Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to my Honda dealer this morning about having the transmission oil pressure check done, to see if my O-Rings are bad. He told me he'd do it, but if the test comes up okay, that I'd be charged $60 for an hour's labor. I didn't much like that.

He offered to make copies of the test procedure from the service manual so I can do the test myself. So I just have to scare up an oil pressure tester. Does anybody know where I can buy or rent one that'd do? I'm guessing the adapter would have to be metric. Also, would this be a mechanical or electric guage?

I would rather spend $60 on a guage I can reuse, than pay them to do the test themselves, which probably wouldn't take a half hour.

Rob

·
Registered
409 Posts
Seems like a talk with the Honda rep is in order again. Even though you may be out of warranty, it seems to be a known issue and Honda should get involved. Keep us informed on the procedure if you do it yourself. This would be very useful to know. My guess is that you would want to use a mechanical gauge and tie in directly to an oil line.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are four separate plugs that I have to remove (in sequence) to test the pressure... one for line pressure, and one for each of the three gears.

I'm still in warranty and will be for a long tie... four year extended. :)

Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would determine the gauge port (thread)size and the expected pressure range and then go to a decent auto parts store or a professional tool man and see what they've got. If it's too pricey, I have a diagnostic quality oil pressure gauge that I can get to you, but I'm not sure of the range it goes up to (let me know what you need). I know it will need an adaptor made to fit the metric threads. That's probably ten bucks in hardware to manufacture. Let me know if you're interested

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lizard:

Thanks for the offer! I'll call around tomorrow and see what I can find... if I come up empty-handed, I'll PM ya.

The pressure spec is 114 psi from what the Honda guy said, and others on this site have said the same thing (T-Bone and/or ATVTech I think).

Rob

·
Registered
424 Posts
You certainly can just buy any quality oil pressure tester to perform the test yourself. Honda doesn't make the tester they sell to dealers. There are five oil pressure ports on the Rincon. One for the lubrication system, one for the line pressure and three for each of the forward gears. The problem with the lubrication system port is that it is almost directly under the header pipe and requires the use of some kind of elbow fitting to be able to plug in the pressure tester. Honda sells an adapter kit for this exact purpose. Come to think of it, all of the test ports are easier to get to with this adapter kit. Rob, I would just pay the Honda shop to perform the test. This way you know they'll have used the equipment Honda recommends to do the job right. Also, you'll have to fabricate an adapter fitting to access most of the test ports. How much is your time worth to you? Either way, I'm glad to see you're getting this checked out. I was glad when my o-rings went out, now I know I have the redesigned parts installed in my Rincon and I know it won't happen again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Rob, 114 psi @ 5000 RPM.The thread size that you need in metric is
M8 x 1.25 mm banjo adapter. The service manual also has a picture of a three piece gang
set of gauges , that are all hooked up at the same time (1st,2nd,3rd).All are at 114psi @5000 RPM. Hope that this helps

TrailBoss

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't understand why this is not covered under warranty. If there is a suspected problem, it should be checked out by them and covered. This is not like you going in and having it done just to see what the pressure is for your satisfaction. You have performance problems and they should find them. That is like if I thought I had a bad rod bearing, they would tell me to tear into it myself and let them know if it is bad or not. Something does not smell right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ATVTECH, what are you talking about...the new style orings..and what ones? I am having problems with my Rincon tranny too. I would like to know more before I call Honda.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i agree, rob, just tkae it there, have them do the test, if there is no problem and they want to charge you scream like hell and call honda, they will cover it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I hate to seem like a fence rider here but I can see RobG's point in not wanting to just spend $60 when for the same money he could own the equipment to do the checks himself from then on.

At the same time, since RobG has the extended warranty, like I do on both of mine, I would indeed expect Honda to test and fix if necessary a brand new tranny design. Surely Honda must be expecting at least a few glitches in this brand new tranny design. If fixed right away with no crap involved, the reputation of the new design will not suffer, and sales of this new design should not be affected by the few, easily corrected problems.

If, on the other hand, RobG and others are forced to go to war with dealers over things that should be fixed right away by Honda,,, the reputation of the Rincon is going to suffer. Maybe they don't care now, but if they were to drop in sales and be overtaken by other brands, I would hope that some arrogant corporate heads would roll.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with Jay and Duramax, it SHOULD be covered under warranty. I'm going ot talk to the dealer today about that very topic. Maybe at the very least they'll agree to a half-hour charge, which I could live with.

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey 57ringo....read my post called "Only 75km" to get the low-down on the O-ring problem

T-Bone

·
Registered
60 Posts
wait guys...i agree...it SHOULD be covered under the extended warantee.....and really any rincon with this problem should be fixed for free.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one of the first Rincons they ever built. Bought in 2002. Would I have the "bad o-rings" models? If so then how come I am not having any problems yet? Or should I take it in for a pressure test?? How will I know, or what are the symptoms of of o-ring failure?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts