Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had no trouble so far with 1500 miles. But here latly it seems like it takes longer for the transmission to work right. It use to be after about one minute after a cold start the transmission worked good. Now it seems to take at least 3 minutes for the transmission to take ahold from a cold start and engage the way it should. Anyone else notice this??? After its warmed up, its fine. Just first cold start seems to take longer for the transmission to engage right without slipping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have experienced similar problems, if you would call them problems I guess. It is never a bad thing to let the machine warm up for at least a minute or two when it hasn't been driven for a while. It takes a little time for all the fluids to get going thoughout every part of the machine. Taking that extra minute or two may save you lots of trouble in the long run.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My Honda dealer went so far as to tell me to let it warm up for a full
10 minutes.
He says the trany won't work until the oil is hot.
I have never done this, but do let it warm up them length of time it takes
to get my riding boots and gloves on, and put the garage door opener into my pocket, which is probably about 2-3 minutes. During cold weather it will also
warm up while I put my winter riding outfit on, so that adds another 2-3 mins.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just went through a similar issue with my Rincon. I had the dealer call the Honda tech line and he was told that the transmission would not fully pressurize until the machine is warmed up, usually 5 min. This means you can not put a full load on the transmission with out some slippage until it is warmed up. Most of the people ride a little ways before this happens so it is usually not a big deal. Also keep in mind the longer the machine sits between rides and the colder it is the longer it will take to pressurize the trans.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hogcat - I expierence the same problem at times. I changed my oil and found the transmision shifted as smooth as silk. You may want to consider changing your oil more often or look at the temperature and change to 05/30. The Rincon is certainly cold blooded and needes to be warmed up and I agree with the comment letting it warm up will will pay off in the long run. I let mine run for about 5 min. and then take off I usually use the esp in the beginning, but then I prefer shifting it manually most of the time any way.
When I changed the oil I purposely did not use the esp mode to start just to see and it definetely shifted smoother than it did on my previous ride.
hope this helps
have a great day
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts