Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have all seen the thread of what type of oil to use. I just looked today at the excat oil I have in my bike (still have the 'jug'). Well, its 10w-30. I am going to go to wall-mart tonight and try to find something that I can dump the oil into from my bike and get some new oil there so I can change that crap out of there...I will let everyone know if it changes my performance..

PEACE~~

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah,

It seems there is no definitive answer when it comes to oil.I have been running good ole GN4 10w-40 with no problems what so ever.
Ive heard the rumors of a Honda tech Bulletin about using 5w-30 but no one can seem to produce any hard evidence,at least that I could find anyway.

I guess until someone comes up with something more concrete I will stick with whats worked for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you read the manual it says you can use either 10-30W or 5-30W. I choose the 5-30 (temp ranges from 0 - 90 degrees...thats perfect for where i live). I also found out that some types of oil cause clutch slippige according to the manual. if the label mentions "conserves energy" then DONT BUY IT! That is why i changed mine, and the fact i wanted to try the lighter weight oil. I am going to the walls of Jerico on my bike sunday afternoon and will report to you how it does..

P.S. I HATE changeing the chunk oil in the front chunk!! Pieace of crap is really hard to get to!! I had to take an old pipe cut it and shove it into the oil container then squeeze as hard as I could for 15 minutes to get it to fill the crappy thing up...shesh...any ideas on how else to do this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
What makes the Rotella 5W-40 synthetic so special? Ive heard people talk pretty highly of it.But is it really meant for atv applicable uses?

Just curious is all.Does anybody have any feed back on the HP4?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm courious on the Rotella too.... Its a diesel oil, what amkes everyone think it will be good for our quads?????

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can read about it here:

http://www.rotella.com/rotella_t_synthetic.html

I am going to try this next time:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/aff.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where in here does it give you the assumption its good for quads?

ROTELLA® T Synthetic

Product benefits and technology
Shell ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 is a fully synthetic, heavy-duty engine oil. It combines outstanding cold-temperature starting and advanced soot-handling capacity. It helps prolong engine life, even in extreme conditions. The proprietary Shell formulation meets virtually every advanced OEM specification. Because it uses the Shell synthetic base oil technology, ROTELLA® T Synthetic is more fluid than conventional oils under cold start conditions, which means better circulation, less wear on start-up, and easier starting throughout the service period, with little to no viscosity breakdown. Because it carries the Shell and ROTELLA® names, you can count on high standards and quality.

Superb soot handling
Stricter emission requirements and engine design changes have led to more soot going into the oil in today’s high-technology diesel engines. Rotella® T Synthetic provides excellent protection against engine wear and viscosity thickening due to soot.

ROTELLA® T Synthetic:

Meets engine warranty requirements to the maximum allowable drain by the OEM
Provides outstanding wear protection
Withstands extreme heat
Provides superb soot handling
Enhances cold-temperature starting
Has low volatility
Offers superior oxidation stability
Improves fuel economy, up to 3%
Lowers oil consumption
Is available where you buy ROTELLA® T
Applications
Because ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 was developed especially to meet the requirements of today’s high performance diesel engines and because it carries the latest gasoline engine credentials (API SL), it’s ideally suited for use in heavy-duty and light-duty diesel and gasoline engines, even in the most extreme conditions.

Specifications and approvals
ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 meets or exceeds all requirements of API CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, and CF; Cummins CES 20076 (extended drain); Mack EO-M Plus (extended drain); Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Dodge, Ford, International, Navistar and Volvo.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks to me like that Rotella is more for diesel engines

"ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 was developed especially to meet the requirements of today’s high performance diesel engines"

Personally, I will get the honda GN4 next time (i didnt this time because the honda place is closed on weekends and I REFUSE to buy anything else from KC powersports the IDOTS!

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have used the rotella syn 5w-40 for over 1200 miles{i have 2250 on it now},mainly because no dealers here have any oil that is less than a 10w and i ride when it is cold{out of state} and i wanted the better flow at low temps.

i don't claim to know if it is better or not but i also run the regular rotella in my tool truck and have never had a oil related problem on it in 105000 miles.

i also run the synthetic in my truck,motorcyle and honda aquatrax's(watercraft)the price is good and the availability is great(wal-mart)

all i know is i don't have all the problems with starting or the transmission when cold that you see posted all over the net,also it is a non-energy conservering oil that is the big thing that matters on the rincon if you read the owners manual.i still change it at the proper intervals and i do not expect any problems.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't get me wrong... All I use in my diesels is Rotella..... And i love the synthetic..... Even though its not a real synthetic like Mobil's oils.... But it does not seem like it would be good for quads.... But maybe it is.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am another satisfied Rotella user. If you go to their site or read the container it says it is for gasoline engines also. Honda has good oil made for them, but it is not magic; and it just happens to be very overpriced.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wasn't saying that it was good for quads, I was just posting info on the Rotella so you all can read about it for yourselves...as I said, I am going to use the Amsoil next time, which is made for 4-stroke machines..

·
Registered
46 Posts
For those of you wanting to know what the bulletin says here it is:

Cold Weather Transmission Performance;

When used in cold regions, the TRX650 Rincon must be brought to normal operating temperature before usage. This model uses motor oil in the automatic transmission, which requires some time to normalize the flow characteristics. Additionally, oil viscosity is very important to the proper operation of the transmission.
If a customer has a problem with shifting or climbing performance,make sure he is warming the unit up prior to putting demands on the transmission.Also make sure he is using the correct viscosity oil.Refer to the owners manual for specific recommendations.Do not use oils with graphite or moly,or 'energy conserving'oil.Honda offers 5w-30 oil for use in cold climates.Use 0w-30 oil if operating the unit below 10 F.Some aftermarket oil manufacturers offer 0w-30 oil.

That is straight from the bulletin hope this helps some of you out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I haven't tried Rotella yet but I hear it's a good oil. Who the hell said it was for diesels only? That's ignorant.

"Applications
Because ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40 was developed especially to meet the requirements of today’s high performance diesel engines and because it carries the latest *GASOLINE ENGINE* credentials (API SL), it’s ideally suited for use in heavy-duty and light-duty diesel *AND GASOLINE* engines, even in the most extreme conditions."

As you can see, it's for both diesel and gasoline engines. Light duty or heavy duty. And why is Rotella not a "real" synthetic?

The only reason I am not looking into Amsoil is because it will cost $24 for it when I can pay $13 for Rotella.

I am doing the oil change tomorrow so I guess I will just have to see how it is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rotella is made from a high grade base stock that is a dino oil.... "real" synthetics are made from some cracked hydrocarbon something..... There has been many long debates in the diesel forums.. and trust me, you would not beleive what they can legaly call synthetic.... A true synthetic has less chemicals to get it to have a large difference in viscosities.....
And no shit, its for gas too... I can read.... How ignorant... Think of the additives they put in there to deal with the soot and diesel oil that mixes with the oil in a diesel engine..... They don't burn clean dumb ass..... What makes you think its good for your quad's tranny..... Honda has warnings everywhere about what oil to use.... And you put an oil in it that is designed for diesels... WTF.... I am not here to attck people... But call me ignorant??? You asked for it... Read up on your oils... Just dont read the cover page or the bottle.... [email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Easy now gentlemen!!!! lets not turn this into an all out attack....We are lucky to have a forum were we can speak freely and not have Rob Bleep out our opinions

Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, I did not post this topic to cause problems. My statement about the rotella "looking to me like it is for diesel engines" came from the insert that came from the webpage of rotella. I NEVER said that it wasnt for gas engines...I just said that it WAS DESIGNED for diesel engines. Its really sad when grown men argue and whine about things when all I tried to do was ask a question. dont take questions as personal attacks against your knoledge. I have said in many threads that I know NOTHING about mechanics! 03Rincon had to hold my hand to help me get the jet kit installed. I am simply a guy with a large investment that I would like to put good things in it and keep it running for a long time...yall make me sick!

·
Registered
151 Posts
My comment were directed to yellow650rincon... I have a lot of diesel experience and was just trying to point out that that oil may not be so good for a quad..... Mobil does not recomend 15w50 sythetic that is rated in the same catagory as rotella.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
jason,

every oil thread on every forum i have seen ends in a big pissing match...i don't know why but they do..

the biggest warning i see from honda is do not use an energy conserving oils or one with graphite or molybdenum additives..(same for my honda watercraft and my kawasaki motorcycle)they are not worried about the transmission..its the clutch plates that they are trying to keep from getting contaminated in the atv and motorcycle..

heres some food for thought too,i run the rotella oil in my tool trucks automatic allison transmission too,it runs 50 degrees cooler and shifts better and finally after me running it for 4 years,allison has said in a bulletin it is ok to run motor oil inplace of tranny fluid for high heat or heavy load applications..the only reason i mention this is for years i got strange looks when i asked it to be changed and i told them to put rotella in it,then i buy the rincon and it uses the same oil as the engine?

like i will always tell anyone use what you feel save with and change it regular,use a good filter and you will have no problems..i will continue to use the rotella as long as it is available,it is the only 5w oil i found that is non energy conserving...that is why i originally changed over to it..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts