Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about setting the TPS? My Rincon was running great after I did the idle/AF mixture adjustment posted in the "no more stalling" thread.

Then I went riding today. Halfway through the ride, it basically stopped upshifting except when using LOTS of throttle. I figure the TPS is out of adjustment now. But I have no idea how to set it, or even how to get to the top screw that holds it in place because the frame is in the way. It looks like you have to pull the whole damn carb out to get to it. Man what a PITA this thing is.

Anybody know the procedure for setting it?

Rob

·
Registered
322 Posts
LOL Rob, your Rincon gives you nothing but trouble huh? Do you have a service manual? It tells how to do it. Can't tell ya right off hand, but I could probably look at it tomorrow and tell you. I don't have the updated Ohms numbers, though. The ones in the manual are incorrect.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what page it's on? I finally have a copy of the manual here, but haven't been able to find anything on the adjustment.

Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rob, the page that you are looking for is 24-42 Throttle Position Sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the page I found. It makes no mention whatsoever about adjusting the TPS.... ugh.

I reset the ECM and rode it and it still shifts wrong. Guess I'll have the dealer look at it tomorrow when they check the trans pressure.

Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rob, Go to page 24-44.
It says, Adjust the TP sensor position so that the resistance between terminals A and B is 580 - 620 Ohms and tighten the torx screws.

Connect the throttle sensor connector.

Perform the initial setting procedure (pilot screw adjustment).

Also, There are three terminals in the connector A is the center, and B is one of the outside. A=(Yellow/black). B=(Green/yellow).

My service manual is an 04, so it should be up to date.
I hope this isn't to late.

TrailBoss

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rob, did you ever get the TPS adjusted and did this help your problem? I have been having a similar shifting problem. After riding a while and things are good and warmed up, it seems to take forever to upshift. Was thinking O Rings but maybe it is the TPS adjustment. That's a lot easier fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rob, you out there?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did this adjustment. After a bit of the old "back and forth", i.e. chasing the resistance values around, I finally settled in on 602 ohms and that made the trans shift very well. Now, when I am on the trail and under power, the trans reacts much more quickly, downshifting when I punch it, and upshifting wwhen needed too.

I may check it again on the next valve adjustment, but I also think I will set it with the engine warm next time to see if that does indeed make any difference also. The top screw on that sensor was a bitch to get out. I had to use a #25 Torx bit with a 1/4" ratcheting wrench. It worked good, but buggered-up the insides of the torx in the screw. I'll probably replace with stainless steel hex-head cap screws next time too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts