Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd start a new thread rather than reply in the old one... this oughta get more attention.

They tested my oil pressure today, but not after I had to tell 'em to stick the quad up their ass, storm out, and call Honda Customer Service. That call did nothing, actually. I had to call the GM back and bitch at him for fifteen minutes first. Man these guys are piece of work!! They expected me to sign a form saying I'd pay them an hour's labor for each of the four items I wanted them to look at, in case Honda wouldn't cover it. That's just lame no matter how you look at it. I refused.

Anyway... get this shit. They hooked up their guage, and said starting at 3000 RPM, the oil pressure pegged their guage, which maxxes out at 160 psi, and stays there to 5000 RPM. This happened when they tested the line pressure, as well as the pressure in each gear.

Spec in the service manual says 114 psi. It doesn't say "at least" 114 psi. It doesn't say 114 psi +/- anything. It just says 114 psi. So what the hell does 160+ psi mean????

They have a call into their district service rep to see what the deal is, but who knows when I'll hear back.

They swear that they warmed the machine up properly first. I didn't get to see any of this because they won't let anybody anywhere near the service area.

I dunno what to do. This is so frustrating, I could scream!

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rob, makes me wonder if the gauge has been checked for calibration. If the gauge has been dropped then it could be off. Ask them and you shall be offended, but only after they are. "No its not a laughing matter" Hope to find out the origional numbers are wrong. Good Luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Rob, a few weeks ago I noticed a drop in power in third gear. I hooked up the Honda issued gauge and tested the pressures; I got 80-85 psi at each test port (there are five test ports). I called Honda and told them of my findings. The person I taked to immediately told me that they had seen other Rincons with this problem. He told me to order the eight oil pump o-rings and that the replacement o-rings Honda would send would be blue in color as opposed to the original black. He also told me that Honda was covering this repair under warranty even on units past the warranty period; I was 6 months past my warranty period. I made the repair (very simple to work on BTW) and warmed up the engine to recheck the oil pressure, just to make sure all was well. I had an oil pressure of 160 psi at 5000 rpm with the engine very warm. I called back the Honda technician and explained the situation. He told me not to worry about it, plain and simple. So I haven't worried about it and have put on over 300 miles since doing the repair, my Rincon is running great. Just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When you changed your O Rings, did you have to pull the convertor? According to the service manual, you have to pull the convertor to get to the top oil pump bolt. Since you already did the fix, was curious if you really have to pull it. Also, what kind of sealer did you end up using on the case? Other than that, the job looks pretty straight forward. Just pull the front case cover off and the the oil pump is right there. 4 O Rings in the front of it, 4 in back.

I just bought the O Rings to do the job myself, figured it may be OK now but will most likely get me at some point. The O Rings were less than $1 each so why not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ATVTech,

Where did you get the Honda approved guage, and was it expensive? I haven't had any problems with my Rincon but I do the maintenance on it and would like to get it pro-actively.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
RobG

I have a 03 which at start up does not want to go, I put it in gear but it does not go anywhere no matter how much throttle is applied. If you take it out and put it back into gear a couple of times it finally will move. In addition when it is warm it hesitates when I give it gas before it kicks in and moves. Are these the same sort of problems you are having or is yours different. Sorry for the getting in late I am fairly new to the site and missed the last comments.

Thanks

'03 - Rincon - ITP Alum. Wheels - 589 Tires - 3000 warn winch - warn front and rear bumpers

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If Honda says 160 psi is fine, then I guess it's time to set fire to this POS and walk away, because then the O-Rings must not be the problem. It's a dog no matter how you look at it, and the way the dealer has treated me makes me never want to own another Honda product of any type.

*sigh*

Rob

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Ol Gerk

Make sure you have fresh oil, the oil is full and try it again. If you notice slipping from 1 gear to another, or a lack of power when it tries to shift, (engine revs up but the speed does not change as quickly as it used to) then you got the O Ring blues... no pun intended but you'll need the new Blue O rings.

My Rincon is going under the knife tomorrow for this operation.

Oilcan

·
Registered
576 Posts
RobG;
I wonder if these factory reps would be interested at all in how very much word of mouth can be generated on these forums. I will guarentee you that Polaris has lost no small amount of sales because of all the Polaris owners who have had troubles with their quads.

I had intended to buy a Polaris, but when I saw the troubles that so many reported, even though my experiences with Polaris had been good in the past, I opted to buy the Honda. This Rincon is an all new design, and if these guys leave us Rincon owners ticked off and grumbling, Honda is going to lose out on sales. Maybe they just don't give a rip at this point, but sooner or later they are going to take notice of this stuff.

Show the dumb jerks this thread. You can let them know that these high end 4x4 quads are not being purchased by nitwit teenagers, but older adult buyers who have money. Money that they can take elsewhere next time they go to buy a new quad.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jay, I don't think RobG's problem has much to do with Honda, it has to do with his crappy dealer. Honda is voluntarily repairing out of warranty units with bad o-rings; that's parts and labour. What more can Honda do to help the customers? They're giving us the usual great Honda service. Rob's problem is obviously not with the oil pump o-rings, but his dealer is not being any help at all in trying to find what the problem actually is. This is not Honda's fault at all.

By the way, I think people are blowing this whole oil pump o-ring issue way out of proportion, it is a very simple fix that requires changing out eight small rubber o-rings. Talk to some Polaris Sportsman 700 owners who have had their left side rod bearings go out and had to pay for the whole repair. Polaris is not doing anything for them. We all knew we were taking a chance buying a new model ATV, but let's be thankful that the manufacturer is voluntarily repairing the small problems that always arise with new designs.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Honda DOESN'T give a rat's ass about this stuff. It's because they have such a big head. They think they're Honda the Almighty, and people will flock to them no matter what. And people DO, that's the problem. But people do that to Polaris as well.

I've noticed that there are Honda die-hards and Polaris die-hards that will buy NOTHING but their respective brand, no matter if there's a better machine elsewhere and they even KNOW it. It's these people that Honda and Polaris bank on. It's people like us -- people who know what the heck they're talking about, and who communicate, that annoy them. They'd rather piss us off so we just go away.

I was thinking a little while ago about something that happened at the dealer yesterday morning soon after I arrived. Those guys in service really do think customers are complete idiots. The guy asked me if I'd ever had it in for service there, I said no. He chuckled and said the valves were supposed to be adjusted at 100 miles. NO SHIT, SHERLOCK! I told him I do all of my own work; dealers don't touch my stuff unless there's a real problem.

What I plan to do is cancel my extended warranty and get it refunded back to my loan to drop the principle. I will decide what to do with this POS on my own... whether it involves tearing it apart myself, leaving it the way it is, or modding it (cam, etc). But I do know that Honda has lost a customer and gained an enemy that will NOT shut up. Ever.

What sucks is I REALLY like that little Rancher AT, but I won't buy one because of how I've been treated. Maybe a used one, but not a new one.

Rob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe it needs a good dose of some nasty mud. LOL! Try going to a different dealer. I go about 20 miles farther for everything due to the rep of the closest dealer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ATVtech! I was one of the SP700 owners you mentioned. Your right! Biggest POS made. I won't even go into all the problems I had with it. Sold it and bought the Rincon. I couldn't be happier. Polaris has the most arrogant cust serv dept that you could imageine.
RobG! I don't know if this is true in your case but everything in the service manual is not accurate. When their is a change, Honda issues what they call a "wrench memo" to all dealers (try to find another one) informing them of the change. I found this out the hard way. I wonder if this is the case with the 160psi and 114psi issue with the oil pump deal. I understand your frustration. Been there! I had a "very positive" experience with Honda cust serv when I suffered through the cracked cylinder head problem. I told them I didn't trust my dealer to fix it so they called my dealer. My dealer was not happy. They are sooo nice now!! Major repair. They fixed it in less than two days. I would give Honda cust service another call. I'll be comeing out your way (Vegas) on June 3rd and when I win enough money I'm going to buy "another Rincon". I wouldn't give up on the Rincon yet but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sidewinder:

No... if I sell the Rincon, it'll be the last Honda I ever own. I would pick up a used Rancher 400AT if I found one at a fair price, or MAYBE a new one at an exceptional price (a place in MS has 'em for $4899). That's once I have some money again.

But after having been treated so poorly by both this dealer and by Honda, I'm not so sure I want another Honda.

Rob

·
Registered
322 Posts
Rob, sounds like alot of people are just screwing you over on this whole deal. Personally, I think you need to get your own gauges, start with fresh oil, warm it up properly, and test it yourself. I hate dealing with dealerships. You have no clue if they have done everything properly or if they have done anything at all! They could tell you they did it, but you really wouldn't have a clue. There is obviously something wrong with your Rincon. If the oil pressure checks out ok, then I would look at the camshaft to make sure te lobes haven't rounded off. It would be very easy to check. Sorry, I really don't have much else to tell ya.

I think that we all need to get together and help Rob fix this damn Rincon! LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rob, Just food for thought, if your Rincon was warmed up properly before the oil pressure test was done and pressure indicated 160psi throughout the test procedure could your oil pump relief valve be stuck closed causing high oil pressure? This could be the major cause of the o-rings going bad, (High Pressure) due to a faulty relief valve. Has anybody had there relief valve replace due to problems? When the motor is cold the relief valve should open to relieve pressure due to viscosity of the oil. As the oil warms up the relief valve should close maintaining proper oil pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured I'd start a new thread rather than reply in the old one... this oughta get more attention.

They tested my oil pressure today, but not after I had to tell 'em to stick the quad up their ass, storm out, and call Honda Customer Service. That call did nothing, actually. I had to call the GM back and bitch at him for fifteen minutes first. Man these guys are piece of work!! They expected me to sign a form saying I'd pay them an hour's labor for each of the four items I wanted them to look at, in case Honda wouldn't cover it. That's just lame no matter how you look at it. I refused.

Anyway... get this shit. They hooked up their guage, and said starting at 3000 RPM, the oil pressure pegged their guage, which maxxes out at 160 psi, and stays there to 5000 RPM. This happened when they tested the line pressure, as well as the pressure in each gear.

Spec in the service manual says 114 psi. It doesn't say "at least" 114 psi. It doesn't say 114 psi +/- anything. It just says 114 psi. So what the hell does 160+ psi mean????

They have a call into their district service rep to see what the deal is, but who knows when I'll hear back.

They swear that they warmed the machine up properly first. I didn't get to see any of this because they won't let anybody anywhere near the service area.

I dunno what to do. This is so frustrating, I could scream!

Rob
Rob, a few weeks ago I noticed a drop in power in third gear. I hooked up the Honda issued gauge and tested the pressures; I got 80-85 psi at each test port (there are five test ports). I called Honda and told them of my findings. The person I taked to immediately told me that they had seen other Rincons with this problem. He told me to order the eight oil pump o-rings and that the replacement o-rings Honda would send would be blue in color as opposed to the original black. He also told me that Honda was covering this repair under warranty even on units past the warranty period; I was 6 months past my warranty period. I made the repair (very simple to work on BTW) and warmed up the engine to recheck the oil pressure, just to make sure all was well. I had an oil pressure of 160 psi at 5000 rpm with the engine very warm. I called back the Honda technician and explained the situation. He told me not to worry about it, plain and simple. So I haven't worried about it and have put on over 300 miles since doing the repair, my Rincon is running great. Just thought I'd share my experience.
So any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been trying to work my low oil pressure problem for years now throwing hundreds of dollars at my quad. I love it and don’t want to give up but I’m at a loss now. I got 5 psi on all ports. Changed torque converter cause one way bearing was no good and changed all O rings as well as check all tolerances on the oil pump which were good but still low pressure. I hope someone can help cause I’m so so lost as to where Im bleeding off all my pressure somewhere. Please help me save my rinny

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts