Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just owned my 04,for a little over a week now.When I put the
transmission into gear D or R it has a clunk when ingaging.
I was just wondering if this is the normal way it sounds. If anyone
has had a similar occurrence,or knows anything about it would you
please reply

Trailboss

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the idle but it doesn't seem to work.I don't have a tach
on hand to check it. It also likes to creep while in gear even if
the idle speed is low.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
In that case I'd let the dealer check it out because something isn't right.

Mine will creep very slightly when cold, but once it warms up, it's fine.

Rob

·
Registered
322 Posts
Put it in gear and hold on the brakes for a second. When you let off, it shouldn't creep. If it does, either your idle is way too high or the "creep control" system isn't working right in it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think the creep control works off of the throttle position sensor. You should not be creeping forward even iff your idle is a bit high because, (from what I have read), the Rincon has a clutch that uncouples the drivetrain at idle when the throttle is closed. The "creep control" may not be getting the signal from the throttle position sensor telling it that the throttle is completely shut. Hopefully that would be a simple adjustment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trail Boss the Rincon really needs to warm up before throwing her in gear in cold weather ( below 40F) Once your oil warms up she should engage with a small quick clunk. If the gears grind when you put her in gear after proper warm up you must than adjust your linkage.You will mess up your linkage adjustment when you throw the Rinny into foward and reverse quickly without letting the revs drop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MY RINCON DOES THE SAME THING.WHEN THE MACHINE IS COLD AT ANY TEMP.OTHER THEN OPERATING TEMP.,LET THAT SUCKER WARM UP FOR A FEW MINUTES.THE CLUNK PRETTY WELL
DISAPEARS.I ALSO PUT 10-W40 AMSOIL IN MY BABY,YHAT SPED UP THE WARM UP PERIOD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I set my idle where it wont stall on inclines & certain take offs ...which means its a tad high. Thats the clunk you hear.

Just like when you start your car on a cold morning and shift it into gear before the vehicle is warm and before the rpms drop...same thing - CLUNK . When the car warms up, the "clunk" will go away BECAUSE THE RPMS ARE LOWER. My clunk never completely goes away because I have the idle set a little high when its WARM...it seems to help the stall prob on slow take off and inclines.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been waiting to see if anybody has the same trouble as me,but nobody has the clunk like I do it seems.
When my Rincon is cold it goes into gear just perfect no clunk,
but when it warms up that is when it has it's problem.I should say that it's not really a problem but I no it isn't right.
I have tried adjusting the idle and then reset the ECM but it has no effect.
It's probably just a transmission adjustment,guess I'll have to buy a service manual.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you have a transmission clunk during engagement (regardless if it's hot or cold) and it creeps, you may have the throttle cable adjusted too tight. That would also help explain the lack of idle adjustment on the carb. I would try reducing the throttle cable tension.
Pull the rubber boot back from where the cable exits the thumb lever/ESP/4WD-2WD control and loosen the adjuster wheel. That may bring the idle down and reduce your clunk. Just make sure that after you adjust it, that while idling you turn the handlebars from side to side making sure that engine speed doesn't change.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have lots of idle adjustment. What happens is, when I turn the idle down and hit the throttle the engine stalls , and that makes a worse sound than the transmission clunk. I am also pretty sure that there is a little to much slack in the throttle cable, but not enough to hamper performance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello TrailBoss!
A friend of mine had to have some o ring change in the tranny because it was making it engage to hard.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"when I turn the idle down and hit the throttle the engine stalls" This may be your clue. The air mixture screw sounds like it is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok folks problem solved.
I bought a service manual, $134.00 after tax canadian (ouch),but it paid for itself in the first day. I was able to do a valve adjustment, and adjust the
D-N-R cable at the same time. NO MORE CLUNK !!!!! just a nice easy shift into gear, at any time , any temperature, GO HONDA....

TrailBoss

1 - 18 of 18 Posts