a better idea of what rpm it is acting up at. It is raining today so I hope to go and play in the mud tomorrow and see how it does. Any ideas on the rpm of the rev limiter? Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wonder why it seems the Rincons react so much different to a Dynojet. I am at 2500' and just rejetted for 4k-6k'. In went the dj140 on the second clip and 2 1/2 turns on the A/f and it absolutly runs like a raped ape. NO off idle hesitation, no problem through out the entire range all the way to the limiter. I was astounded when I slammed the the throttle on asphalt from a stand still it would put the nose in the air!! I had entertained the thought of going up another size but I am not going to get greedy, it runs SO good I am going to leave it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I took my dj kit out, went back to stock... runs better than it ever did. I bought the kit out of curiosity because of all the "raped ape" stories.

To tell the truth, getting the a/f screw correct, clipping the stock spring in half and one or two shims on the stock needle still works better that the DJ kit.. but it was worth a try.

The problem with the hesitation is this carb needs a accellerator pump for such a large engine. The hesitation will go away when you richen the midrange, but it's helping the hesitation only, and then running too rich after that.. so the key is to find a happy medium.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have to be honest when i say this....My rinny does run like a raped ape most of the time. Its just every now and then it will stall from a full throttle start from idle. Only about 2-3 times out 10 will it do it, I agree thats 2-3 times too many, but when its hauling ass the other 70-80% of the time its easier to look past. I dont regret my jet-kit at all, I just wish I'd bought one sooner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What is the factory main jet size supposed to be?

I just took the carb out on my 05 and it has a 152 main in it.
All of the DJ jets start at 150 and just go smaller.
I thought the whole idea was to get more fuel not less.
I am really confused with this, especially when Pablo says his ran great on the DJ 140 which is really tiny when compared to the stock 152.

Please somebody, tell me what I am missing here.

I am not even going to open the DJ kit I have at this point. This is not at all what I expected.

On my XR650L the stock was 152 in it as well, which was increased to 158 in order to get it to run right. The whole idea is to go up in size not down like Pablo did, and by what this silly DJ kit suggests.

HELP!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was as perplexed as you regarding the jet size nomenclature. After comparing DJ jets to stock Kehin sizes this is what I found....The DJ jets are substantially larger for a given numerical size. In the end, for comparison, the DJ 144 was nearly identical to the stock Kehin 152. I believe the real improvement comes from the taper on the needle and the lighter spring. Turns out that Dynojet headquarters are here in Las Vegas (lucky me...) I needed a kit for my wife’s 400AT. It was not readily available so I dropped in on them. They don't like to sell over the counter but they obliged. Talking to a rep, he said that the DJ jets are also tapered inside and not a straight bore. If you drop in a needle from one side and compare it to the other side this becomes evident. What the advantage is here is anyone's guess. Bottom line is the DJ jet size appears to run larger than Kehin. This explains their altitude/sizing schedule. What confuses me now is that after installing the DJ in the 400at...it is jetted IDENTICAL to the Rincon...144dj second clip and A/f 3 turns out...and the 400at has a smaller carb and less cc's....go figure...oh well, they both run great and kick ass now, I’m satisfied with that...

Paul...

PS: pilgrim4life...Dynojet is at Craig and Losee behind JCH cable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts