Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I need some advice. This past weekend I took my 2003 Rincon out for opening weekend of deer season. As I left camp the first morning I had to climb two hills. As I went up the first one the trans started slipping. So I had to stop, I put it in neutral and let it idle for a minute and would start to climb, then it would happen again. So I had to keep stopping and starting to get up these hills. What do you think? I know these things need to be warmed up quite a bit and maybe that has something to do with it. It only has 300 miles on and seemed to be fine otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Sounds to me like another case of bad O-Rings in the transmission. If your dealer is any good, they'll get it taken care of.

Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Make sure you have the Honda recommended oil. I know a person who had similar symptoms, and it turned out that he had put the incorrect oil in, which causes the transmission to act a little funky. He was able to change the oil, run it briefly, change the oil again and hasn't had problems since.

Lizard

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have changed the every 100 miles with honda oil & filter so I don't think that is the problem. As far as the o-rings this is the first situation the trans has slipped. I just tried making it slip on my driveway. The driveway is not as steep as the hill was, but the Rincon was cold and I held the front brakes and all it did was spin the back tires, no slipping. Any other info would be a help. I going to talk to my dealer today!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Every 100 miles....good heck, I'd spend more time changing the oil than riding. You do realize the machine has a light that will come on when the oil change is due, usually the first 100 miles, then every 600 miles after that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your engine oil is not hot, your torque converter will not function. This means you need hot oil and 5 min warm up is not enough. Ten minute warm up should cure your problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never let my Rinny warm up for 5 minutes, maybe 1 -2 minutes tops and only in very cold sub-freezing temperatures has there ever been any sort of tranny issue and they were temporary. Am I hurting it by not letting it warm up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya said, you use Honda oil. Be sure it is the right Honda oil!!! They have oil that has additives that is a no-no for Rincons. And be sure to let it warm up as stated above for at least 2 minutes to fill the converter, or it "will" slip.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Could GraeagleRincon's problem be a low oil level issue?? If the o-rings are ok, but the wrong type of Honda oil was used, and/or the level is quite a bit low I could see where this type of transmission would slip in that manner.

My Rincon will be 1yr old on Sept 1. 1150 miles to date. Out of all these miles, my transmission has acted up maybe 2-3 times for a very brief period. I mean no longer than 5 seconds. The transmission problem I encountered has always happened while trying to move from a stand still. Even after the bike had been in use for an hour or more. You would shift into drive and nothing..? No noise of any kind, just nothing. Shift into reverse and it seemed fine, back into drive and all was well. (yes the shifter was all the way forward in drive, double checked each time this happened)

Similar to what Buckeye Rincon stated, I only let my bike warm up for 1 minute or so in the warm weather and 2 to 3 minutes in the sub-freezing weather. I never take right off wide open though. Usually run at a moderate rate through the gears first, then ride how ever I want.

I have only used Honda 4-Stroke GN4/10W40 SJ oil. It has been 6 months or more since it last happened. I don't see this a being a big issue on my bike as the transmission has worked perfectly 99% of the time. ( based on 3 issues out of the roughly 1000 times the transmission has been shifted into drive in a 1 yr period )

Any one else experience this type of transmission slipping or just not working at all issue?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Rincon has a rev sensor that will not let you shift into Drive or Reverse if the RPM's are too high. Sometimes when my Rincon is on choke and cold the idle is too high and it won't shift into gear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I just wanted to let you guys know what happened with my slipping transmission. After 3 weeks of trying to my dealer to call Honda's Tech line they finally called me back. Honda told them that the Rincon has to be fully warmed up before a FULL load can be placed on the transmission. If it is not fully warmed up(5 minutes) it can slip. I had not experienced this problem before because usually I ride around on flat ground for a while before going up any steep hills. I took it out and after proper warm up to took every hill I could throw at it. Honda also said to make sure I was using 10w-40 oil and the right type. Just wanted to tell everyone it is not always the o-rings and to have some faith in their Honda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts